What's new

Full cone Nat support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Many gamers are convinced this is the magic bullet to solve all their console-related port forwarding issues.

NAT's are evil in a lot of ways - but the benefits for the home user outweigh the general concerns in most cases...

I think the console vendors and ISV's could do a better job of handling NAT's, since they're so very common in their target audience.

NAT's are evil in a lot of ways - but the benefits for the home user outweigh the general concerns in most cases...

Except that a forwarded port is a forwarded port - there should be nothing magical about it. Port gets forwarded to a specific IP, with IP headers getting rewritten by masquerading or dnat. Works perfectly well for almost any type of server... but somehow some games are having trouble handling that, and players invariably pass the buck into their router.

Part of the problem is the esoteric test Microsoft and Sony do on their console, providing end users with equally esoteric "Open NAT" or "NAT type 2" answers,which instantly pushes gamers into panic mode. "It's not Type 1, therefore my router must be broken". Uh.

but you have to understand that it's not just Asus they can only fix what is available to them, some of it is closed off by Broadcom and trend micro.
It is just Asus as only they have contact to Broadcom to get working drivers for their chips. And they got the power to force them otherwise no business!
If they cant get it they would have to use other chips on their routers, but its completely wrong to say its not only Asus problem.

If you build something (house, car, router, whatever) and sell it to customers using faulty components (drivers are part of the chip!!!) or for your purchasing free "features" its ONLY YOU who is responsible for that, nobody else in world!
You use it because these components are cheaper or offers more advanced features and you want to sell for a better price than others to increase your business.
And you sell it fully working with these features, so its up to you to take care you can deliver what you promised!

If you are willing to pay twice the price in Down Under with full support (if you really get it) is ok.
But I would take the risc and buy instead two units for the half price each.
Never got helpful support for my Asus products here in EU!
And I had 10 different Asus products in the past all bought whithin EU!
So I decided to change my mind and get my last 86U from china half a year before they have been offered here.

Last edited:
It is just Asus as only they have contact to Broadcom to get working drivers for their chips. And they got the power to force them otherwise no business!
If they cant get it they would have to use other chips on their routers, but its completely wrong to say its not only Asus problem.

If you build something (house, car, router, whatever) and sell it to customers using faulty components (drivers are part of the chip!!!) or for your purchasing free "features" its ONLY YOU who is responsible for that, nobody else in world!
You use it because these components are cheaper or offers more advanced features and you want to sell for a better price than others to increase your business.
And you sell it fully working with these features, so its up to you to take care you can deliver what you promised!

If you are willing to pay twice the price in Down Under with full support (if you really get it) is ok.
But I would take the risc and buy instead two units for the half price each.
Never got helpful support for my Asus products here in EU!
And I had 10 different Asus products in the past all bought whithin EU!
So I decided to change my mind and get my last 86U from china half a year before they have been offered here.
Actually ASUS doesn't have that much power over broadcom since most of the router manufacturers use it, part of the the issue is the ancient kernel that most of these units have, though I would be curious to see a an asus router based off a qualcomm chipset, maybe it would have be better than the current offering.

Personally I wish I had ipv6 to bypass all the nat issues, bad sadly my ISP hasn't bothered to Implement it yet.

I would be curious to see a an asus router based off a qualcomm chipset, maybe it would have be better than the current offering.
I play Russian roulette all or nothing, I would like INTEL to buy both companies (Broadcom/Qualcomm) and create the best CPU, Wifi chip in history or the worst. :D

I'm tired of ASUS is pure hype and 0/Cero/Zero quality, they only care about selling their prototypes with their new Tomato beta firmware with a different Web GUI.

The only router I recommend buying from ASUS is the RT-AC68U because you can flash this firmware: [Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS

Last edited:
Actually I'd be curious about, an AMD variant, I'm actually saddened that I can get a single board computer for the same price as most routers and it's more powerful, but I'm curious still what Qualcomm based Asus router be like, hopefully it would have full cone Nat support and better qos, and hopefully less bugs.

Asus has a number of Qualcomm-based routers already.
I was hoping for a new unit that doesn't have the 87u's issues hopefully something equivalent to the HND platform.
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't most of the Qualcomm units more business oriented.

I was hoping for a new unit that doesn't have the 87u's issues hopefully something equivalent to the HND platform.
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't most of the Qualcomm units more business oriented.

RT-AC55U, RT-AC58U, RT-AC82U, Asus Lyra - these are all Qualcomm-based.

RT-AC55U, RT-AC58U, RT-AC82U, Asus Lyra - these are all Qualcomm-based.
not one with Aimesh support and Lyra not even a classic router more a mesh-system

RT-AC55U: Version 3.0.0.4.382.50702
RT-AC58U: Version 3.0.0.4.380.8375
RT-AC82U: not existing model
Lyra: Version 3.0.0.4.382.20208

not one with Aimesh support and Lyra not even a classic router more a mesh-system

RT-AC55U: Version 3.0.0.4.382.50702
RT-AC58U: Version 3.0.0.4.380.8375
RT-AC82U: not existing model
Lyra: Version 3.0.0.4.382.20208

The question was whether any Asus router used Qualcomm beyond the BRT-AC828, which I answered.

but I'm curious still what Qualcomm based Asus router be like, hopefully it would have full cone Nat support and better qos, and hopefully less bugs.

Except that a forwarded port is a forwarded port - there should be nothing magical about it. Port gets forwarded to a specific IP, with IP headers getting rewritten by masquerading or dnat. Works perfectly well for almost any type of server... but somehow some games are having trouble handling that, and players invariably pass the buck into their router.

This discussion about full cone NAT is puzzling to me, perhaps because I don't understand how its different from built-in port forwarding. Is full cone NAT a dynamic behavior where inbound mappings are established from outbound mappings on-the-fly and can be used by any other device external to the LAN?

This discussion about full cone NAT is puzzling to me, perhaps because I don't understand how its different from built-in port forwarding. Is full cone NAT a dynamic behavior where inbound mappings are established from outbound mappings on-the-fly and can be used by any other device external to the LAN?
Perhaps you'd like to read the original 690 post thread about it here ;).

Perhaps you'd like to read the original 690 post thread about it here ;).

Nothing useful in the first 80 posts. Perhaps there is a straightforward explanation somewhere in the remaining 610 posts, but I'm not going to bother to try to find out. I guess I shouldn't care because my routing needs so far have been met simply using port forwarding.