What's new

goCoax MoCA 2.5 adapter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@jrmtz85 & @Booboo22
This is what the thinner cable looks like in the attic as well as the end connector. You can also see the barrel connecting the (what I think is the) good cable with the cable that says VHF/UHF that runs from the attic down into the walls of the rooms where the two upstairs MoCA adapters are.

CAROL COLUMBIA C5750 DURA-COLOR(R) 100% SHIELDED VHF/UHF LOW-LOSS
COAX

Given that the chart shows pretty much the exact same (poor) speeds for all three points to a problem with the splitter or possibly interference on the incoming line.
MoCa tends to work pretty well over old coax in my experience.

Given that the chart shows pretty much the exact same (poor) speeds for all three points to a problem with the splitter or possibly interference on the incoming line.
MoCa tends to work pretty well over old coax in my experience.

@flyoffacliff
Is there a recommended splitter for MoCA 2.5? I admittedly am a little confused as some the Holland Electronics splitters I've looked show ranges of 5-1675Mhz while my current BAMF MoCA splitter goes up to 2300Mhz.

In addition, when comparing a few of these, each have a different DB rating on each output (-5.5dB, -5.5dB, -5.5dB or -7.7dB, -7.7dB, -3.9dB). I'm happy to pick up one of these to rule out the splitter - just want to make sure I get the right thing to support MoCA 2.5 and the frequencies it needs.

This is what I have currently with the unused OUT capped with a 75 Ohm cap.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017T9KF1S/?tag=snbforums-20

Last edited:
I've used 2 separate BAMFs to success in my setup so they should work for you. Did you ever test the nodes separately as mentioned?

I've used 2 separate BAMFs to success in my setup so they should work for you. Did you ever test the nodes separately as mentioned?
Not yet - I plan to this weekend. Tough during the week with my wife and kiddo at home during the week during this COVID craziness. I'll keep everyone posted!

[QUOTE="

This is what I have currently with the unused OUT capped with a 75 Ohm cap.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017T9KF1S/?tag=snbforums-20[/QUOTE]

If you replace the 4 way splitter with a 3 way you will have one port with just a 3.5 db loss. The other two ports will still be 7.5 db loss.

It might make a difference but something else to add to your testing.

I currently use a 4-way BAMF splitter with 3 in use with the 4th capped (plan to use the 4th down the road), and it has not affected my connections. The 3 adapters in use show phy rates of approximately ~3500 between them.

And the testing should take that long. You should be able to quickly unplug any one of the adapters from the yellow wires and get it it on a green connection in the attic quickly (I'm assuming easy attic access). If you've pre-setup your laptops IP, should be able to plugin, sign in and verify in a minute or 2

I currently use a 4-way BAMF splitter with 3 in use with the 4th capped (plan to use the 4th down the road), and it has not affected my connections. The 3 adapters in use show phy rates of approximately ~3500 between them.

And the testing should take that long. You should be able to quickly unplug any one of the adapters from the yellow wires and get it it on a green connection in the attic quickly (I'm assuming easy attic access). If you've pre-setup your laptops IP, should be able to plugin, sign in and verify in a minute or 2

^^This. Yep, thats what I plan on doing. Figured that would tell me if the issue is before or after the splitter. Easy access to the attic and cables - just need to bring up an AC source in which to plug the MoCA into power. I'll hard-code an IP for the laptop on the same subnet as the MoCA as well.

Can anyone tell if that UHF/VHF cable is RG59?

Well, it does not appear to be a current part number at carol. The frequency mark - uhf/vhf would indicate it was designed for analog tv signal, particularly with the “low loss” marking. So it could have been designed for tv antenna usage. That should make it rg59. Look for an embossed rg-59 in the plastic cable cover.
It is still likely to work though. You might see reduced sync speed. Only cable end to cable end testing will tell you.

someone did a nice job on that connector btw.

Well, it does not appear to be a current part number at carol. The frequency mark - uhf/vhf would indicate it was designed for analog tv signal, particularly with the “low loss” marking. So it could have been designed for tv antenna usage. That should make it rg59. Look for an embossed rg-59 in the plastic cable cover.
It is still likely to work though. You might see reduced sync speed. Only cable end to cable end testing will tell you.

someone did a nice job on that connector btw.
Ok - I will try to sneak up there tonight after work and do my tests. Thanks!

