What's new

goCoax MoCA 2.5 adapter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I would like to buy a few of these, but I see that both the refurb and new models are out of stock. Any update?

Thanks for your interest in our products. So sorry for the out of stock.
Now we are working with the factory. Hope we can delivery the next lot at the beginning of Feb, 2020.
For coming weeks, we will have some refurbished units. We will list them on our website. If you need, you can place order.

That's good news @gocoax. The Amazon webpage has this, so I wonder if you could update their status too?

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

That's good news @gocoax. The Amazon webpage has this, so I wonder if you could update their status too?

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
The next batch will be ready in the middle of this month. You know, because the Chinese New Year and CoronaVirus issue, lots of thing are delayed.

Hi there, MOCA newb here with a quick question. If you have a cable modem, do you install it like so:
wall coax cable jack -> MOCA adapter moca port -> out from MOCA adapter TV port to cable modem -> cable modem to router via ethernet -> router to MOCA adapter via ethernet

does this setup work, or do I need some sort of splitter from the wall jack, which would then split into each respective device?

Thanks!

Hi there, MOCA newb here with a quick question. If you have a cable modem, do you install it like so:
wall coax cable jack -> MOCA adapter moca port -> out from MOCA adapter TV port to cable modem -> cable modem to router via ethernet -> router to MOCA adapter via ethernet

does this setup work, or do I need some sort of splitter from the wall jack, which would then split into each respective device?

Thanks!
If your cable modem is DOCSIS3.0, this setup can work. If it is DOCSIS3.1, DOCSIS and MoCA will have frequency overlap, there will be some issue.

If your cable modem is DOCSIS3.0, this setup can work. If it is DOCSIS3.1, DOCSIS and MoCA will have frequency overlap, there will be some issue.

Yes, I plan to have 1gbit from my provider over DOCSIS 3.1. So does this mean that this particular setup way has issues, or will any setup (with a splitter?) also have issues?

Yes, I plan to have 1gbit from my provider over DOCSIS 3.1. So does this mean that this particular setup way has issues, or will any setup (with a splitter?) also have issues?
DOCSIS 3.1 have the frequency range up to 1218MHz, MoCA frequency range is 1125-1675MHz. There is some overlap between them. If you really want to use DOCSIS3.1 and MoCA together. Maybe the following suggestions are useful:
1, Connect MoCA adapter and Cable modem to RF splitter directly.
2, Use a special MoCA adapter with special band filter, the lowest frequency is higher than 1218MHz. configure MoCA adapter to use 1350-1675MHz.
3, Or use special external band pass filter for the cables connected to MoCA adapters. the higher frequency is up to 1218MHz. configure MoCA adapter to use 1350-1675MHz.
We really wants to test Step 3, but we only have DOCSIS3.0 cable service.

Thanks for the response. A few follow-up questions:

1) So if I just put a splitter at the cable jack, that's the simplest way to address this, and that's all I would need?

2) if I limit the bands in all MOCA adapters software, what kind of loss of bandwidth can I expect? Would this perhaps be the easiest to do?

Thanks!

Thanks for the response. A few follow-up questions:

1) So if I just put a splitter at the cable jack, that's the simplest way to address this, and that's all I would need?

2) if I limit the bands in all MOCA adapters software, what kind of loss of bandwidth can I expect? Would this perhaps be the easiest to do?

Thanks!
1) Splitter can't resolve the frequency interference , even you configure the MoCA adapter to 1350-1675MHz. the bandage of MoCA still can affect the DOCSIS3.1.
2) Configure the MoCA to 1350-1675MHz. will loss about 1Gbps bandwidth. You can get only about 1.5Gbps.
You can try the step 1 and 2 first. From my point of view. you still need to install external band filters.

@gocoax - Are you hopefully going to be ironing out your supply chain issues going forward? Seems you've been out of WF-803M's for months now. Thanks for all your hard work on the product. I appreciate having a MoCa 2.5 option.

@gocoax - Are you hopefully going to be ironing out your supply chain issues going forward? Seems you've been out of WF-803M's for months now. Thanks for all your hard work on the product. I appreciate having a MoCa 2.5 option.
Our cargo just arrived LA's port. We are waiting for the delivery.
You can place order next week.

Just to point out, the fact that an ISP might be running a DOCSIS 3.1 OFDM channel doesn't mean that the ISP is currently running channels higher than 1 Ghz. I'd be very surprised to see any ISP running anything over 1 Ghz. Antronix recently brought out a new series of splitters to accommodate the higher frequency range over 1 Ghz, but, keep in mind, there are millions of splitters in place today that only run up to 1002 Mhz. While an ISP might introduce OFDM channels over 1 Ghz, its going to be a long time before all of its customer installations can actually use that channel, primarily due to the existing splitter and amplifier installations. In a way, its a chicken or the egg situation, what comes first, replacing all of the existing ISP splitters and amps at the customer locations and then introducing the higher frequency channels, or, doing that in reverse. Either way is going to take a long time.

