What's new

Help me Choose between RT AX 86U Pro Vs RT AX 88U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ampicillin

Occasional Visitor
Help me Choose between RT AX 86U Pro Vs RT AX 88U Pro.

Looking for a great router that can last for couple of years and gives the best gigabit speed.

The AX86U Pro may be the better buy as it has been on sale recently. It also may in time prove to have the better hardware. And you need to ask yourself if high bandwidth or stable connection is more important. Most Soho networks never use a gig bandwidth!

Looking for a great router that can last for couple of years and gives the best gigabit speed.

Not sure about great (count on good), but RT-AX86U Pro is a compact size router and will give you Gigabit speeds wired. Wireless speeds depend on the client capabilities. With most common 2-stream 80MHz capable clients you can get around 800Mbps throughput close to the router.

If 2nd 2.5GbE port is not needed I would prefer RT-AX86U Pro. The same hardware inside, better looking, takes less space, runs the same level firmware.

Not sure about great (count on good), but RT-AX86U Pro is a compact size router and will give you Gigabit speeds wired. Wireless speeds depend on the client capabilities. With most common 2-stream 80MHz capable clients you can get around 800Mbps throughput close to the router.

If 2nd 2.5GbE port is not needed I would prefer RT-AX86U Pro. The same hardware inside, better looking, takes less space, runs the same level firmware.

Thank you. What is max Wi-Fi speed it can give AX86U Pro? Can it go over 1Gbps if my ISP provides 2000Mbps connection. I understand it supports WAN for 2.5G but if theoretically I would want to use Wi-Fi if it can go beyond 1Gbps or I need to install PCIe WiFi card in the PC?

Speed over Wi-Fi depends on multiple factors. Common 2-stream AC clients get about 500Mbps, common 2-stream AX clients get about 800Mbps. This is with fail-safe 80MHz wide channel in non-DFS range, close to the router and some usual Wi-Fi activity around. For more you need working in your area 160MHz wide channel (clear DFS channels required), AX client with 160MHz channel support (not all of them support it), close to the router (you trade range for speed with 160MHz channel) and quiet Wi-Fi environment (no other networks using the same channels). If all the conditions are met you can see up to 1.7Gbps throughput. ISP with 2Gbps and single 2.5GbE WAN port router - only aggregate traffic to multiple wired + wireless clients and sometimes.

Note the throughput ~500Mbps (AC), ~800Mbps (AX) is shared between all wireless clients, not to each. This is all you get over Wi-Fi to all clients.

Help me Choose between RT AX 86U Pro Vs RT AX 88U Pro.

Either router would serve you well for a GIG connection for WAN. Whether you see GIG over WIFI depends on many variables but I bet you will see at least 600-700 mbs In 5ghz under most circumstances. Home structure and client Hardware wI’ll determine what you get. in optimal enviornments, I saw a review which showed that the 88u pro could get over 1Gig on WiFi…

https://dongknows.com/asus-rt-ax88u-pro-review/

i own the 88u Pro and love it. If I had to make the decision again, I would buy the 88u Pro because it’s only like an extra $50 and its more future proof:

1) Has extra 2.5gps port which is handy for a NAS.
2) Is wall mountable while the 86u is not.
3) Supports 4 by 4 over 2.4.
4) Extra external antenna.

I’ve seen the 88u pro reduced in price by $20 at Microcenter in the past.

There are far better choices for wall mounted application:

1685898818635.png

:D

Not necessarily better and the biggest reason it will not work for many is it has no Merlin support with the Qualcomm chipset. I looked at it and decided it was not going to work as soon as I saw no Merlin support and that I would need an additional switch to convert 10 gig to 2.5 Gig for my NAS.

Depends on the application. Sure that router has better specs but most households will never realize the difference after spending a $100 premium. Very few will ever really “need” 10gig for the next 5-10 years.

Either router would serve you well for a GIG connection for WAN. Whether you see GIG over WIFI depends on many variables but I bet you will see at least 600-700 mbs In 5ghz under most circumstances. Home structure and client Hardware wI’ll determine what you get. in optimal enviornments, I saw a review which showed that the 88u pro could get over 1Gig on WiFi…

https://dongknows.com/asus-rt-ax88u-pro-review/

i own the 88u Pro and love it. If I had to make the decision again, I would buy the 88u Pro because it’s only like an extra $50 and its more future proof:

1) Has extra 2.5gps port which is handy for a NAS.
3) Supports 4 by 4 over 2.4.
4) Extra external antenna.

I’ve seen the 88u pro reduced in price by $20 at Microcenter in the past.

Thank you. Made a decision and bought AX86U Pro.

