What's new

GT-BE98 WIFI 7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

... attempted to adjust the RSSI settings in the WebGUI to allow one unit to hand off the respective clients to the other at a higher dBM/shorter range eg. -47 to -57 vs the default -67 dBM. However, that did not fix the problem.
This (not just the quoted part) was how having two 5GHz radios per unit 'limited' things for you? BTW, it would seem that if you'd wanted clients to "stick" to their AP radio better, you went the wrong direction with those settings, though it's a moot point now.

This (not just the quoted part) was how having two 5GHz radios per unit 'limited' things for you?
Yes, limitation in terms of multi gig speeds has been a long-time pet peeve of mine be it on Wifi or Ethernet. Though I do acknowledge the flexibility that an additional band can provide especially for those with plenty more IoT and other devices to handle as well as those where wireless backhaul is a necessity.

BTW, it would seem that if you'd wanted clients to "stick" to their AP radio better, you went the wrong direction with those settings, though it's a moot point now.
I guess so. To be honest, I wasn't exactly stoked about the quad-band feature back then as I was already quite comfortable with the dual and tri-band setups of my previous two routers. I purchased them (GT-AXE16000s) for the dual 10Gbe ethernet ports to replace the RT-AX89X, which instead turned out to be the better performing router of the two in the end IMHO.

Anyway, I think we should move on from here since its getting a little off-topic.

Reiterating my view/hope that MLO and AFC (when available) will help enhance/fix quad-band networking in the Wifi 7 era and by extension, the GT-BE98 and Pro models.

Last edited:
Currently 1k+ on Amazon and other Sellers the cheapest is arround 850€ in Europe, insane those prices :eek:

Better waiting for a new year deal on asus so the price maybe drop to arround 650€ again with a big annoucement on WiFi7
as they currently maybe looking more into Ai Sales on cards like the 4090 with liquid metal cooling for 2024
so WiFi7 could be in other words just another mess "get some money in my pocket" and wait for 2025 and WiFi8 ;)

GT-BE98 is already on the rack and I'm starting testing.
It replaced the GT-AX11000.

Attachments

• 20231202_182702_resized.jpg
    20231202_182702_resized.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 148
I bought two GT-BE98 (non pro) last week, created a Mesh, for €658,- inc tax each (in the Netherlands, ordered Wednesday, arrived Friday).

They had 7 in stock at supplier, when I checked on Friday both vendors that offered it at that price no longer had the listing. Dustinhome.nl still shows it for 785,- but availability went from 10-12 day delivery on Friday to unknown delivery now. Only Amazon now shows it at scalper prices.

I think I got very lucky. Certainly do hope the 650 price will be the regular price for those of you looking for them (or less).

(to add, the amount of plastic on the antenna’s (3 layers) took longer to remove than it took to install them and do the mesh setup which I naively did via the app but it worked like a charm)

Last edited:
I pre-ordered the 98 Pro on Newegg which was supposed to ship 12-6 but was delayed with no ETA. Did anyone who ordered from Newegg get theirs shipped?

is the second 6ghz channel a decent enough improvement over the non pro one with 2x 5ghz channels? am able to buy the non pro version now but the pro version isn't released here yet... wondering if it's worth waiting for.

I'm thinking a "split" 5GHz would be better than such an 6GHz anyway, as a WAG... (thinking in terms these days of WiFi 5/6 clients being divvy'd up instead of clustered)

Now if you're thinking a wireless backhaul, it might go the other way, but why do that anyway?

is the second 6ghz channel a decent enough improvement over the non pro one with 2x 5ghz channels? am able to buy the non pro version now but the pro version isn't released here yet... wondering if it's worth waiting for.
It depends on what you are planning to use the extra channel for.

6 GHz has higher theoretical bandwidth, but lower range. Depending on how far you are from the router, you might get better real bandwidth from 5 GHz. If you live in an area with high population density, 6 GHz is less crowded than 5 GHz - both due to the lower range and fewer people owning 6 GHz-capable routers. In that case you might get more consistent latency from 6 GHz since there is less channel contention.

I want to give the extra channel to a VR headset, which I always use near the router and only care about the latency aspect, so I'd prefer 6 GHz. However, I imagine that a lot of people want the extra channel as backhaul for a mesh network in a large house, and in that case the increased range of 5 GHz might be preferable. So it's kind of a weird situation where the non-Pro may be better than the Pro for the majority of users.

If you don't have a specific use case for the extra channel in mind already, then it very likely doesn't matter, and you might be better off with a tri-band router.

It depends on what you are planning to use the extra channel for.

6 GHz has higher theoretical bandwidth, but lower range. Depending on how far you are from the router, you might get better real bandwidth from 5 GHz. If you live in an area with high population density, 6 GHz is less crowded than 5 GHz - both due to the lower range and fewer people owning 6 GHz-capable routers. In that case you might get more consistent latency from 6 GHz since there is less channel contention.

I want to give the extra channel to a VR headset, which I always use near the router and only care about the latency aspect, so I'd prefer 6 GHz. However, I imagine that a lot of people want the extra channel as backhaul for a mesh network in a large house, and in that case the increased range of 5 GHz might be preferable. So it's kind of a weird situation where the non-Pro may be better than the Pro for the majority of users.

If you don't have a specific use case for the extra channel in mind already, then it very likely doesn't matter, and you might be better off with a tri-band router.
The appeal of GT-BE98 over RT-BE96U is its 4x2.5GbE ports. This basically eliminates the need for a 2.5GbE switch in my house, which costs roughly the same as the price difference between GT-BE98 Pro and RT-BE96U. I imagine GT-BE98 will cost less than GT-BE98 Pro, so that makes it even more appealing. Also, with a second 5GHz band, you can separate some high-bandwidth IoT devices from regular devices on 5GHz as an additional benefit over RT-BE96U.

The appeal of GT-BE98 over RT-BE96U is its 4x2.5GbE ports. This basically eliminates the need for a 2.5GbE switch in my house, which costs roughly the same as the price difference between GT-BE98 Pro and RT-BE96U. I imagine GT-BE98 will cost less than GT-BE98 Pro, so that makes it even more appealing. Also, with a second 5GHz band, you can separate some high-bandwidth IoT devices from regular devices on 5GHz as an additional benefit over RT-BE96U.
I know when I tried AX16000, the 6GHz range in my environment was concerning. Would only work on the 1st floor so it's the reason I'm leaning for the non-pro version. I don't need 2 6GHz bands.