What's new

Help setting up VLAN on ASUS RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I haven't heard anything back from @Martineau regarding yay or nay on getting the script to try out.
It sounded like it would work for my situation.
I see he's actively posting stuff. Hope I did't spook him by requesting the script - sorry if I did.
Time to move on. Be well everyone.

Hello Martineau, i'm new to the forum and I did find interesting threads. Running VLAN on Asus router look pretty sharp!
I'am running Merlin 384.19 on RT-AC68U and I love the extra features that the firmware provide.
Next, I will like to implement VLAN tagging on my network using my AC68U.

I would like to try the " VLANSwitch.sh " script on my AC68U, it would be appreciated if i can get a copy of the script for my system ?
have a great day!
thanks
David

Hi , I read all 10 pages because I need to set up Ethernet Vlans on a RT-ac68u.
From what I can gather is that the asus merlin firmware does not support Vlans. That amazes me in 2020 that it does not have a gui for ethernet vlans as people will run IoT devices, ip cameras , Nas etc. on this model router, unless I am missing something. Even a cheap tp link basic router these days support vlans.

I'm not sure what issues you faced with the various other scripts/commands posted on the forum, but if have the time and want to beta-test my script I can send you a link?

Code:
#======================================================================================= © 2016-2018 Martineau 'Router-on-a-stick' v1.18
#
# Configure RT-AC68U LAN Port X as VLAN Trunk for tagged VLAN nnn to downstream switch(s) on separate subnet using '/etc/dnsmasq.conf' or simply assign Port X to a separate subnet.
#
#
# Usage:    VLANSwitch  ['help'|''-h''] | [ [''vlan_id''] [switch_port] ]
#                                       [ ['status' ['verbose'] ['diag'] ['del'['nvram']] ['vpn'[n]] ['vlanfw'] ['nodnsmasq'] ['autodnsmasq'] ['alias='vlan_alias] ['debug'] ['bridge'] ['tcqdisc']
#
#           VLANSwitch  200
#                       Switch port 4 will have vlan200 tagged to it
#           VLANSwitch  200 del
#                       Switch port 4 will have vlan200 removed
#           VLANSwitch  50 status
#                       Show the connected VLAN devices (or Bridge if VLAN is enslaved to one)
#           VLANSwitch  50 status verbose
#                       Show the vlan configuration and statistics etc.
#           VLANSwitch  20 3 vpn2
#                       Switch port 3 will have vlan20 tagged to it and will be forced via the VPN Client 2 (on bridge br2)
#                       and the alias will be taken from the VPN Client GUI 'description' if it exists (Firmware >v380.xx)
#                       or will be taken from '/etc/iproute2/rt_tables' e.g. 'ovpnc2'
#           VLANSwitch  30 vpn1 vlanfw
#                       Switch port 4 will have vlan30 tagged to it and will be forced via the VPN Client 1 (on bridge br1)
#                       Firewall rules will explicitly use vlan30 rather than vlan+
#           VLANSwitch  130 nodnsmasq
#                       Switch port 4 will have vlan130 tagged to it, and vlan130 does not need to exist in /etc/dnsmasq.conf
#           VLANSwitch  150 autodnsmasq
#                       Switch port 4 will have vlan150 tagged to it, and /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add will be modified
#                       NOTE: dnsmasq will be auto-restarted.
#           VLANSwitch  10 1 bridge notag
#                       Switch port 1 will ONLY be vlan10 (not a tagged port), and bridge br10 using vlan111 will be created.
#                       This method is for environments without additional downstream VLAN capable switches
#           VLANSwitch  10 1 bridge notag del
#                       Switch port 1 will have vlan10 removed, and bridge br10 will be deleted
#           VLANSwitch  10 1 bridge notag tcqdisc
#                       Switch port 1 will ONLY be vlan10 (not a tagged port), and bridge br10 using vlan111 will be created and 'tc qdisc' will be added

Hi @Martineau , I have a beloved RT-AC68U router and would like to use your vlanswitch.sh script, if it's still available, and at my own risk, of course.

Could you send me a link to your vlanswitch.sh script?

My purpose on the RT-AC68U units is to have any client plugged into a specific LAN port on the back of the router to get an IP address that is in a separate range from any clients plugged into the other 3 LAN ports.

HI everyone,
I will post my question here as it confuses me as well.
I recently change the internet provider in one of my places and they've said to me that in order to use my own equipment I need to have VLAN with and ID of 101 enabled.
Is this something that I can do by default ona AC68U or I need Martineau script as well.
Thank you,

HI everyone,
I will post my question here as it confuses me as well.
I recently change the internet provider in one of my places and they've said to me that in order to use my own equipment I need to have VLAN with and ID of 101 enabled.
Is this something that I can do by default ona AC68U or I need Martineau script as well.
Thank you,

Hello @Martineau, may I kindly ask to share your vlan script with me as well please?
He's been MIA for a while. You shall look for other answers related to how to use VLANs with Merlin. Is not the ideal unless you have a simple setup. I found some discussions on how to set up VLANs using google before, most here in SNB.

1616967015443.png

Hello @Martineau, may I kindly ask to share your vlan script with me as well please?
I think you’re outside now, but if you Read this message if you can share your script with me i’ll very appreciate

Can you give some examples of cheap TP-Link routers with VLAN support (not IPTV obviously)? None were immediately obvious to me on their website, but they do have a lot of different models.
The TP-Link Omada system has two routers that are relatively inexpensive. The controller runs on just about any PC or you can get a controller like the OC200 The controller does not have to run full time unless you want to have it monitor the system. Add a POE switch an access point and you have a full system that easily supports VLANs. I put together a system for my son and have been testing for a while. Works well. https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/omada-sdn-router/

Does Martineau still share the VLANswitch script?

Jeff

What are you looking to do and on which router model? If it is a 68U (or other non-HND variant) scripting VLAN stuff is pretty easy, especially if you're able to use the "stock" guest VLANs 501 and 502 and their associated subnets etc.

What are you looking to do and on which router model? If it is a 68U (or other non-HND variant) scripting VLAN stuff is pretty easy, especially if you're able to use the "stock" guest VLANs 501 and 502 and their associated subnets etc.

Can you elaborate on this? Currently running an AC5300 and really just need to assign port 4 on it to be a different subnet.

Can you elaborate on this? Currently running an AC5300 and really just need to assign port 4 on it to be a different subnet.

SSH into the router and do "robocfg show" and see if you get an output. I'm not sure which chipset that router has (someone else may be able to confirm too).