What's new

FYI on USB drives: AC3100 router with USB caught on fire

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nitro001

Regular Contributor
Hi All, just an FYI...
I had a AC3100 that I left with my ex-wife that had Merlin installed and a USB drive with diversion running when I moved out. It was running a slightly older 384 version but that is beside the point.

I got a text yesterday that the that it caught fire. The USB Drive overheated and the entire unit went up in flames.
Fortunately, while it was in a closet where the incoming cable connection and modem was, that was in the office area so it was caught early smell smoke and no internet.

I just bring this up as an FYI to watch what USB drives are used and to just double-check internal temps and the temp of the USB occasionally since a lot of us, myself included on my new AX-88U router as well, also use one for tools like Diversion.

wow I am stunned. Was there actual red-orange flames comming out or was it just very hot and smokey?

Was it a small, unventilated closet?

OE

What kind of USB drive is this, memory stick, spinning HDD, or ssd? Was it also a brand name or just something cheap? I’m using a memory stick and it gets too hot to touch. I now have one heat sink sitting on top and one heat sink on the bottom and at time you can feel the heat from the heat sink.

I have a Sandisk Cruzer 16GB flash drive in the USB3 port of my AC66U_B1 and it's slightly slightly cooler (96F) than the top of my router (100F) and cable modem (105F). Ambient is about 69F.

Sorry I realized I didn't respond to these.
It was a standard USB Memory stick, was a small compact stick though and probably got way too hot. The closet was designed as a media closet for a home theatre room so it was ventilated and they kept the door open as well for added flow.
I wasn't there to actually see it, I really wish I was, BUT it was conveyed that it was actually on fire, i.e. flames.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!