Speed over Wi-Fi depends on multiple factors. Common 2-stream AC clients get about 500Mbps, common 2-stream AX clients get about 800Mbps. This is with fail-safe 80MHz wide channel in non-DFS range, close to the router and some usual Wi-Fi activity around. For more you need working in your area 160MHz wide channel (clear DFS channels required), AX client with 160MHz channel support (not all of them support it), close to the router (you trade range for speed with 160MHz channel) and quiet Wi-Fi environment (no other networks using the same channels). If all the conditions are met you can see up to 1.7Gbps throughput. ISP with 2Gbps and single 2.5GbE WAN port router - only aggregate traffic to multiple wired + wireless clients and sometimes.

Note the throughput ~500Mbps (AC), ~800Mbps (AX) is shared between all wireless clients, not to each. This is all you get over Wi-Fi to all clients.

Thank you. I usually do not use WiFi on PC. I am connected to ISP router through cable on my PC. This is in case if I get 2000Mbps connection and wanted to switch to WiFi although have 2.5G port on AX86U Pro. Any suggestions for good WiFi card for Asus motherboards. I am looking at Asus PCE-AX58BT and AX5400 PCIe WiFi Card (Archer TXE75E) to boost WiFi speed in case if I need to connect to WiFi.

This is in case if I get 2000Mbps connection

You'll be perhaps just paying more for a service plan you don't really need and can't actually use plus spending money on extra hardware resulting in little to none improvements to your daily Internet experience. There is one speedtest chaser on SNB Forum every day with the same questions and ideas. It's a big win for your ISP and hardware vendors. You only pay more and enjoy the speedtest numbers from time to time.

You'll be perhaps just paying more for a service plan you don't really need and can't actually use plus spending money on extra hardware resulting in little to none improvements to your daily Internet experience. There is one speedtest chaser on SNB Forum every day with the same questions and ideas. It's a big win for your ISP and hardware vendors. You only pay more and enjoy the speedtest numbers from time to time.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. Such speeds are not required for average consumer. :D

Just noticed AX 86u pro has only one 2.5G WAN/LAN port? So technically I can't use beyond 1Gbps since I need two 2.5G ports right?

GT-AX6000 is the router you need at the lowest price possible (wait for sales).

GT-AX6000 is the router you need at the lowest price possible (wait for sales).

This seems like a good router since I'm looking for a router that can support 2.5G through LAN as I may switch to 2.5G next year. I would spend little extra just so that I would get an advantage of speed and wouldn't want to change router after a year or two just because it doesn't support 2.5G speed.

I'm using AC66U B1 (been over 5 years) and it's giving me max 300mbps through Wi-Fi and 950Mbps through LAN. If AX86u pro I can't utilize 2.5G through LAN port is not good

Just noticed AX 86u pro has only one 2.5G WAN/LAN port? So technically I can't use beyond 1Gbps since I need two 2.5G ports right?

This single 2.5GbE WAN port in theory may provide full Gigabit to Ethernet ports + traffic on Wi-Fi at the same time. Aggregate traffic may exceed Gigabit speeds, but never to single client unless you have ideal conditions for up to 1.7Gbps over Wi-Fi with 160MHz wide channel, clear DFS channels, no other active networks around, 160MHz support client and some luck. In reality - marketing involved. Similar to AX5700 class (5.7Gbps to what?) number.

This single 2.5GbE WAN port in theory may provide full Gigabit to Ethernet ports + traffic on Wi-Fi at the same time. Aggregate traffic may exceed Gigabit speeds, but never to single client unless you have ideal conditions for up to 1.7Gbps over Wi-Fi with 160MHz wide channel, clear DFS channels, no other active networks around, 160MHz support client and some luck. In reality - marketing involved. Similar to AX5700 class (5.7Gbps to what?) number.
But technically it should give 2.5G over the LAN if we use cable correct. I do not prefer Wi-Fi on PC.

I own both RT-AX86U and RT-AX88U models, and have recently bought 2 RT-AX88U PROs to replace my AX86Us and downgrade the AX88U to a mesh node. I may replace it with a PRO model later.

My own experience has been that I hit issues with the configuration of WiFi on my RT-AX86Us effecting the ability of some (mainly IoT) 2.4Ghz devices. These problems only impact when the AX86U is used as a mesh node, and can be temporarily resolved by toggling Wireless Authentication Method to another setting and back to WPA2 - this has also been reported by another user. My AX88U has been rock solid for my use case once early firmware issues were resolved.

However, I think there is some information that has been overlooked in previous replies. The two routers differ in their 2.4Ghz networking - the AX86U is 3x3 and therefore can support 3 concurrent spatial streams, whereas the AX88U is 4x4 and therefore supports 4 concurrent spatial streams. My network is 2.4Ghz heavy due to IoT devices and therefore I prefer the better 2.4Ghz capacity for concurrent client connections.

So far both AX88U PROs are working well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!