What's new

Gigabit network but slow performance question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Desktop Works

New Around Here
Hello,

I'm running out of ideas and need help. I have a Server 2003 workgroup. This was a domain but I reinstalled 2003 from scratch and made it into a simple workgroup. There are only 13 XP Pro workstations.

Since the rebuild, users are complaining about slow network performance. This is a gigabit network.

Any ideas on where I can search for answers?

Johnathon

It's not recommand to use a workgroup with 10 users and above (even with gigabits). That why there is a slowdown in performance since you have takeout the domain. That would probably my first guess.

I don't think so

You need to look at so many variables, it's not likely to be that you're in a workgroup or that there are 14 users.
How much memory does your server have? CPU, RAID 0,1, 5 onboard or dedicated.
Is your server configured for BACKGROUND SERVICESS OR PROGRAMS? Open system manager, advanced, advanced.
Use perfmon to analyze your memory, hard drive, page/swap file for problems.
If one drive in your system has a bad block your computer can be constantly scrubbing the drive to find out what the correct data is. Open start, diskmgmt.msc, are they healthy?
Open task manager, click on the second to last tab, NETWORKING, you'll see that there is almost no traffic. I run a 50gb copy from one GB Nic to another and the performance doesn't die. In fact it can't be saturated from a single 7200 rpm drive to the next as the GB can handle a higher throughput.
What does your network topology look like? Are you using a decent switch or older hub. BTW - my experience Jumbo frames on GB don't make hardly any difference.
Segment the network, is the performance still bad on those users. When performance is bad, is the server crying? Is your network that dependent on the servers drives or basically just a file server?
Update the drivers on your NIC. The one that comes with Windows is for compatibility, not performance. Go to the manufacturers website for updated drivers.
As a side note, make sure your 2003 is updated to SP 2, and perhaps your XP computers have SP3. Probably won't make much of a difference though.
Check for virus'. The conficker virus can totally dibilitate a network, it did mine.

Hope that gives you enough ideas?

Jake

Please elaborate on the slow network performance... Are you talking slow file transfers? Slow network browsing?

Are your clients using IP addresses to access computers on the network or are they using computer names. Strictly using IP addresses might improve your performance.

00Roush

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!