1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Full cone Nat support

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by Vexira, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Vexira

Vexira Very Senior Member

Will the gt-ax 5300 or the gt-ax 11000 or the rt-ax 86u or the rt AX 88u support full cone Nat?

As far as I'm aware it can't be enabled in the rt ac88u because of the ancient kernel, I was hoping the 86u or gt 5300 would support it considering that with Merlin firmware there is an option to. Enabled it on the 86u, it would be nice if such an option was present in stock firmware.

Along with fq_codel support in qos.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. Vexira

Any new updates

4. HowIFix

HowIFix Guest

no and there will never be

5. Vexira

Actually it's depends on Asus since Merlin did find code for it on the HND platform but it wasn't enabled, that's partly how he got it working on the 86u.

6. HowIFix

HowIFix Guest

When you see that ASUS cares something, 60% of your firmware is full of bug and you think ASUS will add this option, I recommend you buy the RT-AC86U and Flash Asuswrt-Merlin if you care about that option and forget about the AX routers or buy the Netgear XR500 too support full cone NAT.

7. Vexira

I'm running an 88u with Merlin and I'm waiting for the ax88u because of the extra ports.

8. Vexira

Besides the new ax model will most likely be pre loaded with a never Linux kernel version or revision than the 86u

9. HowIFix

HowIFix Guest

Marketing already convinced you, I hope you are not disappointed after buying that router and you are complaining in the forum, when there are already 2 good/excellent routers that offer more than what you are looking for.

10. HowIFix

HowIFix Guest

Those new router I can assure you 99.99%, that they will use the same kernel version that the RT-AC86U / GT-AC5300, because they still use the same CPU!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  11. Vexira

Why are you so hostile and overly concerned, and making assumptions ?
    With the attitude of yours why bother responding when your already convinced, marketing hasn't got me, and I'm merely curious about the unit.

12. Vexira

I do understand your point, but if does come down to availability, the 86u is near impossible to even get here in Australia, as far as I'm aware only one retail et stocks it and Thier charging an exorbitant price for it, the only other units that are easier to get at the 88u and the 5300 the gt variant is ludicrous ly priced

13. HowIFix

HowIFix Guest

gray market :p

14. Vexira

Have you actually had to deal with an Asus service centre, they won't even touch imports, I imported two Rp AC 68u repeaters from b and h photo and both bricked, later found it on Amazon that it was a defect in unite running a early firmware revision, Asus service centre in Sydney would not touch it told me to take it to b and h they wouldn't handle it and told me to go see Asus and Asus told me to go back to them.

15. HowIFix

HowIFix Guest

16. Vexira

No I would get Netgear after the experience I've had with their unit's, they literally broke full cone nat, in a DSL unit I had, and I had two of their unit's that were router s fail the one I first bought stopped working with full cone nat then it stopped working in general getting on the web, and 4 of the repeater units I had of theirs had issue as well, plus I have my aunt's router the same R8000 unit two friends and I had also dead, it's Wan port failed.

I'll stick with Asus for the moment, haven't had too many issues on Merlin.
    If you this Asus stock firmware is bad try Netgear.

17. HowIFix

HowIFix Guest

I am disappointed with ASUS, I am thinking about buying the Netgear R7800 or Synology RT2600AC.

And use a Raspberry Pi to install Pi-hole and DNSCrypt - DoH / DoT

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  18. Vexira

Have a look at ubiquity amplfi hd, or amped wireless, I have some grevances with Asus firmware, eg lack of fq_codel in QoS, or cake-fq_codel no full cone nat support, but you have to understand that it's not just Asus they can only fix what is available to them, some of it is closed off by Broadcom and trend micro.

19. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Do most folks understand the NAT - and full cone?

Sounds like they don't...

HowIFix likes this.
  20. Vexira

I'm just quirous if it would appear in stock but if not I'd expect it

21. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Many gamers are convinced this is the magic bullet to solve all their console-related port forwarding issues.

sfx2000, indark and HowIFix like this.
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!