Has anyone run these alongside a pair of Bonded 2.0 adapters? I'm wondering about the speeds between the goCoax 2.5 to ECB6200, and what the performance is if you happen to have both a 2.5 to 2.5 and bonded 2.0 to bonded 2.0 happening at the same time. I assume there will be degration on the bonded 2.0 but will the goCoax 2.5 still push 1mbps, maybe even half-duplex?

Ok folks - Test #1.

Disconnected MoCA Adapter from Master and brought it up to attic.
Left MoCA in upstairs Office alone
Left MoCa in Living Room alone

Disconnected coax (green) coming up from up through conduit from basement BAMF splitter from barrel in attic - this severed the connection to the RG59 coax (orange) on the other side of the barrel going down into my office. Connected the (green) coax directly to the MoCA adapter and...

Last edited:
Test #2

Disconnected MoCA Adapter from Master and brought it up to attic.

Left the RG6/RG59 cable connection to my office disconnected (from previous test)

Disconnected the 2nd coax cable (green) coming up from up through conduit from basement BAMF splitter from barrel in attic - this severed the connection to the RG59 coax (orange) on the other side of the barrel going down into the Master. I connected this coax (green) directly to the MoCA adpater and....

Last edited:
Test #3

Reconnected the 1st coax RG6 cable (green) coming up through conduit from basement BAMF splitter from barrel in attic - this reconnected the barrel connection between the RG6 to the RG59 coax (orange) on the other side of the barrel going down into the Office. This reconnected my MoCA adapter in my Office to the network.

The MoCA adapter I pulled from Master into the attic is still directly connected to the 2nd coax RG6 cable (green) after disconnecting it in the attic at the barrel, severing the connection to the RG59 that goes down the wall into the Master.

Last edited:
Test 4 -

All three devices running off splitter-

Moved Office MoCA adapter to attic - connected to RG6 #1 (Green) from basement splitter
Moved Master MoCA Adapter to attic - connected to RG6 #2 (Green) from basement splitter
Left 1st Living Room MoCA Adapter in place - connected from basement splitter (green - OUT to living room) going up through wall to 1st floor.

Last edited:
Well everyone, I'm even more confused than I was before. I was thinking it was the RG59 for sure, but now I reconnected everything back up and now I see this. Can someone explain this graph to me now or what this means? Is there a way to determine which device is 0-1-2?? I'm at a loss...

According to your posts, you should be getting 1 Gbps on all locations. The MoCA adapters have a signalling rate of > 3 Gbps between nodes, so you should have great connectivity. From the point of view of the diag. page you are looking at, nodes will be assigned numbers based on which ones are seen in order. 0 is the one you are on, 1 and 2 are others. There should be another page that shows you the node ID and the MAC addresses.

Are you not able to see 1 Gbps throughput between nodes right now?

According to your posts, you should be getting 1 Gbps on all locations. The MoCA adapters have a signalling rate of > 3 Gbps between nodes, so you should have great connectivity. From the point of view of the diag. page you are looking at, nodes will be assigned numbers based on which ones are seen in order. 0 is the one you are on, 1 and 2 are others. There should be another page that shows you the node ID and the MAC addresses.

Are you not able to see 1 Gbps throughput between nodes right now?

What is the diagonal 701/698/698? I think that is what is throwing me off - how should I be reading this chart? I am seeing speeds in my office that are pretty close to 1Gbit now.

The table shows From / To. So node 0 has a signalling MAC rate of 701 (time 5), Node 1 has a rate of 698 (time 5), and so forth. You read the table by looking at the speed from one node to another. So the signalling rate from node 2 to node 1 is 3455. And from 1 to 2 is 3463. You are seeing the directional signalling rates.

Since you are seeing close to 1Gbps you are doing great. Should be 940Mbps or so.

For completeness, keep in mind that the signalling rate is higher than the effective throughput. *If* the MoCA adapter had a sufficiently fast Ethernet port you would see 2.5Gpbs. In reality, you will be limited by the 1Gpbs port. Some newer MoCA 2.5 adapters are starting to appear with the 2.5Gbps Ethernet port.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!