What's new

Hide SSID - Guest Networks?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pericynthion

Hi everyone - new ASUS and Merlin user (please be gentle) with a quick question. I searched the forum, and understand the 'no-real-security benefit' of hiding the SSID from a couple of previous posts.

Regardless, is there a way to hide the SSID for any created guest networks (from what I can see the 'Hide SSID' only applies to the main 2.4/5ghz networks).

First thing I did after taking the router out the box was install the Merlin f/ware - working like magic so far! This is just a minor 'admin' question in the grand scheme of things..

As far as I know , there is no way to hide the guest SSID , and tbh , there is little or no reason to do hide a network SSID anyway , it's not really any more secure.

a lot of wifi scanners (hardware and software) can find even hidden networks.

Yes. There is a way to hide the guest networks. You will need to SSH or telnet into the router. For example if you wanted disable the SSID advertisement for guest network 1 on the 2.4 Ghz band then type the following.
Code:
nvram set wl0.1_closed=1
nvram commit

Use 0 instead of 1 to make it visible again.

You will then have to disable then re-enable the guest network or restart the router to make it work. I have done this on the N66U and it works for me. I use it because I have a guest network setup for my VPN.

Here is a list of the guest networks and their interface numbers.

2.4 Ghz Radio
wl0.1 ---> Guest Network 1
wl0.2 ---> Guest Network 2
wl0.3 ---> Guest Network 3

5 Ghz Radio
wl1.1 ---> Guest Network 1
wl1.2 ---> Guest Network 2
wl1.3 ---> Guest Network 3

Just want to say that this still works on 380.66_6

This is what open source is all about. The ability to do things that can be done, regardless of whether others think it should be done.

Hi everyone - new ASUS and Merlin user (please be gentle) with a quick question. I searched the forum, and understand the 'no-real-security benefit' of hiding the SSID from a couple of previous posts.

Regardless, is there a way to hide the SSID for any created guest networks

So if you understand that hiding SSID's has no real benefit, why persist in doing so?

Same issue, just not to spread 100 SSIDs as this is for testing or special purposes and maybe used somewhere else as well.

Same issue, just not to spread 100 SSIDs as this is for testing or special purposes and maybe used somewhere else as well.

Every SSID on the same Chip incurs overhead... and that overhead is not cheap...

only working upto 380_69_2 on my RT-AC68U
no more possible since 382 and above :(

and sorry, but overhead is only my own problem if any and I don't see any difference in speed with this enabled !!!

The test build I put up that should let you set the ssid broadcast mode independently for the guest networks instead of following the primary wireless network settings. Use the nvram settings in previous posts.

yes working fine after first test - THANKS!

Could this please be included in Merlins future versions as well?

Thanks for verifying it works.....sent the commit off to Merlin.
This also worked for me, thanks for the info. I was looking for a way to do this.