What's new

Guest Network on AiMesh node?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just found something that works with AiMesh and LAN isolation.

Under Wireless > Professional > Set AP Isolated = Yes.

So basically all my 'guest clients' are on 2.4Ghz with AP Isolated. They can no longer see my Sonos and play their own stuff.

Everyone (me) on the 5Ghz band has access to Sonos etc.

Nice little workaround until I fathom out if to bin my Asus hardware for something with VLAN/Guest support under Mesh.

Hi all,
Unfortunatelly i have the same issue on Asus Lyra mini imesh system .No cover for guest network from nodes.
this Discussion started on Feb 2 , 2019 which is more than a year. thats make me think will ever Asus do something about it ?
Does anyone know an imesh system that has a bandwith limit on guest network and nodes can extend it as well as the basic wifi?
thanks

Last edited:
seems like guest network only works if all your devices are zenwifi devices (CT8/XT8).
I got a pair of CT8s from my ISP at a discounted price and tested this.
Once I added my old x2 RT-A68U s to the AIMesh, guest network is only transmitted by the main zenwifi (CT8 in router mode).
speeds are awesome with the CT8 but they really need to fix this guest network thing

Strange. Guest network only appears on my main Zenwifi XT8 node but not on satellite XT8 nodes.....

Good morninig everyone,
let me help you on this because i have contacted Asus and request an answer:

''Regarding the below described case, we kindly inform you that according to the specifications it is not expected to have guest network on the AiMesh network nodes.''

It is not expected..
Maybe they dont plan to fix this issue..

If you have a pure Zen AiMesh and guest WLANS are broadcasting from all nodes, are the remote node guest wireless clients isolated from all non-guest LAN/WLAN clients? That's the whole point of guest WLANs.

OE

Only the zenwifi's.

we wait zzzz.
As a work around im using a RT68u with merlin in AP mode (deliberately not put in AIMesh) to broadcast guest network.
the rt68u needs a custom script to make guest network work properly (and even then only 2.4ghz guest works correctly ! zzz).

https://dongknows.com/asus-zenwifi-ax-xt8-review/
David
Tuesday, June 9th, 2020 at 12:27 am
I just got off the phone with the (Dutch) Asus support. Yes, guest network on nodes is enabled in the ZenWifi line, but NO! it is not yet integrated in the Firmware of the Zenwifi AX (3.0.0.4.386_25509 as of today). It is on their roadmap right now, to be released Q2/Q3 2020.

Hi @Yota ,
I've read again you reply after some months.

I think I am missing one thing:
Is it possible to login via SSH into an AiMesh node?
I didn't know this.

@RMerlin since we're on the topic... Any news from Asus?

Thanks to everyone

So basically all my 'guest clients' are on 2.4Ghz with AP Isolated. They can no longer see my Sonos and play their own stuff.

Nice little workaround until I fathom out if to bin my Asus hardware for something with VLAN/Guest support under Mesh.

I'll have to give this a shot tks for the pro tip. I just hope my printer can connect to 5g hehe. Just found out today when setting up a guest network that they don't connect to the aimesh node. extremely disappointing.

The news are right here, a few posts above:

This answers another question I had. Would indeed be nice to see whats connected to what guest network in the UI network map.

Doesn't work man. With guest network and aimesh on the node isn't used. WIth guest off and setting AP isolated on I can still ping and print between 2.4 and 5 ghz bands and Ethernet lan ports. Am I doing something wrong? AC86u. Maybe I misunderstood your post.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!