What's new

Solved Friends can't connect to my server with external IP.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

janoshar

New Around Here
Year after year I have been the one to host a minecraft server for a few weeks when the new minecraft update comes so me and my buddies can have some nostalgia and fun.
Every year I set up the server. In my router settings I set the port and double check the if the server's internal ip is still good. and done. Then I give my friends my external ip. And everything works fine.

But this year I can't figure out why none of them can join. Everything is the same. The router and it's settings, the pc I run the server on.
I'm the only one who can join with the servers and only with it's internal IP. But not with external one.

I just can't figure it out. I looked around for posts on the subject but did not manage the solve the problem.

Please help!

I am sorry if this is not the right place to ask this question. Thank you for the help in advance.

Has your external IP changed? Maybe your ISP has given you a CGNAT address. What are the first two octets of your WAN IP address as reported in your router's GUI?

Has your external IP changed? Maybe your ISP has given you a CGNAT address. What are the first two octets of your WAN IP address as reported in your router's GUI?
My external IP did not change.
The first two octets of my WAN IP: 100.65.x.x

As suspected that is a CGNAT address. If you go to canyouseeme.org you will notice that the IP address doesn't match. So your router will not be directly accessible from the internet.

Yea I read a few articles on CGNAT. Thanks for the tip. Is there a way to get a unique IP like I used to have? (Like in my router settings). Or Do I have to speak with my service provider?

A possible solution to the IPv4 CGNAT problem is to use IPv6. I believe Microsoft does this to some extent using Teredo with it's Xbox Live connection. I don't use that so can't comment on how well it works (or not).

Yea I read a few articles on CGNAT. Thanks for the tip. Is there a way to get a unique IP like I used to have? (Like in my router settings). Or Do I have to speak with my service provider?
You really need to speak to your ISP and ask them to assign you a public IPv4 address. Some ISP's will charge you an additional fee for this.