What's new

Help getting internet in a bedroom PC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jfim88

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys...

I’m living in a new home now and can’t have my PC wired to the router.

Now I have the company router (Mitrastar HGU) with a 600Mbps symmetric fiber connection.
I need to get Internet in a bedroom for my PC with the high speed posible.
I have an Asus RT-AC68U. Tested in repeater mode connected to the 5Ghz wifi of my company router and wired to the PC but speed is only 100Mbps.

What’s the best option? What do you recommend?
Thanks in advance

You might get more speed in Media Bridge mode. You could try using two powerline adapters.

I’ll try in Media Bridge mode! I’ll need to reset the router because for unknown reason I can’t access the interface now, only the first time when I reset the router and setup it. When setup is finished, I can’t access anymore.

I’ll try in Media Bridge mode! I’ll need to reset the router because for unknown reason I can’t access the interface now, only the first time when I reset the router and setup it. When setup is finished, I can’t access anymore.
Remember that when you switch it from "router mode" to "repeater mode" its IP address will change.

Didn’t know that. What address should be now?
When you setup repeater mode it asks you what IP address you want it to use. If you choose "automatic" it will use whatever address your primary router gives it (DHCP). If you choose "manual" you can set whatever you want.

If you set it to automatic you can either look on the primary router for its address or use the Asus Device Discovery utility.

Ok, the router in repeater mode shows 1300Mbps Link rate and -52dBm, but the status of Lan 1 port shows 100Mbps with a Cat 5e cable. It should be 1Gbps, right?

SOLVED!
Tested with another 5e cable I have and now it’s 1Gbps. Download now is about 570Mbps and upload 520Mbps. It’s not the 620 I had with direct cable but it’s good.