What's new

[HELP] Remote storage access ideas

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JagoX

New Around Here
Hey everyone...if a similar question to this has been asked (and answered) already then please direct me to the post :D

If not...then bare with me...like I'm sure some people on these forums, I do computer repair work, etc. on the side & a client of mine (a lawyer and his paralegal) would like a way to be able to access documents from outside their office. The easy answer to that would be Dropbox (or something similar)! However since these are highly sensitive legal documents we're talking about, I would rather not put them on some outside server.

The (2) options that pop up in my head are:
- Pre-built off the shelf NAS that allows external access
- Build a small Atom-powered server (I've already priced out a box at $250 after tax/ship)

Software:
- Ubuntu (Server?)
- FreeNAS

There is already a backup setup at their office so I don't need a RAID setup, just straight access to those files...so I'm only using a 500GB drive.

As for software though I'm a little stumped...and since I'd like to keep costs down I know a Linux distro would be ideal. I've found info on Sparkleshare but since there isn't a "final" Windows client that sort of cancels out that as an option.

So for software if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears...and it would be great if it was somewhat easy to setup and maintain. If possible I'd like to be able to encrypt the data when it is going back and forth.

So have at it :D

Just thought of this...they already have (2) Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) desktops in the office so if there is an option that can possibly run in the background that could work as well. The problem I can think of though is that since it is Windows there may be times when they reboot or go down so I'm not sure how stable of an option that would be.

Thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!