What's new

Help with wiring cat5e - test shows issue with four wires

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tiger eye

New Around Here
Hello all,

I recently discovered this site and have enjoyed reading through the informative posts. This is my first post here and I am hoping to find some wise guidance. I am a learning amateur.

I have a house wired with cat5e. The RJ45 jacks are wired T568A. The main jack (which attaches to the internet signal from a router attached to a cable modem) attaches to a wire which goes to the attic, where all the cat5e wires meet. I have recently purchased a gigabit switch in the attic to feed a LAN through, but have not been getting a signal from this RJ45 jack (and thus, no LAN). The switch has been tested and is good.

I recently purchased a Monoprice LAN cable tester (MCT-108) and ran the tests on the line. I have confirmed that there seems to be an issue with four wires in the cat5e line (white-blue, green, white-brown, brown - this would be wires 2, 5, 7, and 8 on a T568A, or 5, 6, 7, and 8 on a T568B). The connectors on the ethernet cable attached to the RJ45 jack, and the cable connector in the attic, are all properly done. The jack appears to be properly done, as the color of the terminated wires appears to match up with the corresponding T568A code.

So my question is this: what would cause the test results for wires 5-8 to show an issue? Is the wire from this jack to the attic problematic? Or might there be something else?

My gut tells me these wires within this cable were cut somewhere in the wall. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance for any words of insight or advice.

bad tester?
Cable that tests bad was built for 100BT without terminating into the plug the other two pairs?

you can put in a joiner connector like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-RJ45-CA...d=100011&prg=1005&rk=1&rkt=5&sd=290924455130&

Then plug into it a short cat5 cable with the other connect cut off, bare wires. Then short each pair in the bare wires. With an ohm meter on the other end, you can see if there are opens. That is, using the ohm meter as firm proof in case the tester box you have is not right. I have one of those cheap Asian testers and its connectors are flaky.

What "issue" is the cable tested showing? Open connections? Shorts? Miswire?