What's new

fyi. . . spectrum upping from 200 Mbps to 300 for the same $

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

128bit

Regular Contributor
learned this today as an aside. i had tried spectrum's 400Mbps for a few weeks since it was only $20+- more a month than their default 200Mbps at around $75. with my soho setup, there was no appreciable performance difference, so last week, i tried a chat session to revert. that was an abomination but i'll spare u folks the details. tried again today via phone and had an eye opener!

i learned 200 is no longer offered in my geo (purposely vague). what was once 200 is now 300 for the same $. if you're nice they may even help you with a promo discount. there was some talk that 500 was available as a promo for the 300 price but i'm at 300 for about $50. it's weird, k but i mention it since i've seen no ads on this in my geo.

so, you spectrum/charter people, be advised and enjoy the bump. supposedly, the bump happens whether u call or not! it's the default speed much like 200 was.
i was running two 4k streamers concurrently fine back when it was a measly 15!! what i'd really like is 100 at $25. hell, i'd be good with 50Mbps for that price, but that's just personal commentary. we have more oomph than we will ever use with our ~30 devices. the iot's are a joke for usage and the hogs are the two 4k streamers.

still, that's personal and not meant to throw shade on anyone who believes they need more for a domestic situation.

It's actually quite common for cable co's to change things w/o notification if the price is the same. The only way you find out though is if there's an issue or you reboot your CM to get the higher speeds. Typically when they change the profiles there's a signal sent out to the CM to reboot it from their side but, that doesn't always work.

If they're offering 500mbps for the same price for 12 months take it and put it on your calendar to remind you to downgrade when the promo period is up.

I cut the TV cord several years ago and recently the internet cord as well and switched to 5G T-Mobile instead. It's a bit quirky at times but, no caps and higher upload speeds up to 100mbps for $50/mo all in. i usually sit at 200/70 though but, I can take it in the car if I want since it's powered over USB and did some testing. If I'm about 50 ft from my building I can get 500 / 100 so, I'm too close to the antennas on the roof for TM to get the best speeds. I've seen some hitting higher speeds though on posts on reddit which urks me a bit which led to the drive testing.

What is the uplink speed?

CoxHSI offers 500/10 or 300/30 for roughly the same price - for me, uplink is more important...

i found a link - https://www.spectrum.com/internet/internet-speeds

i'll stay with the 300 - not sure but i suspect it's only 10 upstream. 200 was more than enough then i went to 400 since the $ was not that much different. i enjoyed the speed when looking at speedtest but realistically, saw no practical difference with my ac media clients. it reminds me of my car; added 100 hp (which it didn't need) but in this type of rwd, it's mostly unusable unless you're into burnouts. sure, it would help some at the track, but i don't track it.

what i'd really like to see is a latency improvement on broadcasts. the 90 - 120 second delay is a pain.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!