What's new

Forwarding an incoming port from OpenVPN to a local LAN IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NetSetGo

Occasional Visitor
Hi!
I have a possibly trivial scenario, which, after searching and reading some vaguely related threads would probably be solvable with iptables and some jffs scripts, but I found nothing that would cover my scenario:

1. I have a VPN service provider, where I configure portforwarding of port 50001
2. On RT-AC5300 I successfully configured and enabled VPN Client 1 to connect to that VPN service provider. I have also enabled strict tunnelling policy and set up three local static IPs to explicitly use this VPN client and disconnect if the tunnel goes down.
3. I now want to set up portforwarding in such a way that port 50001 from the VPN connection (and not from WAN) is forwarded to one of those three LAN IPs.

Could someone help with this, please?

First, make sure you have jffs and custom scripts enabled in Administration->System. Reboot after making any changes. Then open a shell (ssh) to the router using Putty and copy/paste (right-click) the following script into the window. Use the vi editor to make your specific changes to the script (/jffs/scripts/nat-start) for the port forward. Finally, reboot.

Code:
SCRIPTS_DIR="/jffs/scripts"
SCRIPT="$SCRIPTS_DIR/nat-start"

mkdir -p $SCRIPTS_DIR

cat << "EOF" > $SCRIPT
#!/bin/sh

DEV="tun11"
PROTO="tcp"
EXT_PORT="50001"
INT_IP="192.168.1.100"
INT_PORT="22"

ipt() {
    # precede insert/append w/ deletion to avoid dupes
    while iptables ${@/-[IA]/-D} 2> /dev/null; do :; done
    iptables $@
}

# create internal port forward
ipt "-t nat -I PREROUTING -i $DEV -p $PROTO --dport $EXT_PORT \
    -j DNAT --to $INT_IP:$INT_PORT"
ipt "-I FORWARD -i $DEV -p $PROTO -d $INT_IP --dport $INT_PORT \
    -j ACCEPT"

exit 0
EOF

chmod +x $SCRIPT

Last edited:
Thank you, and especially for the install-friendly way :)
I'll test it tonight. Will VPN Client1 interface always be on "tun11" or do I have to look it up and change?

Thanks again! Writing to say that it works perfectly!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!