What's new

Help with IGMP Snooping and DLNA

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tzr916

Occasional Visitor
I am not a network expert. I simply want DLNA to work properly and not have my network flooded with traffic. I hope some one can help.
I have an R7800 Router (Netgear firmware) that's connected to a GS116Ev2, and all my wired devices go into that switch.
I run a Windows 10 PC Media Server that depends on DLNA for Tv channels and music to multiple client PC's, three networked tv tuners, a Sony Android Tv, a Denon AVR, Roku, FireTv, Chromcast WGTV (wifi), various Samsung "smartthings" (wifi), laptops/mobile devices (wifi).
As previously discussed, I was having issues where DLNA devices (the Denon AVR and Sony Android Tv) would randomly go missing from the Server PC DLNA list, and control of said devices from my Android phone would go "dead". After some reading about the "relationship" between IGMP and DLNA, I tried disabled IGMP Snooping in the GS116Ev2 completely, and have since had zero issues with the DLNA devices going missing... But, now it almost seems like my wired devices are somehow slower, specifically the client PC's.
I didn't have any of these issues with my previous TP Link router through the GS116Ev2 (IGMP Snooping was On by default), so what would be the "correct" IGMP Snooping On settings in the GS116Ev2 and R7800 that will allow DLNA to fully function? Or, since I love my R7800 so much, would an un-managed, or even a different model/brand switch, work better?

Thanks again.

Without IGMP snooping, the DNLA multicast traffic is sent to all devices, instead of only the DNLA clients that are active. That additional unwanted traffic could be the reason for that slowdown.
If that is the case, then probably an unmanaged switch will not solve the slowdown. (as that will also flood all the devices with unwanted multicast traffic.)

I am not a network expert. I simply want DLNA to work properly and not have my network flooded with traffic. I hope some one can help.
I have an R7800 Router (Netgear firmware) that's connected to a GS116Ev2, and all my wired devices go into that switch.
I run a Windows 10 PC Media Server that depends on DLNA for Tv channels and music to multiple client PC's, three networked tv tuners, a Sony Android Tv, a Denon AVR, Roku, FireTv, Chromcast WGTV (wifi), various Samsung "smartthings" (wifi), laptops/mobile devices (wifi).
As previously discussed, I was having issues where DLNA devices (the Denon AVR and Sony Android Tv) would randomly go missing from the Server PC DLNA list, and control of said devices from my Android phone would go "dead". After some reading about the "relationship" between IGMP and DLNA, I tried disabled IGMP Snooping in the GS116Ev2 completely, and have since had zero issues with the DLNA devices going missing... But, now it almost seems like my wired devices are somehow slower, specifically the client PC's.
I didn't have any of these issues with my previous TP Link router through the GS116Ev2 (IGMP Snooping was On by default), so what would be the "correct" IGMP Snooping On settings in the GS116Ev2 and R7800 that will allow DLNA to fully function? Or, since I love my R7800 so much, would an un-managed, or even a different model/brand switch, work better?

Thanks again.
I hate Netgear 'E' series switches. They have a lot of issues. I still have some of them but don't use them anymore. I had R7800 long time ago. The hardware is good but the gui and options suck. It doens't even have IGMP Snooping option except IGMP Proxy option.
GS116Ev2 and some E series have compatibility issues with some devices.
Do this.
Method 1. Uncheck 'Disable IGMP Proxying'
If it doesn't work?
Method 2.

"would an un-managed, or even a different model/brand switch, work better?"
: Yes. TL-SG116. An unmanaged switch is better for you with your network environment. If you really want to use a Netgear managed switch buy GS724T v4.
But I don't recommend 724T for you. Because you should have enough networking knowledge. There are tons of options. Therefore buy an unmanaged switch.

Last edited: