What's new

Google Nest Wifi Pro 4 pack Costco $369.99

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@ATLga ... what would you like to know?

I have a 4-set Google Pro wifi mesh sitting behind my GT-AX6000... I got it solely for the purpose of ease-of-use for my family's purposes, for all our smart-home crap, and because this mesh stuff just works without any configuration needed. It lets them control devices, turn lights on/off, etc.

The downside is that the interface to manage the wifi is done through the google home app, and it's EXTREMELY simplistic. You really don't have a lot of choice to do anything... but I guess that's OK for those who need a set-and-forget kind of setup. I think it's excellent for integration with the smarthome components, as they all integrate really well with the google home app.

In my scenario, the entire google pro wifi mesh system is at the mercy of everything running on my AX-6000... so yeah, the entire family + devices must traverse over my VPN to get out to the internet... they are protected by skynet... they are protected by diversion... and they have no earthly idea. ;)
Hi Viktor
I’ve read there is limited configuration options and that’s mostly okay.
Did not see a way to clone MAC address. Is that correct.
Also, all bands are 2 stream. Have you noticed any performance issues because of that.
Last, are you using all four points. What is your use case, that’s a lot of WiFi signal blasting (is your asus WiFi on too). How well are devices roaming or are they sticky.

That’s it thanks

Last edited:
I've done some testing on Google Nest Wifi...

As I see it... the SNB forum audience is not what this device is targeted - there's very little control here.

That being said - it's decent, easy to set up, and it does default to IPv4/WPA2 - you need to turn those on...

Upside of the Google Nest Wifi devices is that they integrate with Google Home, and this goes over the WAN side as part of your Google Account. This means you have secure access to the management function over the internet. You can check in and see what's attached, and reboot both the primary and secondary nodes in the mesh.

This is perhaps the right MESH system you can send over to your 70 year old mom, and be comfortable that it just works..
Sorry, Need to turn what on? WPA2 is on by default...
"That being said - it's decent, easy to set up, and it does default to IPv4/WPA2 - you need to turn those on..."

Google Nest is QC-Atheros

I've been chasing down a bug in Broadcom's WL driver - in WL_2 it goes into a place where Intel, Mediatek, and Espressif in my debug can go into a very dark place because of TurboQAM.

Yes, this is a potential security issue with Broadcom.
QC info fyi.
Tap more on the Learn More, immersive home 316 platform…

Hi Viktor
I’ve read there is limited configuration options and that’s mostly okay.
Did not see a way to clone MAC address. Is that correct.
That's correct... It's made to plug directly into a modem, and it figures out what mode it needs to use to get out to the Internet.

Also, all bands are 2 stream. Have you noticed any performance issues because of that.
I used to have the older Nest Wifi before this, and can tell there was a huge leap in performance going to the pro's. It's been handling approx 60 devices, including heavy gaming and streaming use cases with ease.

Last, are you using all four points. What is your use case, that’s a lot of WiFi signal blasting (is your asus WiFi on too). How well are devices roaming or are they sticky.
All 4 are in use, strategically placed throughout the house to provide the best coverage while staying close enough to each other to have "good" scores on mesh connectivity. My AX6000 and AC86U also still have a channel up... You don't have control over the channel the Google wifi uses, and it will jump around, but all in all, they all play nicely with each other when looking at a wifi signal analyzer. Roaming works great between the points. Never had any problems dropping when going from one side of the house to the other.

That’s it thanks
Good luck! ;)

Sorry, Need to turn what on? WPA2 is on by default...
Correct... Here's a screenshot of the advanced settings if you're interested...

Screenshot_20230611-082205.png

strategically placed throughout the house

It will work well even not strategically placed. I have installed two Qualcomm based Deco sets in houses with similar requirements (set and forget, non-tech owners, easy app control) and they adapt to the environment pretty well. First about 2 hours after the installation it was a client connection havoc and then everything started working properly. One of the satellites had to be relocated in another room few weeks later and the same thing happened - some time wondering what's going and then all good. I don't get calls with questions and I don't ask any questions. Excellent home systems. :)

It will work well even not strategically placed. I have installed two Qualcomm based Deco sets in houses with similar requirements (set and forget, non-tech owners, easy app control) and they adapt to the environment pretty well. First about 2 hours after the installation it was a client connection havoc and then everything started working properly. One of the satellites had to be relocated in another room few weeks later and the same thing happened - some time wondering what's going and then all good. I don't get calls with questions and I don't ask any questions. Excellent home systems. :)
Yep, I don’t ask questions either. Why invite trouble 🤣

Correct... Here's a screenshot of the advanced settings if you're interested...

View attachment 50883
Just thought of another question regarding firmware updates. Do they happen automatically, do they reboot, and what time of day if they are automatic. If they are automatic is there an option for a notification and user can update on their own schedule (I’m gonna guess no).

