What's new

HELP GT-AX11000 getting worse by the day (losing connections by device type)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PSU_Dave

New Around Here
So I've had this horrible piece of hardware since the spring and up to about 2 weeks ago, it was fairly "stable" with what worked and what didn't. I've had ongoing issues with getting the connected but no internet on my phones and laptops, ethernet and wifi for months... then about 2 weeks I noticed that I started losing WIFI connectivity (by device type) day by day.
First i lost the ability to use my Echo Show devices. it would say connected to the wifi but couldn't connect to the alexa network. Factory reset of the Alexa worked 1x but after the issue reemerged I couldnt fix with a reset. The next day the Roku that was router adjacent stopped connecting. Up next was my regular alexa echo dots... and now this morning my HP Printer, while connected to wifi, can't do a scan to email.

i know some will say that it could be the network but the workaround for EVERY one of the above was to connect to the ISP's wifi modem router. Once I do that, I regain full functionality. Restarts of the Router and the modem/router do nothing.
I am running Merlin 386.3_2 on this router and do have VPN client configured (but even when I turn off the VPN connection I still have the above issues).
I have tried doing a FULL Factory reset of the router and have this about as simple as i can make it. There is an AI Mesh but again when I disconnect that, same issues.
Smart Connect is disabled and turning Wifi 6 On/off has no effect.

I would love to go to the stock firmware but the problem is the ROG firmware has limited VPN options (from what I can't see) so I can't update the settings I need to fully setup a proper tunnel. Heck I tried switching to that but the VPN connection is critical for the time being.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? This was an expensive piece of hardware and I'm about ready to put a hammer through it before tossing it in the garbage.
The ONLY THING it does well is allow a fast connection between my laptop and my NAS for recurring backups.
(PS I've noticed when the router automatically resets I lose the ethernet connection as well)

If a reset and then minimal configuration of Asuswrt from scratch (in that order) with a minimally wired up network does not afford normal/stable/typical router service for your mainstream clients (not the so-called smart or dumb/cheap ones since they usually have their own issues), then I would suspect a firmware issue, if the issue is bug-like and tolerable; or a hardware issue, if the misbehavior is really wacky and intolerable i.e. you can't even use it reliably and it worsens.

This is how I would commission a new router... prove it incrementally over a suitable period of time as you gradually build up your new network until you trust it... then you can play with your network, more advanced functions/features, and other firmware.

That's not much help, but it's where I would start.

OE

Last edited:
I just turned off wifi 6 on all channels to see if that would help. I would LOVE to go back to the stock firmware but the problem is the ROG VPN configuration is non-existent.

Do you have an Asus GT-AX11000, not RT? If so, I may have some info for you.
Apologies I do have the GT-AX11000 (and turning off Wifi6 on all bands didnt resolve all the issues). Appreciate any into you have to share

Dave,
The reason I asked if you have the GT-AX11000 is my experience in this exact same model may not apply to other models and I don't want to make a long dissertation. First, I have used ASUS routers with Merlin for many years and never had one with a confirmed hardware problem until this one. Also this was my primary router instead of running behind an ISP wifi router like you.

I had intermittent internet disconnect going back to when I purchased it new. It would happen all the sudden and reboots would not resolve the issue. As I cannot allow the downtime due to work from home and had to replace it with an spare slower non ASUS non AX11000 router. Then on the GT I would do a factory reset and then reconfigure with basic setup without Port forwarding and manual local IPs for security cameras. It would run well for a couple of months and then all the sudden it would get intermittent internet disconnects again.

Fortunately my router is still under warranty so I called tech support and had to suffer through all the non sense testing procedures. Then the CSR said I could send in the router for repair at my expense. As I had lost confidence in the GT I decided to send it in. I expected them to take weeks but to my surprise within 5 days for mailing it by USPS I got an email saying the router was not repairable and they will make arrangement for a replacement! I would think this router had a hardware issue either known by ASUS or easily testable for such a quick turnaround. I have not receive the replacement yet but hopefully this info will help you on narrowing down you options.

Dave,
The reason I asked if you have the GT-AX11000 is my experience in this exact same model may not apply to other models and I don't want to make a long dissertation. First, I have used ASUS routers with Merlin for many years and never had one with a confirmed hardware problem until this one. Also this was my primary router instead of running behind an ISP wifi router like you.

I had intermittent internet disconnect going back to when I purchased it new. It would happen all the sudden and reboots would not resolve the issue. As I cannot allow the downtime due to work from home and had to replace it with an spare slower non ASUS non AX11000 router. Then on the GT I would do a factory reset and then reconfigure with basic setup without Port forwarding and manual local IPs for security cameras. It would run well for a couple of months and then all the sudden it would get intermittent internet disconnects again.

Fortunately my router is still under warranty so I called tech support and had to suffer through all the non sense testing procedures. Then the CSR said I could send in the router for repair at my expense. As I had lost confidence in the GT I decided to send it in. I expected them to take weeks but to my surprise within 5 days for mailing it by USPS I got an email saying the router was not repairable and they will make arrangement for a replacement! I would think this router had a hardware issue either known by ASUS or easily testable for such a quick turnaround. I have not receive the replacement yet but hopefully this info will help you on narrowing down you options.
So the problem I have with that is i need a piece of functioning hardware and I cant just pass this over to ASUS for an indeterminate period of time. I understand they had a lot of problems from both a hardware and a software standpoint with this router which is why I will be switching to a new manufacturer if these problems continue AFTER i get back to the states and can switch back over to the ROG Firmware

I just ran the firmware update two days ago for my GT-AX11000, Version 3.0.0.4.386.45898. Within one hour after running update, my Nest Cameras started going offline. Two of the seven Cameras keep going offline for a few hours, then coming back online for a hour or so, then back offline. I rebooted my router, that did not help. I changed the channel for the two cameras and that did not work. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!