What's new

General Wiring Setup for Home Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

grazzt

Occasional Visitor
I am looking to upgrade my house network with more hardwiring. Thoughts on the general set up

From Street:
  1. Cable from street to Modem: Move Modem down into the basement.
  2. Install a 24 port switch/rack to distribute to the house in Basement (http://a.co/edKflBB)
    1. Wireless Router (1st floor)
    2. Synology NAS (1st floor)
    3. TV (1st floor)
    4. Bedroom #1 Xbox
    5. Bedroom #1 Desktop/TV
    6. Bedroom #2 Desktop/TV
    7. Bedroom #3 Desktop/TV
    8. POE Camera 1
    9. POE Camera 2
    10. POE Camera 3
    11. POE Camera 4
    12. Future expansion
I am just not sure if I am missing something. I would think the switch is the main hub to distribute to the house wall sockets.

modem---router---switch---rest of house hardwire users including wireless access points or wireless routers in AP mode.

If you need to isolate cameras, TVs, guests, etc from other users, consider getting a managed switch and wired router and wireless router/APs that support vlans. This will allow you to segment the network and isolate classes of devices/users for security and traffic. There are good tutorials on the site that explain how and why. You don't have to do this and if you decide not to, just get a recent unmanaged Gbit switch.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!