What's new

Has the RT-AC87U been fixed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

self powered, no need for USB power

the self powered bit is your first issue , its fine for a comp with n 800w power supply to drive these hdd's but they dont do well in routers

i have a powered usb3 hdd here and it works fine on the 87u

the self powered bit is your first issue , its fine for a comp with n 800w power supply to drive these hdd's but they dont do well in routers

As I wrote in my first post my harddrives have an own power supply, no need for USB power. So this can't be the issue.

USB3.0 in 87u can provide 2700mA (2.7A)

Then keep it plugged into the USB2 port ;)

One won't notice that much difference in performance...

Well, I have around 60 MBytes per second using the USB 3 port and just around 28 MBytes per second using the USB 2 port. You call that no "much difference in performance"? For me this is a decision if I need 10 minutes every weekend to copy data, or 25 minutes.

on an rt-ac87u , tbh i doubt your testing procedure as thats what they are getting one the much newer ac3100 and ac88u

Well, I was reading a file the first time (so no cache) with a size of 1.781.137.408 Bytes from that USB 3 harddrive at the USB 3 port of the RT-AC87U in exactly 25,6 seconds. Do the math on your own, if you don't believe me. :)

Of course writing is a little bit slower, around 50 MBytes per seconds. Which is still quite fast. I guess it will be faster if I format the harddrive with ext4 (currently NTFS).

Is there any particular reason you have to use NTFS? If not, try and see if the errors persist if you use ext4.

USB3.0 in 87u can provide 2700mA (2.7A)

Only with a USB3 compliant cable that has the extra power lines... many folks might be using USB2 cables, as they're handy, and they plug in..

But as Pete mentioned - there's still a power budget to be concerned about here with total power available at the wall adapter...

Is there any particular reason you have to use NTFS? If not, try and see if the errors persist if you use ext4.

Currently I have not the time and space to backup all data on this drive first. But it will be my next try.

Only with a USB3 compliant cable that has the extra power lines... many folks might be using USB2 cables, as they're handy, and they plug in..
This brings to mind warnings about faulty USB3 cables that I came across a while back. Here's a random link I found on Google by a user having a problem very similar to yours: http://askubuntu.com/questions/344746/usb-3-0-works-sometimes-usb-2-0-works-always

Short version: Beware cheap USB3 cables, try using a known brand specifically certified for USB3 on the package.

Short version: Beware cheap USB3 cables, try using a known brand specifically certified for USB3 on the package.

simple answer is dont use usb ext cables , just use what is supplied with the hdd enclosure or is usb dongle dont use any at all

My AC87U has been working nicely for over 2 years, and was a noticable upgrade from the AC68U. Though now it's started failing, giving me issues similar to what others have been reporting in this and other threads.

It started around a month ago with 5 GHz WiFi devices suddenly disconnecting and reconnecting several times per minute for a while. After that, they work again for a several hours or a few days even until they start disconnecting/reconnecting again.

The 2,4 GHz WiFi and wired connections don't have this issue. But just yesterday the WAN connection started disconnecting randomly, requiring a reboot of the router to reconnect.

Power cycling, re-flashing, restoring to factory defaults and replacing the USB SSD drive attached doesn't help. :(

I guess it's time to upgrade once again, this time to an AX88U...

My AC87U has been working nicely for over 2 years, and was a noticable upgrade from the AC68U. Though now it's started failing, giving me issues similar to what others have been reporting in this and other threads.

It started around a month ago with 5 GHz WiFi devices suddenly disconnecting and reconnecting several times per minute for a while. After that, they work again for a several hours or a few days even until they start disconnecting/reconnecting again.

The 2,4 GHz WiFi and wired connections don't have this issue. But just yesterday the WAN connection started disconnecting randomly, requiring a reboot of the router to reconnect.

Power cycling, re-flashing, restoring to factory defaults and replacing the USB SSD drive attached doesn't help. :(

I guess it's time to upgrade once again, this time to an AX88U...

Could try a spare ac/dc power adapter...

OE

Could try a spare ac/dc power adapter...

No luck. The issue seems to be isolated to the 5 GHz WiFi. If I turn it off I have no issues at all and when I connect devices to the 2,4 GHz WiFi they don't exhibit the problems they do when connected to the 5 GHz WiFI.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!