1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

General Wiring Setup for Home Network

Discussion in 'General Network Security' started by grazzt, Jan 14, 2018.

1. grazzt

grazzt Occasional Visitor

I am looking to upgrade my house network with more hardwiring. Thoughts on the general set up

From Street:
    1. Cable from street to Modem: Move Modem down into the basement.
    2. Install a 24 port switch/rack to distribute to the house in Basement (http://a.co/edKflBB)
      1. Wireless Router (1st floor)
      2. Synology NAS (1st floor)
      3. TV (1st floor)
      4. Bedroom #1 Xbox
      5. Bedroom #1 Desktop/TV
      6. Bedroom #2 Desktop/TV
      7. Bedroom #3 Desktop/TV
      8. POE Camera 1
      9. POE Camera 2
      10. POE Camera 3
      11. POE Camera 4
      12. Future expansion
    I am just not sure if I am missing something. I would think the switch is the main hub to distribute to the house wall sockets.

2. degrub

degrub Very Senior Member

modem---router---switch---rest of house hardwire users including wireless access points or wireless routers in AP mode.

If you need to isolate cameras, TVs, guests, etc from other users, consider getting a managed switch and wired router and wireless router/APs that support vlans. This will allow you to segment the network and isolate classes of devices/users for security and traffic. There are good tutorials on the site that explain how and why. You don't have to do this and if you decide not to, just get a recent unmanaged Gbit switch.