What's new

CakeQOS High Endurance USB Drive Needed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdlight

Occasional Visitor
I search this site (and the web) before posting, so my apologies for asking a super-newbie question. I'm running Merlin's 384.19 firmware on my AC86U and just installed (and love!) CakeQOS. CakeQOS is installed on an old USB stick that I formatted as ext4 using amtm. I don't plan on running any other Asuswrt-Merlin add-ons. Should I be concerned about the longevity of the drive? Put another way, does CakeQOS, or simply the process of using add-ons at all, cause a lot of writes to the flash drive, and if so, should I replace the drive with a high endurance version? Thanks for your thoughts.

There aren't really any high endurance USB drives. They were never meant to be used like that. I use a 256GB or 512GB Patriot Elite for my routers (and only use about 128GB in any case).

The most robust method currently is to use a PCIe m.2 Enclosure (UGREEN on Amazon is often suggested in the forums here) with a 128GB or larger m.2 SSD inside. With sales, it may be even cheaper than a normal USB 'stick' too of the same capacity, but of significantly lower endurance.

@L&LD, thanks for your reply. I haven't found a high endurance USB stick either, but was thinking of using a high endurance microSD card made to record video from security cameras and the like. There are adapters with a male USB Type A plug that I thought might work, but it sounded a bit kludgy so I thought I'd ask here first.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!