What's new

HELP RT-AX88U no wifi signal after power cycle

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It didn't work. Still need to wait 10mins. I have tried 1 min 3 mins and 5 mins.

How did you test ? did you shut off the mains power to simulate a supply power off (the idea is to have the max amount of 'cable' connected) ? besides, I suspect you are looking at the 2.4Ghz availability (note that the 5Ghz radio may be off just looking for a radar free channel - this by default and depending on the channel can take up to 9 min).

In any case if well tested.. nice try. At least we know now what to expect. In my case this does not bother because when I need the router is 99.99% of the time to serve someone at home, so I can phone call and restart manually if ncessary... if your usage varies then it makes sense that you attempt to have this fixed with ASUS. I will like to read about how this works out.

Last edited:
snake1, mine is A1 and exhibits this problem.
Which leads me to believe this latest firmware is borking all A1 units considering some are not having any issues.
Anyone who is NOT having wifi issues and router web page not opening on this firmware confirm their Hardware revision A1.1 ?

@FTC the person you replied to in post 19 was @sanke1, not 'snake1'. :)

IMO, a ups is basic sop sop infrastructure hardware. You don't need much capacity to run a couple routers, a switch or two,...

(Yes, I know, this doesn't fix a potential underlying problem, but it does bypass the issue. Never seen a similar issue with my rev a1 purchased over 6 months ago, but never plugged it into the wall, just my ups) :)

Which leads me to believe this latest firmware is borking all A1 units considering some are not having any issues.
Anyone who is NOT having wifi issues and router web page not opening on this firmware confirm their Hardware revision A1.1 ?
I disagree with your assessment, my router is A1 version running merlin build based on GPL 7756 and experienced no such issue.

Also I have plugged my router directly in to wall no ups. Most likely faulty units are causing issue you describing.

I just brought it to service center. After 10mins checking they gave me the new unit. I tried to power cycle the new one sometime. It works fine no wifi issue at all. So conclusion the old is a faulty unit.

I just brought it to service center. After 10mins checking they gave me the new unit. I tried to power cycle the new one sometime. It works fine no wifi issue at all. So conclusion the old is a faulty unit.
Great to know this. By the way, is it hw rev. A1 or A1.1 and.. what firmware does it have ?

It is A1 and I have upgraded the firmware to the latest one.
I was questioning because it could also be something 'fixed' by a hw fix (it is not the case if yours is still A1) or by a firmware patch in the bootloader.. by the way, latest firmware (7756) does update the bootloader (CFE) from v1.0.0.9 to 1.0.1.0. I just updated mine firmware to 7756 yesterday, so next time I have to reboot I will test if the problem is still present and will post the results here (it may take a few days to do the test though).

When I tried it at service center, it was using the very first firmware. I believe this is hardware issue.

When I tried it at service center, it was using the very first firmware. I believe this is hardware issue.

In this case yes, the likelyhood that, even if it is a hardware issue it was bypassed in software is very slim (your new unit should have come with the new CFE installed, which given that it is 'A1' same as mine, looks very unlikely).

Last edited:

Here's something interesting (hardware A1) I have one client (happens to be AX -- iPhone 11) that has zero wifi issues on firmware 7756, while all the others slow to a crawl after upgrading. I have since downgraded like the others to 6436 and am solid.

10 seconds is ok but this is 10 minutes. Should i bring it to service center to ask for a replacement? Just wondering what if they try to fix it instead of giving me a replacement and i will have to wait for a long time.
Yes I have same issue. Wifi signal disappearing or too low. It can be fixed if you poweroff device for 10 min and power on. But Asus support really doesn't want to help. This is known issue.

Did you find solution?

Yes I have same issue. Wifi signal disappearing or too low. It can be fixed if you poweroff device for 10 min and power on. But Asus support really doesn't want to help. This is known issue.

Did you find solution?

I brought it to a service center. After 10mins of checking, they gave me a new unit. No issue with a new one.

I brought it to a service center. After 10mins of checking, they gave me a new unit. No issue with a new one.
What H/W revision was the new unit they gave you? Was it A1 or A1.1 and where was it made(China or Vietnam)?

The following worked for me:
  • login to Router page
  • click on Wireless in the left panel
  • click on Professional tab
  • change Enable Radio Yes, and then Apply at the bottom
  • repeat for the other band
No idea why that turned off, but I was also restarting router, and probably didn't wait long enough before turning it back on.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!