What's new

Help with a simple Queue on RouterOS please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DanH

Regular Contributor
Setup
hEXr3 on 6.38rc52
WAN interface is named E1WAN
LAN interface is named E2 WAN
The IP address for my PC is 192.186.88.250
Issue
I want to queue all PC traffic with a priority of 1, and all other traffic with a priority of 8.

Steps I have taken:
1.) assigned a new mangle rule with:
Chain:Forward Src address:192.168.88.250 Action: mark connection New Connection Mark: PC_Connection Passthrough: yes
2.) assigned a new mangle rule with:
Chain:Forward Dst address:192.168.88.250 Action: mark connection New Connection Mark: PC_Connection Passthrough: yes
Looks like this in winbox:
winbox_2016-12-29_20-40-53.png
winbox_2016-12-29_20-41-11.png

winbox_2016-12-29_20-41-37.png
winbox_2016-12-29_20-41-52.png

PART 2 NEXT

PART 2

3.) assigned a new mangle rule with:
Chain:Forward Connection Mark: PC_Connection Action: mark packet New Packet Mark: PC_PACK Passthrough: yes
looks like this:
winbox_2016-12-29_20-42-08.png
winbox_2016-12-29_20-42-20.png

4.) I assigned a new simple queue (for pc traffic) with:
Name: PC_QoS Packet Marks: PC_PACK Target Upload Priority: 1 Target Download Priority: 1
looks like this:
winbox_2016-12-29_20-43-00.png
winbox_2016-12-29_20-43-41.png

PART 3
5.) I assigned a new simple queue (for NON-PC traffic) with:
Name: NOT_PC_QoS Packet Marks: no-mark Target Upload Priority: 8 Target Download Priority: 8
looks like this:
winbox_2016-12-29_20-44-46.png
winbox_2016-12-29_20-45-01.png

My Mangle page looks like this, so I can tell it is marking packets right:
winbox_2016-12-29_20-45-33.png

My queue list looks like this:
winbox_2016-12-29_20-45-50.png

Part4

But if I go under the traffic tab for each simple queue don't see any traffic for either of them:
winbox_2016-12-29_21-03-34.png
winbox_2016-12-29_21-03-49.png

Is this is a known bug? Did I do something wrong? Is it really working? If so how can I tell?

Thanks for any help in this matter!

I want to queue all PC traffic with a priority of 1, and all other traffic with a priority of 8.

Maybe reach out to uTik - it's their stuff...

Lots of clever knobs and levers there...

Maybe reach out to uTik - it's their stuff...

Lots of clever knobs and levers there...

Have a post on their forum as well. Not really confident someone will offer help there though. Lot of people on there, not a lot of help.

I would first check if any packets hitting the iptables rules to isolate the issue. Then check the simple queues setup. Sorry, no first hand experience on a Mikrotik. Though reading this tutorial it's straight forward to setup queues of two classes: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=73214#p371300

I would first check if any packets hitting the iptables rules to isolate the issue. Then check the simple queues setup. Sorry, no first hand experience on a Mikrotik. Though reading this tutorial it's straight forward to setup queues of two classes: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=73214#p371300

Thanks kvic, Ill mess around with it some more today. I eventually want to build a little more complex QoS, but not much more. I figured I would start out at the very easiest, and failed lol. I read that example you posted (and a lot of other stuff before I even started). The issue is most stuff is for VOIP and is really old. The other issue is, no one really wants to look at issues you have and tell you exactly what you did wrong, and/or give you a relevant example of how to do it (stark contrast to UBNT where help is plentiful and helpful) . Instead, they give you some really high overview of how it works speaking in generalities (which you already know) or point you to the wiki (which doesn't help as much as it should). I have a hunch most are consultants who want to be paid, or they want you to pay to go to some paid training. Googling gets you a LOT of non English help though.

Regardless, I will figure it out eventually. I figured out installing a SSL certificate, getting IPv6 working, L2TP/ipsec VPN, and am working through the Dude on my own, so its just a matter of trial and error until I get this working.

EDIT-sorry for the pics not working, they were on my end but it is a DNS issue with my website being fixed. Hopefully in the next day, you can see the issue more clearly (since the pics will be working)

Apparently, if you are using fasttrack, you cant use simple queues. So, I guess that grand experiment is over. All I really wanted to do was prioritize PC traffic over everything else, so when everyone else is streaming, the PC would still be capable of gaming without lag going through the roof. I have a 300/20 connection wanted to make sure other devices always had at least 50/4 (and more when the PC wasnt downloading). So I guess I wanted to limit the PC to 250/16 as well.

From what I read fasttrack is automatically enabled or disabled depending on certain criteria is met or not. The criteria is listed on their wiki. Looking at their official benchmark, 25 simple queues are the same speed as fastpath. Even fasttrack is off seems no reduction in speed.

A two class htb shall meet ur need. How was it setup in your ERL? Smart queue can't help. I would think u used advanced queue gui to set it up? Transplanting that to routerOS. I guess you 're very close to get it work.

From what I read fasttrack is automatically enabled or disabled depending on certain criteria is met or not. The criteria is listed on their wiki. Looking at their official benchmark, 25 simple queues are the same speed as fastpath. Even fasttrack is off seems no reduction in speed.

A two class htb shall meet ur need. How was it setup in your ERL? Smart queue can't help. I would think u used advanced queue gui to set it up? Transplanting that to routerOS. I guess you 're very close to get it work.

Actually I just had to turn off the firewall rule that had fasttrack. Once I did that the original configuration i had worked. I will say this, it fixed my bufferbloat issue, I went from a C to an A. One other thing, with 11 firewall rules and two simple queues this router handles 350Mb/s with the CPU topping out at 45%. If I enable any QoS or turn off hardware offload on the ERL, I end up maxing out ~60Mb/s, so yeah this little router is a keeper for me (at least until the fiber hits).

8241623.png

Last edited: