What's new

goCoax MoCA 2.5 adapter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The link rate is too low. Looks like your network has very high attenuation. Please check the splitter and cables.

My other MoCA device is ok with it. Thanks.
I also tried this with a direct connection from the gateway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
LOF is now set to 1400 with only D-High band checked for both adapters. Nextbox Whole Home PVR is now working, but stability has started decreasing as I noticed a few disconnects. I'm starting to see RX Bad/Dropped #s above zero whereas when I had LOF = 1150 and all Bands checked it very stable with Bad/dropped staying at zero.

Will these drops/stability impact normal internet needs (i.e. Netflix, Youtube, general surfing, VoIP) or are they just noticeable when doing diagnostics? I prefer to keep whole home pvr working, but speed and stability of internet is higher on the priority list.

Lastly, are there any other settings/config I can do to further optimize for D-High?

View attachment 22223 View attachment 22224

Yes, now our devices is working on D-band high. Is there any devices are working on D-band low or 1125-1675MHz band. That will introduce interference to the network. Also our devices will impact those devices. This is in-band interference.
To avoid such issue, you must let different device work in different band and add band pass filter to them.

Yes, now our devices is working on D-band high. Is there any devices are working on D-band low or 1125-1675MHz band. That will introduce interference to the network. Also our devices will impact those devices. This is in-band interference.
To avoid such issue, you must let different device work in different band and add band pass filter to them.
I don't think there are any devices working between 1125-1675MHz. Prior to receiving the gocoax adapters, I only had a 5-1005MHz splitter and the Whole Home PVR (MoCA 1.0/1.1) was working correctly. I have since purchased replaced with the splitters shown in the diagram below.

New Current (2).png

I don't think there are any devices working between 1125-1675MHz. Prior to receiving the gocoax adapters, I only had a 5-1005MHz splitter and the Whole Home PVR (MoCA 1.0/1.1) was working correctly. I have since purchased replaced with the splitters shown in the diagram below.

View attachment 22225
Is Netbox the Whole Home PVR (MoCA 1.0/1.1)?
If so, please let our devices work in Ex-D band. Our devices and Netbox will try to build one MoCA network to avoid interference. Other they will impact each other, even our devices are working in D-band high.

Is Netbox the Whole Home PVR (MoCA 1.0/1.1)?
If so, please let our devices work in Ex-D band. Our devices and Netbox will try to build one MoCA network to avoid interference. Other they will impact each other, even our devices are working in D-band high.
Should I keep D-Low and D-High checked as well? ... or just D-Ext?

Also, should LOF stay at 1400 or change to a different value?

I'm sorry @rmann2020 but I still don't see if you have followed our advise for testing. E.g. going back several requests to methodically, test the cable plant. Which *exact* action started the problems again, from when you tested with just the 2 MoCA 2.5 adaters on the cable plant? The advise was to slowly introduce one-at-a-time and report back when things broke. The issue I see is that you are making way too many changes at a time so, personally I cannot keep track what you have done.

I'm sorry @rmann2020 but I still don't see if you have followed our advise for testing. E.g. going back several requests to methodically, test the cable plant. Which *exact* action started the problems again, from when you tested with just the 2 MoCA 2.5 adaters on the cable plant? The advise was to slowly introduce one-at-a-time and report back when things broke. The issue I see is that you are making way too many changes at a time so, personally I cannot keep track what you have done.
@Booboo22 - I am doing my best to follow the advise and posted step by step tests so that I don't go to far before getting feedback on changes I'm seeing. Each night when I'm done testing, I have to restore back to ensure the TV is working properly upstairs. As I mentioned in my first post this morning, there was a power outage which caused both adapters to power cycle... and to my surprise, everything just started working. At that time, the full config from my provided diagram was installed as I had restored to that config the night before. The working config had all 3 bands checked and LOF = 1150. Subsequently, I started posting minor changes and the impacts of those changes to the forum and awaiting advise to modify further.

I know I have been posting quite a bit, I am truly appreciative of the feedback and community support... Again, I'm trying to follow the advice and feel we're quite close to resolving my issues.

