What's new

Google Cloud Print and Airprint

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flipdee

New Around Here
Hi,
(Tutorial here: http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-638158/airprint-and-google-cloud-print-via-optware)
I followed the tutorial for tomatousb on my RT-AC66U running merlin 373.43 after formatting an usbdrive with ext3, mounting and installing optware (installing download master)

So I got to:
and confirm that they are running:
ps | tail
their output should appear similar to this

ps | tail
9367 root 1816 S -sh
9458 root 1220 S dropbear -p 22 -a
9459 root 1816 S -sh
14620 root 0 SW [pdflush]
14709 root 6068 S /opt/sbin/snmpd -c /opt/etc/snmpd.conf
15015 messageb 1760 S /opt/bin/dbus-daemon --system
15021 avahi 2576 S avahi-daemon: running [airdiskdevbox.local]
15028 root 5012 S /opt/sbin/cupsd -C /opt/etc/cups/cupsd.conf
15046 root 1696 R ps
15047 root 1688 R tail

Setup the usb printer and got it to print a test page. (all CUPS webpages were working)
However after a rooter reboot I can see:
2077 admin 2376 S nmbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
2078 admin 3248 S smbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
2082 admin 5300 S minidlna -f /etc/minidlna.conf -R
2086 admin 5300 S minidlna -f /etc/minidlna.conf -R
2087 admin 5300 R N minidlna -f /etc/minidlna.conf -R
2117 admin 1176 S dropbear -p 2222 -j -k
2120 admin 1448 S -sh
2301 admin 5220 S /opt/sbin/cupsd -C /opt/etc/cups/cupsd.conf
2737 admin 1432 R ps
2738 admin 1432 S tail

However when I go to http://routeripaddress:631 I can see the CUPS front page but all other pages come up with "Not Found".

I noticed the tutorial suggested:
Note: enable this for subsequent reboots, also, by adding it to your startup script in Admin:Scripts:Firewall. but make sure it happens after your opt/ partition mounts, but before the initscripts at /opt/etc/init.d/Snn are executed.
However I can't figure out how this translates from tomatoUSB to asuswrt-merlin?

Anyone have any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
flipdee

I've got GDI printer, so I can't check the whole printing chain on Entware. My initial list of printer was:
Code:
$ lpstat  -v
device for LP: parallel:/dev/printers/0
device for USB: usb:/dev/usb/lp0
Then I've added a virtual printer by:
Code:
$ lpadmin -p FilePrn1  -E -P /tmp/mnt/DOWNLOAD/tmp/stp-hp-lj_3015.5.2.ppd.gz  -v file:///opt/tmp/out.prn
Make sure it's added and make it default one:
Code:
$ lpstat  -v
device for FilePrn1: ///opt/tmp/out.prn
device for LP: parallel:/dev/printers/0
device for USB: usb:/dev/usb/lp0

$ lpoptions -d FilePrn1
$ lpq
FilePrn1 is ready
no entries
I've started script from python-cloudprint package:
Code:
$ cloudprint
Skipping USB
Skipping LP
Updated Printer FilePrn1

After refreshing this page I've seen a new printer — FilePrn1. On Windows I've installed Paperless Printer drivers and configured it to use FilePrn1. When I send any job to printer, I see it on this page as "Queued". After minute or two it must be sent to router and change it's status to "Printed".

All Google Cloud Print jobs must arrive to router as PDF files.

This is what I've checked two years ago.

I noticed the tutorial suggested:
Note: enable this for subsequent reboots, also, by adding it to your startup script in Admin:Scripts:Firewall. but make sure it happens after your opt/ partition mounts, but before the initscripts at /opt/etc/init.d/Snn are executed.
However I can't figure out how this translates from tomatoUSB to asuswrt-merlin?
Please refer to this page. Not sure some post-firewall rules are needed.

Hi ryzhov_al,
Many thanks for your reply.
Can I just confirm which commands you added to which script in order to correctly start all services on reboot?
Have you had any problem after a reboot with the cups admin interface not working properly?
Many thanks again,
flipdee

Please note about differences between Entware and Optware. I don't know how CUPS WebUI is working on Optware. On Entware, better to rely on command line:)
Can I just confirm which commands you added to which script in order to correctly start all services on reboot?
No, sorry. It was two years ago on Oleg's firmware.

Last edited:
Hi,

Was wondering if you guys ever got this working on the Asus Merlin platform? Years ago I was able to install optware and airprint and setup a pdf printer on my RT-N66U Tomato Shibby router. Will the same steps work on Entware thats on the newer Merlin Asus routers?

Thanks

Hi,

Was wondering if you guys ever got this working on the Asus Merlin platform? Years ago I was able to install optware and airprint and setup a pdf printer on my RT-N66U Tomato Shibby router. Will the same steps work on Entware thats on the newer Merlin Asus routers?

Thanks

I got airprint to work for an older network printer that didn't natively support air print. It was a huge PITA using dbus avahi and cups but it did work. I ended up getting a new laser printer and it supports air print OTB and it was well worth it. If you REALLY want to get it working I could probably figure it out again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!