What's new

Help Please Upgrade Time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jgrove

Regular Contributor
Hi All,

I have used a RT AX56U for a good few years, but it maybe time to change it.

I use the wifi for the unit only within my small office with only a few clients, but have a few 6e devices. I also have a few 2.5g network devices which currently work through a 2.5g switch which is linked to the 56U at its lower speed.
My WAN connection is a plus 1gig connection with a plus 100mb upload bandwidth

I dont need USB or some of the other features that have been seen on the RT units.

I had been considering a Asus ET12 as it has dual 2.5g ports (1 for WAN and 1 for LAN) its also upright which makes locating it easier.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts? I had also looked at the RT AX88U Pro but understand that's a 6 and not a 6e device.

Would like to get a few years out of the unit before needing to change again.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks you

I had been considering a Asus ET12

Get RT-AX88U Pro instead. Newer model with expected longer support and cheaper. Wi-Fi 6E won't give you noticeable better performance, but quite noticeable shorter range. If your 6E capable devices are phones/tablets - don't bother investing in Wi-Fi 6E router. With Wi-Fi 7 models coming why pay premium price for Wi-Fi 6E now? This ET12 router is only more expensive for the looks. No Asuswrt-Merlin support and the last official Asuswrt firmware release was in April 2023. It still doesn't have 3.0.0.6 Pro firmware available. The support is lagging behind the other models already.

Get RT-AX88U Pro instead. Newer model with expected longer support and cheaper. Wi-Fi 6E won't give you noticeable better performance, but quite noticeable shorter range. If your 6E capable devices are phones/tablets - don't bother investing in Wi-Fi 6E router. With Wi-Fi 7 models coming why pay premium price for Wi-Fi 6E now? This ET12 router is only more expensive for the looks. No Asuswrt-Merlin support and the last official Asuswrt firmware release was in April 2023. It still doesn't have 3.0.0.6 Pro firmware available. The support is lagging behind the other models already.
Thank you!

I agree that the RT-AX88U Pro is also my bet that it will have the longest support from today.

However, the GT-AX6000 may be had for fire sale prices (maybe even in your area), and would give equal performance 'in a small office with a few clients'.

WiFi 7 Gen2+ is where I would spend serious money in the foreseeable future, the GT-AX6000 should easily get us there (in your specific situation) and if it saved you some cash today, would be an even better value, long-term.

Of course, the prices between the two will be what determines what you buy/decide on. :)

If space is a concern you could get the XT12 single.
It is what I did as do not have room for a router that is almost a foot long like the 88 pro.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!