What's new

Has anyone tried changing Entware install from standard to "alternative"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cmkelley

Very Senior Member
Chasing down why I can't install Entware man and man-db packages, I discovered there are actually two different ways to install Entware (https://github.com/Entware/Entware/wiki/Alternative-install-vs-standard). RMerlin's install script performs the standard installation, which seems appropriate for most users. However, some packages, such as man-db and (I think) OpenSSH rely on either the alternative installation, or some defaults (such as user 0 being named "root") that are not present in Asuswrt or -Merlin.

It seems from examining the install scripts that the major difference is that the passwd, group, and shells files in /opt/etc are independent of the /etc passwd, group, and shells in the alternative installation whereas they are symlinked to the /etc files in the standard installs. They also install the Entware Busybox by default.

Has anyone tried this? Does anyone see any potential pitfalls of doing this? I'm not anywhere near smart enough to even guess if Diversion or pixelsrv-tls would be impacted without trying. I'm willing to experiment if nobody can think of a show-stopper, but before I break my Entware, I thought I'd check if anyone else had gone down this road.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!