To summarize the most recent tests and current state: (all using full cabling and all splitters as per my provided diagram)
  • All 3 bands checked and LOF = 1150 ... gocoax adapters working perfectly and very stable; whole home pvr not working
Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 10.59.22 AM.png

• D-High checked and LOF = 1400 ... gocoax adapters starting to be unstable; whole home pvr working
Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 2.43.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 2.47.39 PM.png

• @gocoax recommended I change to D-Ext. I'm now waiting on confirmation if D-Low and D-High should also be checked and if LOF should be 1400 or a different value

Should I keep D-Low and D-High checked as well? ... or just D-Ext?

Also, should LOF stay at 1400 or change to a different value?
You can just check D-Ext. the LOF should be defaut 1150MHz.
Then please check the MoCA link rate page, check how many devices in the network.

My other MoCA device is ok with it. Thanks.
I also tried this with a direct connection from the gateway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
upload_2020-3-28_14-35-10.png

I managed to have all of them showing by disabling D-High. Now, anybody can come up with an idea to make this work? Thanks.

the below is with D-High enabled

upload_2020-3-28_14-41-35.png

View attachment 22241
I managed to have all of them showing by disabling D-High. Now, anybody can come up with an idea to make this work? Thanks.

the below is with D-High enabled

View attachment 22242
The link rate between two MoCA 2.5 devices is too low.
Could you share the "MoCA Setting" page and "Device status" page?
And the strange thing is, have you changed all the device to D-band high? The link rate is quite different between the two pictures.
Let's keep everything as original. please don't use D-band high.
Connect the two MoCA2.5 devices directly with a short coaxial cable, check the link rate is OK or not. The normal link rate should be about 3500Mbps.

The link rate between two MoCA 2.5 devices is too low.
Could you share the "MoCA Setting" page and "Device status" page?
And the strange thing is, have you changed all the device to D-band high? The link rate is quite different between the two pictures.
Let's keep everything as original. please don't use D-band high.
Connect the two MoCA2.5 devices directly with a short coaxial cable, check the link rate is OK or not. The normal link rate should be about 3500Mbps.
upload_2020-3-28_15-8-23.png

upload_2020-3-28_15-8-52.png

upload_2020-3-28_15-9-34.png

this is how it looks after reset

I will link the devices a bit later and check back

option 1) If you have a moca block, put it between the Antronix and the Hitron modem.
option2) Better yet, put a 2 way splitter upstream of the Antronix and spit off the cable to the Hitron. Put the moca block on the cable between that 2 way and the Antronix.

option 1) If you have a moca block, put it between the Antronix and the Hitron modem.
option2) Better yet, put a 2 way splitter upstream of the Antronix and spit off the cable to the Hitron. Put the moca block on the cable between that 2 way and the Antronix.
Option 2 did't work for me. I ended up ordering a 5 port moca amplifier splitter (https://www.ppc-online.com/5-and-9-port-active-return-moca-enabled-coax-amplifier-splitter) in hopes that it may help. Just waiting on it to be delivered and will post back my results thereafter.

Option 2 did't work for me. I ended up ordering a 5 port moca amplifier splitter (https://www.ppc-online.com/5-and-9-port-active-return-moca-enabled-coax-amplifier-splitter) in hopes that it may help. Just waiting on it to be delivered and will post back my results thereafter.
Just remember that those typically amplify the input to the output, and it expect MoCA only on the outputs... there's a PoE built in so you cannot pass MoCA from Input to Output and back. E.g. they are video only amplifiers, doesn't touch the MoCA signal.

Just remember that those typically amplify the input to the output, and it expect MoCA only on the outputs... there's a PoE built in so you cannot pass MoCA from Input to Output and back. E.g. they are video only amplifiers, doesn't touch the MoCA signal.
I assumed I only needed one-way from basement to 2nd floor where my wifi access point will be ceiling mounted.

I finally had a chance to continue testing today and tried to go step by step to see where things go wrong. From what I can gather, it appears that the Gocoax and Whole Home PVR cannot work together. Hoping someone can offer some advice as I'd really like to keep my whole home pvr functionality.

