What's new

GT-AX6000 - firmware kills 160mhz / 5G

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

downhuman

New Around Here
Hi there,

New to the forums but you folks seem to know what you're talking about, so thought I'd ask here...

I now own an Asus GT-AX6000.

From the factory, I have no complaints actually.

However, once the firmware is updated, the 5ghz band goes awry. With 160mhz enabled, the entire band disappears - no SSID being broadcast and won't connect if you manually type on in.

With it DISABLED, the 5ghz seems to be glitchy and drops often.

I returned the first one to Amazon, assuming it was faulty (I hadn't properly tested it before the firmware update).

With its replacement, ran 'factory'3.0.0.4.386_46724-g0ff25fa (2 from newest) and all is fine - including the 160mhz.

Update to latest firmware? Same issue. So it is definitely a firmware problem.

Am I missing something? Are others having the same issue?

Thanks

Hi,

I did not have this problem. I have been using mine with 160mhz enabled until yesterday when I read, that it makes no sense in my area and with the devices I am using.
I only have iPhones, iPad and smart tv using 5ghz, 2.4ghz are used by my smart devices and my computer, NAS and console are LAN.

Zrzut ekranu 2022-04-14 o 11.00.00.png

Anyway, what devices are you hoping will use your 160mhz band on 5ghz?

If you don't have a > 1Gb internet OR no NAS/PC/other device taking advantage of 2.5Gb port - using 160mhz on 5G wireless seems pointless to me.
If that is the case, just disable the 160mhz channel and upgrade the firmware, it is always better to have the latest one with security and bug fixes!

Hi,

I did not have this problem. I have been using mine with 160mhz enabled until yesterday when I read, that it makes no sense in my area and with the devices I am using.
I only have iPhones, iPad and smart tv using 5ghz, 2.4ghz are used by my smart devices and my computer, NAS and console are LAN.

Anyway, what devices are you hoping will use your 160mhz band on 5ghz?

If you don't have a > 1Gb internet OR no NAS/PC/other device taking advantage of 2.5Gb port - using 160mhz on 5G wireless seems pointless to me.
If that is the case, just disable the 160mhz channel and upgrade the firmware, it is always better to have the latest one with security and bug fixes!
I've got >1Gb internet and use a Samsung S22 phone and Laptop with Intel AX201 wifi too.

When I upgrade the firmware and and disable 160mhz, the 5g band drops or disappears often - but is rock solid on the older firmware (with 160mhz enabled too)

I've got >1Gb internet and use a Samsung S22 phone and Laptop with Intel AX201 wifi too.

When I upgrade the firmware and and disable 160mhz, the 5g band drops or disappears often - but is rock solid on the older firmware (with 160mhz enabled too)

I am not an expert but if 5G is unstable for you on newest firmware, then there must be something introduced by it that makes your Wifi environment go wacky. :D
Have you tried setting your 5g channel manually to a fixed channel? Did you disable DFS?
Maybe your channel is set to auto and is hopping like crazy?

Can you use your wifi radar and see if you have many competing 5G networks around?

One problem I did have was being unable to connect to 5G network after messing with "Tx power adjustment" AND/OR setting the channel manually. I had to toggle those settings a bit and it came back to normal. I am now running on all channels set to Auto.

Actually you should start with the default WIFI settings. Likely the router is detecting RADAR and pausing the 5 GHz. Best to use SmartConnect, auto channel at 20,40,80,160 MHz with DFS not checked. You paid big bucks for the router. Trust it to do itis job!

I had no wireless problems on my GT-AX6000 on firmware 3.0.0.4.386_48377 before I changed to Merlin 386.6_beta2. I was using manual channel 36 and 160 MHz active though I'm only using AX devices on that router. My AC devices are connected to my RT-AC88U on channel 149 and 80 MHz as they run faster connected there than the GT-AX6000.

I have just bought the GT-AX6000 and I also noticed that the 5ghz band was missing after setting up the router. So I updated to the latest firmware, then I did a factory reset ( press reset button for 5 seconds) and then, after I set up my internet connection, I changed the 5 ghz band channel from auto to channel 44 ( you can use whichever you want). So, afer you change the channel from auto to your preffered one, the 5 ghz band will appear. Problem solved!:)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!