What's new

Help installing LTS Firmware on RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nite01

Occasional Visitor
I have an RT-AC66U, at the moment I think I have the official firmware by Asus (It shows 3.0.0.4.382_50470).
I did read the installation instructions for the LTS Fork, but I have a couple of questions :
1) When the instructions tell to perform a factory default reset following the firmware update, does it mean from the Router web interface (In Administration \ restore tab, there is a Factory reset function) ? Or do I have to do the WPS button method ? Or are those actually the same thing ?
2) About the "reformat and restore JFFS", even if I shouldn't have to do it, how is it done on my model ? (In the past I used to run the regular Merlin, then for some reason years ago I installed the original (I think), I don't really recall what I did... so just in case I'd reformat everything :)

Thanks.

1) Either method should work. Hard Factory Reset procedure is model specific: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/
2) Hard Factory Reset or restore and initialize all settings should wipe the /jffs. Merlin or LTS firmware does have an option to format the /jffs if needed.

Just make sure to do a factory reset after flashing the new firmware.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!