Note: all tests using same Gocoax settings as below:
Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 2.11.18 PM.png

Testing steps and results:
  1. Connect Gocoax adapters directly. Results: connection working perfectly.
  2. 2-way moca switch introduced at 2nd floor. Results: no change.
  3. 2-way moca switch introduced at basement. Basement adapter and coax cable run to 2nd floor both attached to Out port of basement 2-way switch. Nothing attached to input. Results: no change.
  4. input port of basement 2-way moca switch connected using external input with moca PoE filter. Results: no change.
  5. disconnect everything from basement 2-way switch and reconnect to 4-way switch but not connecting the input. (same as test 2, but now using 4-way moca switch). Results: no change.
  6. add input port (same as test 4). Results: no change.
  7. add Nextbox from family room which controls whole home pvr. Results: no change (but whole home pvr not working). TV cable is working though and I can watch all the channels.
  8. add basement nextbox. Results: no change from test #7.
  9. Reboot both Gocoax adapters. Results: whole home pvr starts working immediately but gocoax cannot establish a link.
  10. disconnect nextboxes one at a time. Results: gocoax still not working
  11. reboot Gocoax adapters: Results: connection working again.
  12. plug each Nextbox back in (one at a time). Results: same as test #7, gocoax still working but whole home pvr does not.

I finally had a chance to continue testing today and tried to go step by step to see where things go wrong. From what I can gather, it appears that the Gocoax and Whole Home PVR cannot work together. Hoping someone can offer some advice as I'd really like to keep my whole home pvr functionality.

Note: all tests using same Gocoax settings as below:
View attachment 22838

Testing steps and results:
  1. Connect Gocoax adapters directly. Results: connection working perfectly.
  2. 2-way moca switch introduced at 2nd floor. Results: no change.
  3. 2-way moca switch introduced at basement. Basement adapter and coax cable run to 2nd floor both attached to Out port of basement 2-way switch. Nothing attached to input. Results: no change.
  4. input port of basement 2-way moca switch connected using external input with moca PoE filter. Results: no change.
  5. disconnect everything from basement 2-way switch and reconnect to 4-way switch but not connecting the input. (same as test 2, but now using 4-way moca switch). Results: no change.
  6. add input port (same as test 4). Results: no change.
  7. add Nextbox from family room which controls whole home pvr. Results: no change (but whole home pvr not working). TV cable is working though and I can watch all the channels.
  8. add basement nextbox. Results: no change from test #7.
  9. Reboot both Gocoax adapters. Results: whole home pvr starts working immediately but gocoax cannot establish a link.
  10. disconnect nextboxes one at a time. Results: gocoax still not working
  11. reboot Gocoax adapters: Results: connection working again.
  12. plug each Nextbox back in (one at a time). Results: same as test #7, gocoax still working but whole home pvr does not.

Based on the advice of @Datalink (another forum), I decided to do one more set of tests. This time, I moved both gocoax adapters and the nextbox devices to the same room to ensure an in-wall splitter (which may or may not exist without my knowledge) may be causing the issue.

When the Nextbox was powering up (in boot/load mode), the whole home pvr icon on the nextbox was showing and I could see the MoCA 1.x device in the Gocoax PHY Rates screen. I have never seen it there before. Unfortunately, when the loading completed, the whole home pvr functionality stopped (icon on nextbox was gone and 1.x device no longer visible in gocoax admin screen). The gocoax adapters remained connected throughout this test and were not rebooted.

This test leads me to conclude that gocoax is incompatible with nextbox... at least with the current settings.

@gocoax and/or anyone else - I'm looking for suggestions on how to solve this problem.

Here's a screenshot of the gocoax admin console when the nextbox was loading:
IMG_0003.png

Good work methodically testing @rmann2020. Does sound like indeed there is something about the Gocoax adapters that do not like the Nextbox. The screenshot seems normal (to me), for that moment while everything was coming up.

In test 7. do the Gocoax adapters work and you can transfer data? You seem to imply that yes, and it's not until perhaps step 8 that they stop transmitting?

I'm out of bullets... time for Gocoax to give some additional input here.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!