What's new

have any body heard of this model. Asus RT-AC68A

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

someone on slickdeals had a thought: go into rescue mode, shovel a CFW down its throat. guess what? the ac68a won't go into rescue mode! pressing Reset and powering on does nothing.

someone on slickdeals had a thought: go into rescue mode, shovel a CFW down its throat. guess what? the ac68a won't go into rescue mode! pressing Reset and powering on does nothing.

Did you do what is listed in the Asus site.

1. Unplug the wireless router from the power source.
2. Hold the Reset button at the rear panel and simultaneously replug the wireless router into the power source. Release the Reset button when the Power LED at the front panel flashes slowly, which indicates that the wireless router is in the rescue mode.

Did you do what is listed in the Asus site.

Unplug the wireless router from the power source.
2. Hold the Reset button at the rear panel and simultaneously
replug the wireless router into the power source. Release the
Reset button when the Power LED at the front panel flashes
slowly, which indicates that the wireless router is in the rescue mode.
That's exactly what I did. The power LED never blinks. Router starts as usual.

So that answers part of the mystery of the RT-AC68U HW Rev C1.

Why does this remind me of Linksys playing games with the WRT54G's back in the day?

Sorry to see this happening with the RT-AC68 series...

Well i took the plug after all you cant beat $114 I'm just not going to auto update and do it manually
so from the whole discussion, there are two different versions of ac68a being sold. one has fw ver. 1xxx preloaded and will only update to 1xxx fw. This version has full 68u functions and supports cfw. The other one has fw ver. 2xxx preloaded and will only update to 2xxx fw. In this version many functions are crippled and you can't flush cfw. It's hit or miss, best of luck to you

so from the whole discussion, there are two different versions of ac68a being sold. one has fw ver. 1xxx preloaded and will only update to 1xxx fw. This version has full 68u functions and supports cfw. The other one has fw ver. 2xxx preloaded and will only update to 2xxx fw. In this version many functions are crippled and you can't flush cfw. It's hit or miss, best of luck to you
well if I get the crippled one I will just send it back and wait for the 1900p with the 1.4GHz http://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AC1900P/ that's coming out this month

Why does this remind me of Linksys playing games with the WRT54G's back in the day?

Sorry to see this happening with the RT-AC68 series...

At least if Asus is changing the model name, it will allow people to make sure they get the correct model. And they are upgrading, not downgrading specs. Linksys was far worse because they would DOWNGRADE specs, without even changing the model number. It was borderline illegal, quite frankly.

I received two of them, one for myself and one for my sister. Both of them have the 2895 firmware version on it. I was planning on taking the time to set them both up tomorrow, but not sure it's going to be worth it. My sister could get away with basic features, however I'm poweruser/geek in the family.

But it really does tick me off knowing that it's crippled right from the get go. So I guess my question is, do I wait a few days and see if all you great people here come up with a workaround, or just send it back?

In the meantime, I think am email to both asus and amazon are going out in the morning. Asus it may fall on deaf ears, but amazon better listen up, I may just have to take my hermit lifestyle, put it away and actually go shopping at actual stores again. In the past 6 months I have placed 172 orders - I'm a shopping, no wait, new tech/gadget addict. *sigh*

so can we comfirm this is just the rt-ac68A unit that is being crippled and its the cheaper unit that amazon are selling

this does not effect other versions like the U/R/P ?

I am sorry to hear about what could be the hardware crippling of these models. I was afraid this would be happening to Asus. Obviously the FCC and FTC have tickled their goat. The only one I'd be interested at this point is the new RT-AC1900P with the 1.4Ghz CPU. I could also go for a price reduced RT-ac5300 or wait for news of an Asus model based on the new BCM 64 bit quad core chip in late summer or early fall. Hopefully these will have most of their full functionality even if they only allow a forward upgrading of their firmware.

Last edited:
The unit I received appears to not have the "crippleware". Hopefully as long as I never update the stock firmware, and I stick with the asuswrt-merlin side of things, I will be happy. Asus can't force a firmware upgrade right?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

There is probably a reason why this device is sold at such a low price. It's probably Amazon who asked Asus for a lower cost SKU, and the trade off was to take away some of its features to justify its lower price.

It's not uncommon, look at the Netgear R6900 for instance.

If you want the full feature set, you probably have to buy the SKU at the full price. There's no free lunch there...

this does not effect other versions like the U/R/P ?

Provided what I know and what I can currently share, there's currently nothing to worry about regarding the U/P/R SKUs. Asuswrt-Merlin will continue to be flashable on these, even after the new FCC requirements kick in.

There is probably a reason why this device is sold at such a low price. It's probably Amazon who asked Asus for a lower cost SKU, and the trade off was to take away some of its features to justify its lower price.

Similar or same with regards to RAM/NAND/CPU between the 68A and 68U? Or did they gimp it further there as well?

It's not uncommon, look at the Netgear R6900 for instance.

If you want the full feature set, you probably have to buy the SKU at the full price. There's no free lunch there...

The problem is that it's not really cheaper now, it's up to 179. The 114 was only for a few days, jumped to 124 and then went full price shortly after.

I understand what you are saying, and it may not be the case at all, but if that was what they hoped to justify it with, it went out the window. I'm still waiting on replies from both companies... And I'm sure I will be for a while.

When I first was given the delayed in shipping answer from Amzaon, I wrote to Asus customer support. Here is the answer I received:

Hello xxxx,

Thank you for taking time reaching out to ASUS - North America Escalations team. I reviewed your case and I found out that you are requesting for the (1) release date of ASUS RT-AC68A and (2) it's specifications.

As per the (1) release date, it tentative date would be April 18th. Regarding it's (2) specification, it's completely the same as RT-AC68U model.

Regards,
Michelle
Customer Care Team
ASUS Computer International
http://www.asus.com/us/support/
Component Support: 1-812-282-2787
System Support: 1-888-678-3688

Looking like that's not the case, huh?? Mine is still on order at Amazon. Wondering if I should cancel. Ended up getting the AC1900 from T-Mobile and it works perfectly after struggling for a day trying to get it to work :)

In the meantime, I think am email to both asus and amazon are going out in the morning. Asus it may fall on deaf ears, but amazon better listen up, I may just have to take my hermit lifestyle, put it away and actually go shopping at actual stores again. In the past 6 months I have placed 172 orders - I'm a shopping, no wait, new tech/gadget addict. *sigh*
Good luck. I submitted a pissed off review on Amazon about how the fw cripples the router. Amazon doesn't post it.

The problem is that it's not really cheaper now, it's up to 179. The 114 was only for a few days, jumped to 124 and then went full price shortly after.

Might be a supply vs demand thing. Tim often posted about how new routers seem to have their price jacked up on places like Amazon for a while around their release time.

Similar or same with regards to RAM/NAND/CPU between the 68A and 68U? Or did they gimp it further there as well?

I don't know anything more than what's posted in this thread.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!