What's new

GT-AX6000 Dual Wan question fiber + cable and vlan tagging

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fiyawerx

New Around Here
Hi - I don't currently have an Asus but wondering if this setup is possible as I'm imaginging it. My fiber provider (centurylink) requires vlan tagging (201), and with that it looks like I should be able to bypass their supplied router and go directly from the ONT to my own. My question is with a dual wan failover setup (spectrum cable for the backup) - can I only apply the vlan tagging to the fiber wan and not the cable, or is it an all or nothing? I suppose I can keep their router in the chain in passthrough if I need to but the less hops the better if I can figure it out. Otherwise I suppose I could manually failover and just reconfigure the setting if I needed to? Thanks in advance.

Not sure about ISP VLAN requirements, but Dual WAN doesn't work in Asuswrt. Search around, many discussions about it on SNB Forums. There is even an attempt to fix it with custom script:

CenturyLink requires vlan tagging? Not here! I just connect the router to the ONT and it works! I suspect they do that so they can monitor their "modem" which is actually a router.

CenturyLink requires vlan tagging? Not here! I just connect the router to the ONT and it works! I suspect they do that so they can monitor their "modem" which is actually a router.
Yeah, at least here, it's called "quantum fiber". I can always put their router in transparent mode and let it handle the tagging but I figured I could just do that with the router anyway to cut out the middleman. Just wasn't sure if enabling that tagging would break the failover cable which doesn't use it. Based on an above comment dual wan may not be that great to begin with so if CL goes out and I manually have to switch I can always just change the vlan setting if I need to.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!