What's new

Guest networks not working with VPN client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

myol

New Around Here
I just purchased an RT-AX92U after seeing possible future support for it in GNUton's thread. I haven't flashed the beta firmware yet; still on the official merlin 3.0.0.4.386_46061 version just to discover the features of the official firmware. Using it as a wireless router, not in a mesh. I set up a couple of guest networks on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and did the very basic of security hardening by disabling the usual as pointed out in the AiProtection.

Everything seems ok until I activate the VPN client functionality using an .opvn configuration. My main network devices have no issue (the VPN is working), but all guest clients cannot get internet access. I did some minimal sleuthing and came across references to YazFi but is this really necessary? I just want the guest clients to use the same VPN via the stock functionality.

I haven't used the stock firmware however with Merlin's running 7.2 I have three open VPN clients running and using the VPN director I have no issue with devices connected on the guest network routing using the VPN. I don't use YazFi.

Thank you for your response @CaptainSTX , good to know Merlin works without issue.

As for the stock firmware, it appears I have been hit by an odd bug that I found after a little more digging. I had created guest networks using the first column of the three available, which assigned the guest network index as 1. All devices that connected to those initial guest networks got assigned the wrong IP range of x.x.100.x , instead of the range x.x.50.x as defined in my DHCP Server settings.

The solution in the linked post is to recreate the guest networks in the second of the three columns which assigns them as index 2. Now after disabling the first column guest networks and with a couple of reboots later, all clients on the guest networks are now assigned the correct IP range.

The first guest network column has the option 'Sync to AiMesh Node' which the second and third are missing, so I am assuming the IP range bug is in relation to that logic. From the comments in that thread it seems like this affected Merlin at one point too.

EDIT: Someone can mark this thread solved since I cannot see the option.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!