GT-AC5300 will not support new merlin code?

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Gregh

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys, new to after market firmware and I am seeing that merlin is recommended for the ac5300 router as a replacement to the ASUS stock firmware, but I have a GT-AC5300 router and I saw that the merlin sw is not recommended for my model? is that correct? I also have a asus rt-86u that is meshed with the gt-ac5300 router.

Thanks, Greg

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
That is correct, Merlin doesn't support the GT-AC5300.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
No, there is no RMerlin support for GT models.

Gregh

Occasional Visitor
You can still test Merlin on your RT-AC86U.

What advantage would that give me? since this router is meshed with my ac5300 (my main router) I thought the mesh router is "taken over" by the main one and it is controlled by the main router?

Gregh

Occasional Visitor
No, there is no RMerlin support for GT models.
is there anyone else that has other firmware for the GT models? I liked some of the feature that merlin would give me, disappointed that the high end router has no support

AndreiV

Very Senior Member
is there anyone else that has other firmware for the GT models? I liked some of the feature that merlin would give me, disappointed that the high end router has no support

Not seen any, no.

The support isn't there because the hardware and software are entirely different to the RT-AC models, it would mean far too much work for Merlin to run another firmware branch.