So, food for thought, although the possibility exists for a frequency conflict between DOCSIS 3.1 and MoCA, there might not be any issue at all, possibly for a long time to come. If you log into your modem and check the signal stats, you should see an existing OFDM channel, maybe two if the ISP is on the ball. Have a look at the frequency range for those OFDM channels and if necessary contact your ISP customer support to confirm the total channel range as it will depend on the sub-carrier spacing and the number of sub-carriers that are used for the OFDM channel.

If you have a splitter or amplifier installed that runs up to 1002 Mhz, which is typical, then you shouldn't have any issue using the entire MoCa frequency band.

This is something that MoCA users will have to keep their eye on, as ISPs shuffle channels around in order to run OFDM channels. If a field tech installs a splitter or amplifier that runs up to 1218 Mhz, thats a clue that the ISP is getting ready to run channels above 1 Ghz, but, that frequency shift might not occur for several weeks, months, or years down the road.

Just to point out, the fact that an ISP might be running a DOCSIS 3.1 OFDM channel doesn't mean that the ISP is currently running channels higher than 1 Ghz. I'd be very surprised to see any ISP running anything over 1 Ghz. Antronix recently brought out a new series of splitters to accommodate the higher frequency range over 1 Ghz, but, keep in mind, there are millions of splitters in place today that only run up to 1002 Mhz. While an ISP might introduce OFDM channels over 1 Ghz, its going to be a long time before all of its customer installations can actually use that channel, primarily due to the existing splitter and amplifier installations. In a way, its a chicken or the egg situation, what comes first, replacing all of the existing ISP splitters and amps at the customer locations and then introducing the higher frequency channels, or, doing that in reverse. Either way is going to take a long time.

So, food for thought, although the possibility exists for a frequency conflict between DOCSIS 3.1 and MoCA, there might not be any issue at all, possibly for a long time to come. If you log into your modem and check the signal stats, you should see an existing OFDM channel, maybe two if the ISP is on the ball. Have a look at the frequency range for those OFDM channels and if necessary contact your ISP customer support to confirm the total channel range as it will depend on the sub-carrier spacing and the number of sub-carriers that are used for the OFDM channel.

If you have a splitter or amplifier installed that runs up to 1002 Mhz, which is typical, then you shouldn't have any issue using the entire MoCa frequency band.

This is something that MoCA users will have to keep their eye on, as ISPs shuffle channels around in order to run OFDM channels. If a field tech installs a splitter or amplifier that runs up to 1218 Mhz, thats a clue that the ISP is getting ready to run channels above 1 Ghz, but, that frequency shift might not occur for several weeks, months, or years down the road.

You know, I hadn't even considered that. I guess I assumed it was a given that D3.1 required that. I checked in my current ISP's modem page and i saw the highest bonded downstream channel is 855000000 Hz. This setup would be for a new place I'm moving into, and the ISP there would be spectrum. Guess I'd just have to see what channels they're using to make sure there's no overlap. Thanks for the insight!!

Looking at Spectrum's modem lineup, all except one is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, so, I'd expect Spectrum's network to be running in the 5 to 1002 Mhz range for now. I could be absolutely wrong, but, that's what I would expect:

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/modems-routers-wireless-adapters/

If you do happen to have a TC4400 running at your new home check the signal stats, looking specifically for an OFDM channel. Here's an example from an SB8200.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32626244-

Note that the OFDM channel is listed as channel 159 and does not show up as a QAM256 type of channel. If memory serves me correctly, if the OFDM channel is running 4096 channels at 50 Khz spacing, the actual channel width is 192 Mhz when you add in the lower and upper guard bands, which reduces the number of total sub-carriers in use. So, that channel would run from 702 Mhz up to 894 Mhz.

Each ISP will most likely implement different frequency schemes, and even within an ISP, from CMTS to CMTS you might see variations occur.

Looking at Spectrum's modem lineup, all except one is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, so, I'd expect Spectrum's network to be running in the 5 to 1002 Mhz range for now. I could be absolutely wrong, but, that's what I would expect:

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/modems-routers-wireless-adapters/

If you do happen to have a TC4400 running at your new home check the signal stats, looking specifically for an OFDM channel. Here's an example from an SB8200.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32626244-

Note that the OFDM channel is listed as channel 159 and does not show up as a QAM256 type of channel. If memory serves me correctly, if the OFDM channel is running 4096 channels at 50 Khz spacing, the actual channel width is 192 Mhz when you add in the lower and upper guard bands, which reduces the number of total sub-carriers in use. So, that channel would run from 702 Mhz up to 894 Mhz.

Each ISP will most likely implement different frequency schemes, and even within an ISP, from CMTS to CMTS you might see variations occur.

Yup, the SB8200 is what my current ISP uses for DOCSIS 3.1 and that's what my page says, albeit with the higher frequencies. I guess I'll have to wait for the install to see what they're coming in with.

Once again, thanks!!

Our cargo just arrived LA's port. We are waiting for the delivery.
You can place order next week.
How do you check the TX power of the moca nodes? The Motorola Bonded 2.0 moca devices showed TX power and it was useful because you could get see the quality of your connection.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!