What's new

High Ping on 5G

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sleeps1007

Regular Contributor
On my RT-AC5300 on both 5G I've been getting spikes as high as 600ms. When doing a continous ping couple are under 100ms but the majority is over 100ms reaching up to 600ms. I have no VPN active and I have smart connect enabled also my signal strength is no problem. When I first got this router I never used smart connect till about few days ago and do some tweaks in order for my PC to connect to 5G-2 because I had it connected to that before smart connect and had no issues. I wouldn't think this has anything to do with smart connect because all it does is connect devices to a preferable connection. As far as the number of devices connected it's only 5 (2 are on 2.4 and the others is on either 5G-1 or 5G-2) and I'm not using QoS.

Are there any other tweaks I can do to reduce the latency?

Last edited:
Test/use manual Control Channels.

How often do the spikes occur and how long do they last? If you have DFS channels enabled, try disabling them.

How often do the spikes occur and how long do they last? If you have DFS channels enabled, try disabling them.
Well yesterday it happened very often and was going on throughout whole day and there were about 4 devices connected but soon as it dropped to 2 now the latency is normal. Now I have my router connected to a powerline so that I can place it in a location for better signal and the WAN connection shows 100Mbps meaning the powerline can only go up to 100Mps so I think that may be the reason why there's so much latency when a lot of devices are connected there's not enough throughput.

What do you think?