1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Featured Game On for Wi-Fi 6E

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by thiggins, Apr 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. rmiller1959

rmiller1959 Regular Contributor

Thanks for the observations and the recommendation! I'm just speculating, but since the dedicated backhaul has been a staple of the top-of-the-line Netgear Orbi systems from the beginning, I imagine they will be one of the first tri-band mesh systems utilizing the 6 Ghz band for that purpose.

2. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

That would be a logical next step for Orbi. :)

Vexira likes this.
  3. winb83

winb83 Occasional Visitor

If the range on the 6GHz will be worse than 5GHz is it really worth bothering with? Seems like it'll be a wireless AD situation all over again. With 5GHz once you get 2 rooms away it could be pretty much shot.

4. avtella

avtella Very Senior Member

No, not really, Wireless AD was 60 Ghz... much much higher frequency than 6Ghz, it couldn’t cover more than a small room at best.

6 Ghz likely won’t be too different from the 5 Ghz band range and performance wise. You get a lot more open channels compared to 5Ghz especially for 160Mhz width usage.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    whitey019, Gar and Kal-EL like this.
  5. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

The attenuation difference between 6 GHz and 5 GHz should be minimal. 6e will just be an extension to the existing 5 GHz frequency ranges, it's not upping the frequency by a factor of 10 like 802.11ad did.

Wifi 6 (5 GHz): 5.170 GHz to 5.835 GHz
    Wifi 6e: 5.925 to 7.125 GHz.

Maybe things at the upper portion of it (close to 7 GHz) will show a more visible attenuation, but in general, the step won't be as big as when comparing 2.4 to 5 GHz. This could potentially be offset by an increase in allowed transmission power - no idea if there is any change there versus 5 GHz.

Since that band won't have to deal with old legacy standards, it will bring some benefits in terms of throughput and stability. And it will also reduce the congestion issues of the 5 GHz band before they get as bad as the 2.4 GHz band.

Vexira, anhrzg and avtella like this.
  6. lifereinspired

lifereinspired Occasional Visitor

What will be the early benefits of 6e? For instance, even without AX/6 clients, AX/6 can manage higher numbers of clients better than AC can. In a more congested neighborhood, would we see much advantage within a year or so from release? I know that a dedicated backhaul could be great and wouldn’t rely on any clients to see the benefits.

I’m asking because I’ve been needing to replace an aging (4.5 year-old) and not-entirely-reliable Netgear x8/R8500. I decided to try the Linksys MX10 but I’ve not been overwhelmed with it. Dropped out internet out entirely the first day and haven’t seen much performance benefits. I’m also considering the AmpliFi Alien, if they can get it in stock again. I know it’s supposed to have been range and speed than the Linksys but may not get the HomeKit for routers that Linksys is supposed to (eventually) get. I also like the screen. But I can’t decide if I should try to keep my current setup going a little longer till the 6e routers start coming out or to just get it and plan to keep it for a couple of years.

Lastly, I thought I read that 6e was just ratified but how does that differ from 6e Cerfification that another poster mentioned should be coming in early 2021? Are there differences? Will we be risking early 6e devices not being compliant with the end specs or with the recent ratification, is that not an issue.

Any thoughts or info would be brilliant. Thanks so much in advance!

7. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

The only potential "early benefits" will be for people who buy tri-band 6E mesh systems. IF the system is designed properly and IF mesh nodes are placed properly, backhaul bandwidth should be higher. This would provide more bandwidth to clients associated to each mesh node.

But, average users may not notice a difference unless their current mesh systems have overloaded nodes.

The real benefits of 6E will come only after enough 6E devices are available and devices move to the new band. This will take at least a year after the first 6E devices appear.

Manufacturers don't wait for either standards ratification or Wi-Fi Alliance Certification programs to be available. They ship product as soon as they can.

6E is not a new standard, it just adds new channels to 11ax. The most important gate to shipment, for the U.S., is when the FCC adds test requirements to its FCC ID certification test suite. I don't know the schedule for that. Same goes for other region communication agencies.

8. dylanmitchell

dylanmitchell Occasional Visitor

... timeline for new 6E routers will be Q4 this year. Those will likely be top-of-line tri-band models and will be priced accordingly...

When will 6E trickle down to dual-band routers? Looks like the AX86U won't be a 6E router when it comes out.

9. iwod

iwod Regular Contributor

Still waiting for other region's announcement. Looks like 2021 at the earliest if we are talking about World Wide roll out.