What's new

Getting 75Mbit sustained out of wifi N on e3000: Adapter suggestions?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ThaSpacePope

Occasional Visitor
I've got an e3000 running a stable version of DD-WRT (18050 kong). New apartment and i've now got to place my HTPC in the living room, roughly 30' from my e3000 router.

Issue: I use an HDHomerun Prime to record tv which uses up to about 25Mbit per recording, and with 3 tuners, thats 75Mbit.

I currently have Cisco AE1000 adapters which are not really cutting it. My 2.4ghz band is somewhat congested, 5ghz is completely available.

Short of running an ethernet cable, anyone have any suggestions? I currently get about 40Mbit sustained using the AE1000 on 5ghz. I know AC is a new option, but would prefer not spending $300 on all new network hardware, if at all possible!

Not gonna happen with the E3000 with ANY adapter.

If you want reliable, consistent 75 Mbps of throughput you will need to run Ethernet.

If it must be wireless, you will need to upgrade to at least N900 class router and adapters.

Check the Router Ranker and Charts to see typical wireless throughput of these devices.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/rankers/router/ranking/N900?rank=21

I've got an e3000 running a stable version of DD-WRT (18050 kong). New apartment and i've now got to place my HTPC in the living room, roughly 30' from my e3000 router.

Issue: I use an HDHomerun Prime to record tv which uses up to about 25Mbit per recording, and with 3 tuners, thats 75Mbit.

I currently have Cisco AE1000 adapters which are not really cutting it. My 2.4ghz band is somewhat congested, 5ghz is completely available.

Short of running an ethernet cable, anyone have any suggestions? I currently get about 40Mbit sustained using the AE1000 on 5ghz. I know AC is a new option, but would prefer not spending $300 on all new network hardware, if at all possible!

Your ISP provides really High Speed Service?
Don't use Wireless for immobile things.

Not gonna happen with the E3000 with ANY adapter.

If you want reliable, consistent 75 Mbps of throughput you will need to run Ethernet.

If it must be wireless, you will need to upgrade to at least N900 class router and adapters.

Check the Router Ranker and Charts to see typical wireless throughput of these devices.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/rankers/router/ranking/N900?rank=21

I think you are right. I had an Asus RT-N56 before this and saw no difference in wireless speeds between the two. The additional features of DD-WRT were so good I just had to switch to the e3000.

This morning I did some CIFS speed tests and got pretty good results with my AE1000 adapters - about 8.5MB/sec 3 rooms away through a couple of walls on my completely open 5ghz band. Speeds on 500MB transfers were very consistent but still, 8.5MB is unfortunately, slightly below 75Mbit and who knows how well I can sustain it through a 2.5hour basketball game. Even a slight drop might mean frame drops or garbled video.

I'll try this for a few days and see the results. Based on being able to get about 65Mbit with existing hardware, do you think the RT-AC66U would put me at 75Mbit with an AE1000 or is an AC adapter a must as well?

Thanks in advance!

Speeds on 500MB transfers were very consistent but still, 8.5MB is unfortunately, slightly below 75Mbit and who knows how well I can sustain it through a 2.5hour basketball game.
Thanks in advance!

Typos or what: it says 8.5MB (per second?) vs. 75Mbit link.

WiFi (20MHz mode) yields, at the IP layer, about 60% of the indicated Connection Speed (raw bit rate on WiFi). The file transfer (SMB or FTP) adds more overhead too.

Not suppose to run WiFi on these HDHomeRun devices. I have pair of these here.Run smooth on wired LAN.

Don't expect so much for WiFi. Limits are in place for now. New Tech and faster speeds to come. Right now 2.4GHz or bust. 5GHz only if the 2.4GHz is crowded you would use that.

Using an N300 adapter with an AC router won't provide any higher performance. Your throughput will be limited by the slowest line, which is the adapter in this case.

Your best shot is an AC1300 router with AC1300 bridge or the same router that can operate in bridge mode. But note that AC throughput drops very quickly with distance and obstacles.

Thanks thiggins.

Seems my existing wifi solution is working okay. I have yet to record 3 shows at once though. If only wifi teaming were available but no such luck.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!