What's new

Help: Need a router that I can assign DL speed, etc

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

joms

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I need your help.

We have 3x desktops , 3x notebooks, 4x ipads, 5x iphones, 5x smart TVs, etc in our house. I have configured each to have a manual IP. We often use netflix (max of 2 users watching at a time), youtube, facebook.

Now, I am in need of a wireless router that can do the following:

1) Router where I can turn off internet access on a certain IP address
2) Router where I can limit the Download speed on a certain IP address
3) Optional but good to have - where I can restrict a certain IP address from accessing facebook or youtube
4) Best router that I could get for $300. If router A cost $100 and router B cost $300 and both can do the same thing, then I would still get router B ($300). (I always want to get the best there is. Let's please not argue this point and leave it as it is. Thanks).
5) I can't get 2 devices (Router+Access Point). I need it to be 1 only due to space constraint. In short, I don't want to set up a whole computer as my router (PFsense)
6) The router should be simple enough to use such that wife (who has minimal computer knowledge) can still operate the turning on/off of the internet on a certain computer with ease.
7) As much as possible, minimal upgrading or maintenance needed.

Note: I am amenable to change a router's firmware if needed (Merlin, etc)

Note2: We have a special child (autistic) who opens 10+ youtube tabs which hogs the bandwidth thus the need for me to limit the download speed on his computer/ipad/TV,etc. At times, we need to turn his internet totally off because there are times wherein he intentionally wakes up at 1am (while we are sleeping) so that he could watch youtube + internet.

I am currently looking at the Asus RT-AC3200 but I don't know if it can do the things I've mentioned.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
With regards to Note 2 - bless his soul, he wants to reach out to the world...

You might have a good case for Qualcomm's Streamboost dynamic QoS - D-Link has one, it's an older device - the DGL5500, but it's a hundred bucks on the Amazon these days... it's an AC1750 class router/AP and meets most of your needs...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DDK1QUC/?tag=snbforums-20

Thanks. It says that there is an upgrade to the router you linked.

Amazon says this is the upgrade. Is this better?
D-Link AC3200 Ultra Tri-Band Wi-Fi Route

Hi,

I need your help.

We have 3x desktops , 3x notebooks, 4x ipads, 5x iphones, 5x smart TVs, etc in our house. I have configured each to have a manual IP. We often use netflix (max of 2 users watching at a time), youtube, facebook.

Now, I am in need of a wireless router that can do the following:

1) Budget = $300
2) Where I can turn off internet access on a certain IP address
3) Where I can limit the Download speed on a certain IP address
4) Optional - where I can restrict a certain IP address from accessing facebook or youtube

Note: I am amenable to change a router's firmware if needed (Merlin, etc)

Note2: We have a special child who opens 10+ youtube tabs which hogs the bandwidth thus the need for me to limit the download speed on his computer/ipad/TV,etc. At times, we need to turn his internet totally off because there are times wherein he intentionally wakes up at 1am (while we are sleeping) so that he could watch youtube + internet.

I am currently looking at the Asus RT-AC3200 but I don't know if it can do the things I've mentioned.

Thanks for the help.
You dont need an ASUS AC3200, you can use an ASUS AC68U, netgear R7000 because they all can use merlin firmware.

ASUS can do it with difficulty, another option is to get a merlin firmware compatible wifi router as AP and use a wired router like PFSense, mikrotik (wired, not wireless) because they have very fine control. PFsense is easier to configure than mikrotik but you will need to install it on a regular PC (or you can buy the embedded AMD or install on intel ATOM). Mikrotik has embedded and you can purchase based on the speed you need.

One thing all routers have nowadays is DHCP reservation meaning you can always give the same IP address to a host eliminating the need for static IP.

The solution for your kid isnt by using a router but by directing his energy to something useful such as learning math or programming in which youtube has video tutorials on it. Game design, graphics design and such also have video tutorials. I get that at times parental controls are needed but restricting someone can be counter productive sometimes. Instead of restricting use QoS to prevent some things from taking up all the bandwidth regardless of who it is.

system error message - Thanks for the reply but I think you skipped the part where I mentioned that the child in question is a "special child" (autistic) hence directing his energy to math or programming is not an option. If we don't limit his internet/computer usage then he will never sleep nor eat and this will be very unhealthy for him.

Anyway, I think I should adjust my original post to reflect my other concerns. Thanks for the reply though.

By the way, what do you mean by saying that Asus can do this but with difficulty? Is there no wireless router for $300 that can service my needs with a simple menu to turn things on/off and limit DL for a certain IP address? (Someone should crap pfsense in a box as small as the asus router and sell it to people like me. I'm sure im not the only one looking for those features in a small/compact box)

Last edited:
Traffic-shaping is hit or miss with AsusWRT. No clue why. Mix of imperfect programming and imperfect users, lol.

With some "simple" iptables and tc rules, it is guaranteed to be possible via command line. Edit: Wtf is a guaranteed possibility? Good job, me.

Limiting dls are kinda strange since you are only capable of requesting that the sender slow down. In the case of UDP, in-band download throttling is impossible.

Last edited:
Traffic-shaping is hit or miss with AsusWRT. No clue why. Mix of imperfect programming and imperfect users, lol.

With some "simple" iptables and tc rules, it is guaranteed to be possible via command line.

Limiting dls are kinda strange since you are only capable of requesting that the sender slow down. In the case of UDP, in-band download throttling is impossible.
This is why i suggested pfsense because both pfsense and mikrotik have a lot of options for QoS that you can combine together. Consumer routers can only either limit bandwidth or set priority. ASUS i know has parental controls in terms of timing. You could for schedule wifi to turn off every night with ASUS.

The comparison is simple. I use ASUS as a suggestion because it has good parental controls.
Non-consumer ______________________ASUS
Most often wired only _______________ All in one except modem (except the DSL-AC68U)
lots of control ____________________Can only control certain things
Full QoS capability ___________________ Cant change algorithm, can only use bandwidth or priority
Hard to configure _____________________ Easy to configure
Easy to configure extra functionality ________ complicated to add functionality

If you went with ASUS as an example you will be able to perform
- moderate QoS
- scheduling to control on and off (for wifi, internet, etc)
- Using Merlin firmware, gain non consumer firewall functionality. This can be used to hijack traffic and control it using firewall rules which can be complicated to configure
- May have parental controls to filter websites.

Ofcourse non consumer routers will do a lot more but the decision depends on the skill you have available and what you want from it. Some non consumer routers like pfsense can have both wired and wired which requires installing a WLAN card to the system. Take a look at pfsense and you may like it as not only for its features but the internet throughput that you get. With ASUS the only difference between AC3200 and lower aside from hardware are 2 hardware based features that rely on acceleration (others can clarify the difference). PFsense is free and can be installed on any PC to turn it into a router but they do sell tiny x86 boxes with pfsense pre-installed on them with many NICs.

Thanks. It says that there is an upgrade to the router you linked.

Amazon says this is the upgrade. Is this better?
D-Link AC3200 Ultra Tri-Band Wi-Fi Route

Hmmm, not really, as it doesn't have the QC Streamboost functionality which is something unique to that device...