What's new

GS516TP VLANs Guest WAPs HELP!!!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dan OBrien

New Around Here
Hello everyone,

First, all my networking knowledge has been learned through trial and error and the internet. With that said, I have taken on quite a tasking and am at the end of the road if I can get my GS516TP configured.

First a little explanation of where I am to date. I have two ASUS AC-RT66U routers, one is in the office on port 10 of the GS516TP and the other on the second floor on port 13 of the GS516TP. The AC-RT66u in the office is also directly linked, through the WAN, to my cable modem and basically runs our entire little network. Both AC-RT66Us have guest wireless networks setup exactly the same:

1) Kids Guest and Kids Guest 5G (192.168.2.100 through 192.168.2.105)
2) Adult Guest and Adult Guest 5G (192.168.3.100 through 192.168.3.105)

I use subnetting for access controls on both networks. I am very easitly able to assign rules according to the IP blocks. It works very well (kinda). The RT-AC66U in the office handles all the DHCP for our primary network (192.168.1.100 through 192.168.1.150) as well as the two guest networks. The RT-AC66U on the second floor merely forwards DHCP requests for all three subnets to the RT-AC66U in the office. The main network (192.168.1.100/24) was easy to setupo and worked fine right out of the box with the RT-AC66U in the office setup as a DHCP Forwarder. To get the guest networks to forward DHCP requests to the RT-AC66U in the office, I setup two vlans (vlan14 and vlan15) on both routers and use DNSMasq (through DD-WRT) on the RT-AC66U in the office.

WORKS GREAT when the routers are connected to each other (not going through the GS516TP). Once I put the routers in their actual permanent location and run them through the GS516TP, things go a little haywire. Here is what happens:

1) the main Wireless access (192.168.1.100-192.168.1.150) is unable to get an IP address and it obviously has no internet access.
2) the two guest wireless networks (192.168.3.100 through 192.168.3.105 and 192.168.2.100 through 192.168.2.105) are able to get a proper IP in the subnet but they do not have internet access.

My guess is I haven't configured the GS516TP properly but with my vlan experience of about two days, anything is possible ;-)

In the web config for the GS516TP I did the following:

1) Switching/vlan/advance - i created two vlans (vlan14 and vlan15)
2) switching/vlan/vlan membership - I tagged port 10 and port 13 under each vlan (vlan14 and vlan15)

For some reason I think that I should enter something under port PVID configuration but it only allows for one PVID?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Hint... VLAN's are not IP based at a root level- They're two separate things - create the VLAN, then layer up the IP subnets

Most consumer AP's might do VLAN on the WAN side (to break out broadband/IPTV/Voice Services) - and that's ok.

Getting into the LAN, it gets interesting, so one has to figure into things a L2 switch (which you have)

Many consumer Router/AP's - when put into AP mode, act as L2 based on upstream

Second Hint - create your VLAN tags above 100, just to be safe...

Hint... VLAN's are not IP based at a root level- They're two separate things - create the VLAN, then layer up the IP subnets

Most consumer AP's might do VLAN on the WAN side (to break out broadband/IPTV/Voice Services) - and that's ok.

Getting into the LAN, it gets interesting, so one has to figure into things a L2 switch (which you have)

Many consumer Router/AP's - when put into AP mode, act as L2 based on upstream

Second Hint - create your VLAN tags above 100, just to be safe...

Thank you for your response.

I apologize....I don't get the layers....

Everything works outside of the switch. Are you saying to start over and change the order I did things? I am pretty sure I setup the IP addressing before the vlans but I think you are saying to do the reverse. Will that change something?

Thank you for your response.

I apologize....I don't get the layers....

Everything works outside of the switch. Are you saying to start over and change the order I did things? I am pretty sure I setup the IP addressing before the vlans but I think you are saying to do the reverse. Will that change something?
Vlans are like shelves. You create the shelves first across the router, switches, and WAPs. Then you add boxes to the shelves ie assign the ip address ranges to the vlans (192.168.1.xxx, 192.168.5.xxx) usually by using the vlan number and dhcp configuration page in the router, then you put things in the boxes ( add devices to the specific ip ranges using static assignments (either on the router side (easiest using mac address) or the device side, or both if you want)) or guest ip range (default IP range, default Guest vlan, using dhcp).

Vlans are like shelves. You create the shelves first across the router, switches, and WAPs. Then you add boxes to the shelves ie assign the ip address ranges to the vlans (192.168.1.xxx, 192.168.5.xxx) usually by using the vlan number and dhcp configuration page in the router, then you put things in the boxes ( add devices to the specific ip ranges using static assignments (either on the router side (easiest using mac address) or the device side, or both if you want)) or guest ip range (default IP range, default Guest vlan, using dhcp).

@degrub - very nice way of putting that concept ;)

@degrub - very nice way of putting that concept ;)

Yes...thank you very much. That makes a lot of sense. That is not the way I did it :-(. Ok, an update, through the DD-WRT forums I have learned that I did not properly set the routes on the switch. Working through figuring out how to do that. If that fails, I will break it all down and set it up using this path.....like cleaning out the garage :). Stay tuned, I have to go back to work tomorrow so it will more than likely sit a while :-(. I am close, I can feel it.

Thanks again the both of you,
Dan

Ok, I have rebuilt everything from the bottom up and yeaaaa, progress. My vlans (14 and 15) now get a proper IP and can reach the internet. Last issue....once everything is plugged into it's configured ports (port 2 on each of the routers and port 10 and port 13 on the switch), everything behind the switch is unable to obtain an IP address and as a result, internet.

My gut is this is a setting on the switch somewhere.

Thanks,
Dan