What's new

GT-AXE16000 Owner's Thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Initial setup was a blast. All ports shut at boot with a one minute boot cycle, no wifi, no Lan.

Ultimately putting it in recovery mode and applying the firmware from the Asus site TWICE resolved it. Placebo or not wifi appears to be notably better (>10% more) throughput on wifi 6. I've got ~50 devices connected via wifi plus wired.

It keeps kicking my phone from wifi so need to figure that out but basic experience after the pain in the butt (but not completely unexpected) setup process is alright.

I don't know if I like the led on the top or not but it's too busy to keep on always. I had my little utility corner of my entertainment room hastily rigged and took a pic of both on for reference (not permanent router locations, obviously).

Working on customizing and optimizing for my needs and will post updates if anything noteworthy comes up. I won't be able to test the 10GB ports to full capacity in the near term due to upcoming travel which prompted the express delivery upgrade.

Attachments

• 20220616_204410.jpg
    20220616_204410.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Still waiting on an update for my order that I managed to place on May 5th with Amazon
Besides being disheartening, this is the first time I’ve heard of someone placing an Amazon order, other than from third-party Amazon sellers, and it just not showing up. Does any information show up when you track your order on Amazon? I’m wondering whether Amazon goofed when they listed the unit as available. So far, a direct Amazon search still does not bring up the 16000 page on Amazon for me. The only way I can get to it is with the link that got shared on Reddit at the beginning of May. It has always showed “unavailable” when I’ve looked at that page.

Placed an order for 2 on Asus website Tuesday , got them delivered today. Can’t wait to go home and set them up. They’ll be on Aimesh, Wifi 6E will be the backhaul.

Initial setup was a blast. All ports shut at boot with a one minute boot cycle, no wifi, no Lan.

Ultimately putting it in recovery mode and applying the firmware from the Asus site TWICE resolved it. Placebo or not wifi appears to be notably better (>10% more) throughput on wifi 6. I've got ~50 devices connected via wifi plus wired.

It keeps kicking my phone from wifi so need to figure that out but basic experience after the pain in the butt (but not completely unexpected) setup process is alright.

I don't know if I like the led on the top or not but it's too busy to keep on always. I had my little utility corner of my entertainment room hastily rigged and took a pic of both on for reference (not permanent router locations, obviously).

Working on customizing and optimizing for my needs and will post updates if anything noteworthy comes up. I won't be able to test the 10GB ports to full capacity in the near term due to upcoming travel which prompted the express delivery upgrade.

I had a pretty questionable first setup experience as well. First the router refused to connect to WAN (cable modem). Then after I updated the firmware and restarted the modem it connected but I had no internet. Took quite a bit of messing around to get it to finally work.

Now that it's operational its looking good. I only have 1200mbit xfinity service but I am getting 1400mbit/s+ downloads reliably on ethernet now.

I only have one 6E client right now, my S22 Ultra, which is seeing ~1Gbit/s speeds when I am in the same room as the router. It drops off pretty hard in other rooms to 300Mbit/s. The 5ghz bands are doing a much better job at penetrating and providing ~500Mbit/s to my other rooms.

I had a pretty questionable first setup experience as well. First the router refused to connect to WAN (cable modem). Then after I updated the firmware and restarted the modem it connected but I had no internet. Took quite a bit of messing around to get it to finally work.

Now that it's operational its looking good. I only have 1200mbit xfinity service but I am getting 1400mbit/s+ downloads reliable on ethernet now.
Nice! Since it came online last night it's been rock solid. I had constant issues with qos on the axe11000 but so far "it just works."

I wish I got to play with it more before I leave for a week but maybe some other paid beta users will have theirs and some other useful info when I get back lol.

Mine’s still on track for Monday. In the meantime I’d like to thank all the early beta testers here for giving me a preview of what to look for when I set mine up. :D

Placed an order for 2 on Asus website Tuesday , got them delivered today. Can’t wait to go home and set them up. They’ll be on Aimesh, Wifi 6E will be the backhaul.
That is an incredibly expensive system you have!

