What's new

google chromecast/mini casting issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Peter ougra

New Around Here
hi all,
i just switched from my server providers gateway modem/router and went and brought 3 aimesh compatabile routers..
main router is the ac86u
node 1 ac 88u
node 2 ac 68u

all work flawlessly and not having any issues..except..
i love my google chromecast and mini and always love to cast stations/spotify around the place wherever i can.
problem is that whenever i do, randomly they just disconnect..no set period, they just disconnect..
now i have given them all static ip's which makes them visible to the router , i can see them logged onto the network everytime the casting stops so there is no issue there,
i have also disable airtime fairness..which did help, but the disconnection issues randomly appear from time to time..
its driving me BONKERS!! im about to throw a hammer at them if i dont fix it.
can someone please shed some light on what i need to do..

hi all,
i just switched from my server providers gateway modem/router and went and brought 3 aimesh compatabile routers..
main router is the ac86u
node 1 ac 88u
node 2 ac 68u

all work flawlessly and not having any issues..except..
i love my google chromecast and mini and always love to cast stations/spotify around the place wherever i can.
problem is that whenever i do, randomly they just disconnect..no set period, they just disconnect..
now i have given them all static ip's which makes them visible to the router , i can see them logged onto the network everytime the casting stops so there is no issue there,
i have also disable airtime fairness..which did help, but the disconnection issues randomly appear from time to time..
its driving me BONKERS!! im about to throw a hammer at them if i dont fix it.
can someone please shed some light on what i need to do..

Be sure to use separate SSIDs and fixed channels to prevent auto channel changes that can upset clients. Also, the 68U does not support Smart Connect node band steering, so using identical SSIDs would be troublesome.

OE

Older Chromcasts only work at 2.4Ghz. I had problems when the phone I was using would decide to switch over to 5Ghz automatically.

my chromecasts are dual band..i previously had seperate SSIDs for both 2.4 and 5ghz set on the main router and it was doing the exact same thing..i now have smart connect enabled (band steering) after i reset my whole aimesh network and just general connectivity seems alot better for all my other clients roaming around the house and handing over from node to node, however the thorn in my side is the chromecasts disconnects randomly.
pulling my hair out here!

my chromecasts are dual band..i previously had seperate SSIDs for both 2.4 and 5ghz set on the main router and it was doing the exact same thing..i now have smart connect enabled (band steering) after i reset my whole aimesh network and just general connectivity seems alot better for all my other clients roaming around the house and handing over from node to node, however the thorn in my side is the chromecasts disconnects randomly.
pulling my hair out here!

The 68U does not support band steering. Maybe the Chromecasts are flipping back and forth between 2.4 and 5.0 GHz connections with identical SSIDs, perhaps between more than one node depending on node signal strength (one house, three nodes... my 86U covers my entire house and then some).

Now that you have reset your node firmware, I would try separate SSIDs and configure the Chromecasts for a 5.0 GHz connection only.

OE

The 68U does not support band steering. Maybe the Chromecasts are flipping back and forth between 2.4 and 5.0 GHz connections with identical SSIDs, perhaps between more than one node depending on node signal strength (one house, three nodes... my 86U covers my entire house and then some).

Now that you have reset your node firmware, I would try separate SSIDs and configure the Chromecasts for a 5.0 GHz connection only.

OE

i had the issue before the ac68u was added as a node..its a node in the basement of my house and i can still connect my clients to it no issue (mainly my phone and my basement CCA)

i had the issue before the ac68u was added as a node..its a node in the basement of my house and i can still connect my clients to it no issue (mainly my phone and my basement CCA)

86U firmware since 45713 configured for Auto channels (Smart Connect) has logged excessive channel scanning and channel changing. This can disrupt streaming clients.

I recommend no Smart Connect, separate SSIDs, and fixed channels. And use a WiFi Analyzer to get some idea how much your node signals overlap.

OE

update..so ive tested my spotify casting to the CCA for the last 2 hours and it hasnt disconnected at all ..however if i cast iheart radio it disconnects randomly..
i just cant figure this out..

just thinking out loud here, is there anyway i could fix the channel rather then having it fixed under smart connect ?

just thinking out loud here, is there anyway i could fix the channel rather then having it fixed under smart connect ?

You can disable Smart Connect and then disable Auto channel by selecting a fixed channel.

Using Smart Connect forces using Auto channel.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!