What's new

Help with AIMesh setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

westy

Occasional Visitor
Hello to you all,

I have 4 Asus routers, an ROG 5300, two brand new Ax92u and an older Ac68u. The question I have is which should be the router the 5300 or the 92u in a Mesh setup? I have a 2 story house with a finished basement. All totalled about 4100sqft-ish. I welcome any advice.

Last edited:
I was running the 5300 and 68u and had some major dead spots. I have a cable ISP 600Mbps down with about 20Mbps up.

I’m just not sure how it works. If you make the 92u the router does it “waste” the functionality of the 5300? My understanding with Mesh is you want the most powerful one to be the router. I’m assuming that’s the ax92???

I would agree that the RT-AC92U would be the one to use, of the routers you have available. :)

I would only use the second RT-AC92U and consider retiring/selling the others.

Can you draw us a quick layout of your home and where the routers are positioned? Can they be more optimally positioned (in a central location)?

Part of the issue is router that will run the Mesh is on the main level and if you imagine a box the location is in the top left (about 10 O’Clock - this router runs a PS4 and Nintendo Switch for an emerging online gamer). The second router is on the second level and also along the left wall (literally 15’ to the right of the main modem and straight up - this router runs my PS4, receiver, NAS).

There is nothing on the other side of the house, which includes a deck and backyard so the wifi on that side of the house is sketchy. There is no real way (short of divorce...haha) that I could centralize the routers.

My plan was to have the GT-5300 as the main router (it seems to have the better hardware specs (1GB ram vs 512), then put 1 ax92 in the upstairs bonus room and one on the main floor at the back of the house. That would form basically a triangle between the 3 and souls improve my coverage drastically...

:D

Plan A - place the routers in approved places, see how it goes
Plan B - sign the divorce papers, come back for a better solution

@westy, in that case, I would be using the RT-AC68U for the second level (and possibly in a Media Bridge mode to just use the LAN ports on it) and see how far towards the deck and backyard the second RT-AX92U (as an AiMesh (wireless) node) you can place while still getting the best signal and throughput from it too.

The GT-AC5300 will only be useful in replacing the AiMesh node RT-AX92U as it may possibly give a slightly better range (but possibly a worse combination). But I still think the performance of the network as a whole will be better with the 2x RT-AX92U's as main and AiMesh node along with the RT-AC68U in Media Bridge mode too. I'm assuming all routers are wireless here. If you can run an Ethernet cable to the upstairs room, just use a $20 switch instead.

If you can run an Ethernet cable to the AiMesh node, do so. :)

:D

Plan A - place the routers in approved places, see how it goes
Plan B - sign the divorce papers, come back for a better solution

Haha! It’s like you’re reading my mind!

Any opinion on making the 5300 the main router? I’m not sure how the mix of AC and AX routers works in a Mesh. I’m assuming AX devices still take advantage of AX speeds?

The AX routers will connect to AX clients in AX mode, but they will all be neutered by the AC class router that is feeding them. :)

@westy, in that case, I would be using the RT-AC68U for the second level (and possibly in a Media Bridge mode to just use the LAN ports on it) and see how far towards the deck and backyard the second RT-AX92U (as an AiMesh (wireless) node) you can place while still getting the best signal and throughput from it too.

The GT-AC5300 will only be useful in replacing the AiMesh node RT-AX92U as it may possibly give a slightly better range (but possibly a worse combination). But I still think the performance of the network as a whole will be better with the 2x RT-AX92U's as main and AiMesh node along with the RT-AC68U in Media Bridge mode too. I'm assuming all routers are wireless here. If you can run an Ethernet cable to the upstairs room, just use a $20 switch instead.

If you can run an Ethernet cable to the AiMesh node, do so. :)

Thanks. I can connect all with Ethernet, fortunately.

I think I might try and go without the 5300 (it’ll still sell for a fair bit) if the wifi performance is good then I’ll sell it.

Thanks for all the advice. It is much appreciated. Time for some experimenting!

That (AX) should still be allowed in wired AiMesh mode though. :)

My plan was to have the GT-5300 as the main router (it seems to have the better hardware specs (1GB ram vs 512), then put 1 ax92 in the upstairs bonus room and one on the main floor at the back of the house. That would form basically a triangle between the 3 and souls improve my coverage drastically...

I'd do the same and hope for not too much WiFi... just to see how it works. I'm skeptical of the 92Us so making them matching nodes/APs is appealing to me.

Otherwise, stack the 2-pack AX92s. See how that works. Then maybe add the 5300 node at the back of the house.

OE

Last edited:
I'd do the same and hope for not too much WiFi... just to see how it works. I'm skeptical of the 92Us so making them matching nodes/APs is appealing to me.

Otherwise, stack the 2-pack AX92s. See how that works. Then maybe add the 5300 node at the back of the house.

OE

Just an update, I have just the Ax92s running and so far so good. I left 1 where it was on the main floor as there is an large open space to the bonus room upstairs, I put the other one at the back of the house on the second floor. Both are hardwired for the backhaul. I added an 8 port switch for my stuff in the bonus room.

Thanks for the advice. Anyone wanna buy a slightly used GT-AC5300. Hahaha.

I put the other one at the back of the house on the second floor. Both are hardwired for the backhaul. I added an 8 port switch for my stuff in the bonus room.

Those sound like good adjustments. The second floor back of the house node should cover the yard.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!