FYI on USB drives: AC3100 router with USB caught on fire

  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

nitro001

Regular Contributor
Hi All, just an FYI...
I had a AC3100 that I left with my ex-wife that had Merlin installed and a USB drive with diversion running when I moved out. It was running a slightly older 384 version but that is beside the point.

I got a text yesterday that the that it caught fire. The USB Drive overheated and the entire unit went up in flames.
Fortunately, while it was in a closet where the incoming cable connection and modem was, that was in the office area so it was caught early smell smoke and no internet.

I just bring this up as an FYI to watch what USB drives are used and to just double-check internal temps and the temp of the USB occasionally since a lot of us, myself included on my new AX-88U router as well, also use one for tools like Diversion.
 

Make WiFi Great Again

Regular Contributor
wow I am stunned. Was there actual red-orange flames comming out or was it just very hot and smokey?
 

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
Was it a small, unventilated closet?

OE
 

Crazy

Regular Contributor
What kind of USB drive is this, memory stick, spinning HDD, or ssd? Was it also a brand name or just something cheap? I’m using a memory stick and it gets too hot to touch. I now have one heat sink sitting on top and one heat sink on the bottom and at time you can feel the heat from the heat sink.
 

Lee MacMillan

Regular Contributor
I have a Sandisk Cruzer 16GB flash drive in the USB3 port of my AC66U_B1 and it's slightly slightly cooler (96F) than the top of my router (100F) and cable modem (105F). Ambient is about 69F.
 

nitro001

Regular Contributor
Sorry I realized I didn't respond to these.
It was a standard USB Memory stick, was a small compact stick though and probably got way too hot. The closet was designed as a media closet for a home theatre room so it was ventilated and they kept the door open as well for added flow.
I wasn't there to actually see it, I really wish I was, BUT it was conveyed that it was actually on fire, i.e. flames.
 

Similar threads

Latest threads

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!
Top