Just thought of another question regarding firmware updates. Do they happen automatically, do they reboot, and what time of day if they are automatic. If they are automatic is there an option for a notification and user can update on their own schedule (I’m gonna guess no).
LOL... yep, they are automatic firmware updates... and they happen at night. There are no notifications. I'm not sure how it determines the best time to reboot, but I'm going to guess it's when there's minimal activity. They don't happen too often... maybe a once or twice a year. ;)

they are automatic firmware updates... and they happen at night. There are no notifications. I'm not sure how it determines the best time to reboot, but I'm going to guess it's when there's minimal activity.

It's been my experience that they do the firmware update campaigns between 1AM and 4AM local time - this goes not just for the Nest Points, but the cameras, doorbells, Nest Hubs, etc...

You may get a notification after the fact in the Google Home app (BTW - that is required to manage the Nest Points).

They're fast in that they push the code over as a delta update, and upgrade the non-running side of the flash (they're dual banked, so if one fails, it will fall back to the known good side) - when the package is done unpacking and flashes the image files, they do a reboot, which usually will take less than a minute.

Remember, the Nest routers are basically Chromebooks - they run the same basic code as Chromebooks, and like Chromebooks, they rarely fail software updates.

Here's a screenshot of the advanced settings if you're interested...

Just as a heads up - if one is using 5G fixed wireless access - IPv6 won't work with Nest.

It's a known issue with both Verizon and T-Mobile 5G wireless internet - Nest works fine with IPv4 with them, but it's something to keep in mind.

(Nest isn't the only one that has trouble there - Eero has the same problem)

If one runs the primary router in bridge mode - IPv6 will work, but this negates the ability to Mesh with other Nest Points.

You may get a notification after the fact in the Google Home app (BTW - that is required to manage the Nest Points).
In all my time, I've never seen google home give me a notification that the wifi, a doorbell or camera got updated... which is fine by me. Just give me more functionality and more stability. ;)

In all my time, I've never seen google home give me a notification that the wifi, a doorbell or camera got updated

I had it one time - it wasn't the AP that notified me, it was the Nest Home Hub that notified me that WAN connectivity was lost, and sure enough, the SW in the Nest Point was updated - also the cameras fell offline, and I had to physically reset them and add them back to the home group.

That's my other observation with the whole Nest/Google ecosystem - it was pretty good, but just recently they had a lot of changes in the Home App that I find a bit annoying - and it wasn't an actual App update from Play Store, the app didn't change, but they toggled something in the App that changed the home view - now the default for me is the favorites screen, which is new, and adds another layer to something that didn't really need to change.

It's been my experience that they do the firmware update campaigns between 1AM and 4AM local time - this goes not just for the Nest Points, but the cameras, doorbells, Nest Hubs, etc...

They're fast in that they push the code over as a delta update, and upgrade the non-running side of the flash (they're dual banked, so if one fails, it will fall back to the known good side) - when the package is done unpacking and flashes the image files, they do a reboot, which usually will take less than a minute.

Remember, the Nest routers are basically Chromebooks - they run the same basic code as Chromebooks, and like Chromebooks, they rarely fail software updates.
I don't see on their support page how long updates are offered for them, hopefully at least five years?

Nest Home Hub

Actually I mispoke -there was the time when the Nest Home Hub got upgraded from CastOS over to Fuschia - that one I did get a notification for as it added some new capability, but also removed some capability because of the Sonos lawsuit...

I had it one time - it wasn't the AP that notified me, it was the Nest Home Hub that notified me that WAN connectivity was lost, and sure enough, the SW in the Nest Point was updated - also the cameras fell offline, and I had to physically reset them and add them back to the home group.

That's my other observation with the whole Nest/Google ecosystem - it was pretty good, but just recently they had a lot of changes in the Home App that I find a bit annoying - and it wasn't an actual App update from Play Store, the app didn't change, but they toggled something in the App that changed the home view - now the default for me is the favorites screen, which is new, and adds another layer to something that didn't really need to change.
I was going to say something similar about the app. The notification settings (in the Home app) may need to be toggled on/off to see if the devices were updated @Viktor Jaep

The Nest Points are also smart devices and speakers, prior to the lawsuit, it was nice that you could play music across them, the home hub, and it was all synchronized just like - yes, Sonos

Sonos obviously was not impressed...

The Nest Points are also smart devices and speakers, prior to the lawsuit, it was nice that you could play music across them, the home hub, and it was all synchronized just like - yes, Sonos

Sonos obviously was not impressed...
The new Wifi Pro does not have speakers. I think I actually like that better for this use since they don't necessarily want the google assistant.

I don't see on their support page how long updates are offered for them, hopefully at least five years?

Would have to check history on the Google On-Hubs, that was give an indication on how long they could be supported.