What's new

GT-AX11000 - 2.5G WAN - not 2.5G at all!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ik8sqi

New Around Here
I have a 2.5Gb Fiber, and last year I connected the GT-AX11000 to a 2.5GB ONT via the 2.5G WAN port. For a few initial months the download internet speed never went over ~950Mbs, then out-of-the-blue last Nov the speed suddenly jumped to 1.4Gbs. I was happy... until one day in February when just as it came suddenly the speed dropped to 900Mbs again.

Certain it was an ISP issue, I called them multiple times to verify. They kept saying that with a 2.5G fiber service was guaranteed only up to 200-300Mbs so there were no issues for them.

Giving up getting them to fix the line, I decided to upgrade to a 10Gb fiber since it's now available in my area. So this weekend I bought the Asus GT-AXE16000 in preparation for the fiber upgrade. And to my immense surprise.... as soon as I connected the the 2.5GB ONT to the 10G Ethernet port on the new Asus, my internet speed to my surprise was 1.9Gbs. I had configured the GT-AXE16000 as identically as possible to the GT-AX11000, it could not have been a config issue. I connected back the old 11000, and sure enough the internet download was back at 900Mbs. Put back online the 16000, and bam, the speed was 1.9Gb. And it's been like that all weekend.

So... the moral is that the 2.5Gb WAN port on the GT-AX11000 is actually a 1Gb port. I do not know how it was possible that for 3 months that port was able to obtain 1.4Gb downloads, but I know for certain that it's limited at 1Gb now.

FYI I had switched to the Merlin firmware on the AX11000 but it made no difference - the speed was always fixed at 900Mbs.

I have a 2.5Gb Fiber, and last year I connected the GT-AX11000 to a 2.5GB ONT via the 2.5G WAN port. For a few initial months the download internet speed never went over ~950Mbs, then out-of-the-blue last Nov the speed suddenly jumped to 1.4Gbs. I was happy... until one day in February when just as it came suddenly the speed dropped to 900Mbs again.

Certain it was an ISP issue, I called them multiple times to verify. They kept saying that with a 2.5G fiber service was guaranteed only up to 200-300Mbs so there were no issues for them.

Giving up getting them to fix the line, I decided to upgrade to a 10Gb fiber since it's now available in my area. So this weekend I bought the Asus GT-AXE16000 in preparation for the fiber upgrade. And to my immense surprise.... as soon as I connected the the 2.5GB ONT to the 10G Ethernet port on the new Asus, my internet speed to my surprise was 1.9Gbs. I had configured the GT-AXE16000 as identically as possible to the GT-AX11000, it could not have been a config issue. I connected back the old 11000, and sure enough the internet download was back at 900Mbs. Put back online the 16000, and bam, the speed was 1.9Gb. And it's been like that all weekend.

So... the moral is that the 2.5Gb WAN port on the GT-AX11000 is actually a 1Gb port. I do not know how it was possible that for 3 months that port was able to obtain 1.4Gb downloads, but I know for certain that it's limited at 1Gb now.

FYI I had switched to the Merlin firmware on the AX11000 but it made no difference - the speed was always fixed at 900Mbs.

It didn't magically change the hardware back and forth between different ports. The router can likely only handle that kind of throughput if you don't enable various features that consume a lot of CPU and thus will limit your speed. The new router probably has a more powerful CPU so is able to get faster speed with the same settings, but still have to be careful what features you enable, you will probably have to keep most stuff (QoS, parental, trend micro, traffic stats, etc) disabled. Even then not sure if that router will be able to do 10G.

The real question is why are you spending so much money on hardware and internet that you can't possibly use? Especially when your ISP says they won't guarantee you'll get any more than 10% of that speed. You're rewarding them for lousy practices.

10G internet can support a company of tens of thousands of employees, my guess is that isn't your use case.

It didn't magically change the hardware back and forth between different ports. The router can likely only handle that kind of throughput if you don't enable various features that consume a lot of CPU and thus will limit your speed.
Wrong. When I plugged in the old AX11000 to verify the speed after I saw the AXE16000 reached 1.9Gb, there was *nothing* connected to it. I had even changed the SSID to ensure nothing connected to it that way either.

The new router probably has a more powerful CPU so is able to get faster speed with the same settings, but still have to be careful what features you enable, you will probably have to keep most stuff (QoS, parental, trend micro, traffic stats, etc) disabled.
Wrong again. I do not use any of the monitoring "stuff" - it's all disabled. For the CPU... did you see the specs?

The real question is why are you spending so much money on hardware and internet that you can't possibly use?
...and wrong again. You have no idea of how use the bandwidth.

my guess is that isn't your use case.
Do not play the lotto this week

Wrong. When I plugged in the old AX11000 to verify the speed after I saw the AXE16000 reached 1.9Gb, there was *nothing* connected to it. I had even changed the SSID to ensure nothing connected to it that way either.

Wrong again. I do not use any of the monitoring "stuff" - it's all disabled. For the CPU... did you see the specs?

...and wrong again. You have no idea of how use the bandwidth.

Do not play the lotto this week

All this from someone that thinks throughput and physical link speed are the same, and that a port they claim is only 1gig magically did 1.4 for a while. Good luck getting any help here with your attitude.

@ik8sqi If you’re going to continue to be a member of these Forums, leave the aggressive attitude at the door.

@drinkingbird No need to respond with a personal attack, no matter how well deserved.

Locking this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!