What's new

Help: VPN Server + DDNS +Double NAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The problem is you're using OEM firmware. If you used Merlin instead, you'd have the option to check the public IP *externally*, which means the DDNS client would determine the public IP by making a request to a internet website, rather than relying solely on the *internal* IP as defined on the WAN, which when double-NAT'd means its a *private* IP, and NOT remotely accessible based on that IP.

Perhaps if you chose something other than www.asus.com for your DDNS provider (e.g., freeedns.afraid.org, my personal preference), the external/internal option might become available as an option (I don't know for sure because I don't ever use OEM firmare; it's too limiting).
That is correct. The router's WAN IP address does not change.

You need to install Merlin's firmware so that you have the "Method to retrieve WAN IP = External" option. This option is not present in the stock Asus firmware.

View attachment 38595

Thanks for the tip guys, the DDNS is now active.
1642247801263.png1642248089120.png

However, when I ping my DDNS it does not reply with my public ip.
cmd.png

Is there any port-forwarding to be configured or any additional setting that I'm missing?

My main goal is to be able to access the VPN server that is already configured with Open VPN.

******EDIT*********
I was able to make the VPN server to work. The problem was that the ISP router din't allow to forward the port 1194, so I reconfigured the VPN server to use the port 2000 ont the asus router and on the ISP router I forwarded the port 2000 with the IP of the asus router (192.168.1.70).

Thanks a lot for the tips, saved me 50€ that the ISP was asking to come and install an ONT and a router that allowed bridge mode.

Last edited:
However, when I ping my DDNS it does not reply with my public ip.

It won't reply because ping requests from WAN are disabled by default in Firewall.