What's new

Have a question for you pro's

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pinkfloyd1173

So I have been using the bandwidth limiter for about 3 months now on my ps4 and gaming rig. Reason being is because if I just use Adaptive QOS and pick the gaming profile I always get really bad scores on DSL reports. The bufferbloat always comes back with a grade of D or F, now I have Spectrum internet 300 down and 20 up.

Well yesterday I upgraded to the new Merlin FW 384.4.2, I decided to stop using the the BL and start using the AQOS with the gaming profile. Well set up the AQOS and did a restart, I forgot to remove the the values on the bandwidth limiter. I decided since that option was not being used that no reason to worry about it.

I ran a DSL reports speedtest again and to my amazement I was getting A's across the board?? I tried this about 3 times and same thing, well decided to try it again in a few hours to see if it was just a glitch. I was getting the same results, ran the tests every 20 mins through out the day, no change A's across the board. So I decided to take away the values that I have for the PS4 & PC in the bandwidth limiter page, did a restart ran a test and my results were, C, F, C, on the DSL reports speedtest. Ran a few of them and same results getting pretty bad grades. I decided to put the same vaules back in the BL page and ran some new speedtests, to my amazement I was getting A's across the board again.

Now I know that AQOS and BL will not work at the same time, but having those values in the BL page has to be doing something in order for me to be getting A's all the time now. If I remove those values then I get bad grades, also for got to mention that my speedtests also went up form 305 down, 21 up to 352 down and 25 up with this new setup.

Dont know if this is something new in the Merlin FW or just a glitch, but since you guys on here know the coding of these routers maybe you might have a explanation for this happing.

The vaules I used for my PS4 & PC on the BL page are:

PS4 20 down 10 up
PC 35 down 10 up

The reason I use low values is because this is the only way I would get good results on the DSL reports.

Well hopefully someone can try this and see if they get the same results.

Thanks in advance.