Besides being disheartening, this is the first time I’ve heard of someone placing an Amazon order, other than from third-party Amazon sellers, and it just not showing up. Does any information show up when you track your order on Amazon? I’m wondering whether Amazon goofed when they listed the unit as available. So far, a direct Amazon search still does not bring up the 16000 page on Amazon for me. The only way I can get to it is with the link that got shared on Reddit at the beginning of May. It has always showed “unavailable” when I’ve looked at that page.
I don't know how I found my way to it initially because the product page was unsearchable on Amazon. it showed available for a less than other places listed it so I instantly bought it. they haven't canceled it so I'm still hopeful I'll get it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 3.57.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 3.57.33 PM.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 104
I am using an older SB8200 cable modem that has 2x 1Gbit/s ports, and supports link aggregation to achieve >1Gbit/s speeds. It's a configuration that is not officially supported by Xfinity, but they pushed the firmware update to unlock it as a "YMMV, but here you go" gesture when they upgraded the gigabit tier to 1200Mbit/s.

For some reason the link aggregation fell over after a couple hours, and I was limited to one connection/1gbit speeds. After messing around and rebooting the router it's back up and online with 2gbit wan speed, but I am not sure if the culprit is the router, the modem, or the cables. (First time using wan aggregation, my older RT-AC5300 didn't support it).

I imagine if I shelled out for a multigig modem I wouldn't have this problem, but I don't want to upgrade my modem unless I absolutely have to. I guess I'll have to see if it falls over again.

Last edited:
I am using an older SB8200 cable modem that has 2x 1Gbit/s ports, and supports link aggregation to achieve >1Gbit/s speeds. It's a configuration that is not officially supported by Xfinity, but they pushed the firmware update to unlock it as a "YMMV, but here you go" gesture when they upgraded the gigabit tier to 1200Mbit/s.

For some reason the link aggregation fell over after a couple hours, and I was limited to one connection/1gbit speeds. After messing around and rebooting the router it's back up and online with 2gbit wan speed, but I am not sure if the culplit is the router or the modem. (First time using wan aggregation, my older RT-AC5300 didn't support it).

I imagine if I shelled out for a multigig modem I wouldn't have this problem, but I don't want to upgrade my modem unless I absolutely have to.
for me having multi-gig modem frequently gets me higher than the rated speed from the ISP (Cox) . 'Gigablast' is rated for 940 Mbps down but a speed test on my AX89X (2.5G modem to 10G port) has maxed out at 1092. wanting the AXE16000 to use the dedicated 2.5G WAN PORT.

for me having multi-gig modem frequently gets me higher than the rated speed from the ISP (Cox) . 'Gigablast' is rated for 940 Mbps down but a speed test on my AX89X (2.5G modem to 10G port) has maxed out at 1092. wanting the AXE16000 to use the dedicated 2.5G WAN PORT.
Yeah, when the WAN aggregation is working I am getting 1400Mbit/s+ on my 1200mbit tier. I just don't know why the wan aggregation fell over. Maybe just immature firmware bugs on the AXE16000.

That is an incredibly expensive system you have!
Haha yes it is, every year when a new asus GT router comes out I upgrade, and every year I see improvements over prior GT routers. The two AXE11000 I have now will go on eBay to pay for some of the cost of the new ones. I’m hoping with quad band I’ll be able to have one 5Ghz using either 40mhz or 80mhz and another 5Ghz using the 160mhz. 6E will be used for backhual.. and the 2.4Ghz for legacy devices

Haha yes it is, every year when a new asus GT router comes out I upgrade, and every year I see improvements over prior GT routers. The two AXE11000 I have now will go on eBay to pay for some of the cost of the new ones. I’m hoping with quad band I’ll be able to have one 5Ghz using either 40mhz or 80mhz and another 5Ghz using the 160mhz. 6E will be used for backhual.. and the 2.4Ghz for legacy devices
It’s your money but $1500 can be way better spent/utilized than 2 Asus gaming routers. I hope it works out for you though.

Amazon listing now shows available for purchase for 699 but the estimated delivery date is jumping all over the place

Amazon Link
Now August 4th, but you get to pay full MSRP.
I did add to cart, so I can be alerted to any price drop ;)

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me why this router costs $700? I was thinking about finally updating my 87u with a new asus router but $700 seems crazy high to me for a router.

You don't have to buy the latest and greatest. Most people do just fine with popular AX86U for $250. It will be significant upgrade to your AC87U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!