What's new

Home internet not getting advertised download speeds from ISP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Boo

Occasional Visitor
I'm currently testing on a wired connection using a CAT6 cable to a 1GBPS port. I checked my download speed on speedtest and the result was 100Mbps but 25Mbps upload speed. The current plan I use is 800/25 and ISP is Xfinity.

It seems that the router is incapable of distributing the full speed of my connection. I have to believe it is something to do with my settings on the router. Because I have directly connected to the modem only and was able to achieve the full download speed.

The router I am currently using is the ASUS T-Mobile branded RT AC 68U.

Would anyone mind sharing what the router setting should be to get the full speed of my internet?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221122_031800.jpg
    Screenshot_20221122_031800.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 51
I'm currently testing on a wired connection using a CAT6 cable to a 1GBPS port. I checked my download speed on speedtest and the result was 100Mbps but 25Mbps upload speed. The current plan I use is 800/25 and ISP is Xfinity.

It seems that the router is incapable of distributing the full speed of my connection. I have to believe it is something to do with my settings on the router. Because I have directly connected to the modem only and was able to achieve the full download speed.

The router I am currently using is the ASUS T-Mobile branded RT AC 68U.

Would anyone mind sharing what the router setting should be to get the full speed of my internet?
To get the full throughput you need to be sure hardware acceleration is enabled. Your router is a rebranded AC-1900 and the firmware is locked down so I'm not sure if you can enable hardware acceleration through the GUI but you need to look. With the regular AC68/AC1900 it was an option you could enable however enabling other features such as QOS would disable hardware acceleration.

Also be aware that the firmware on this particular router model hasn't been updated for several years if not more and that no updates are available. That means that security issues with this router can't be corrected.

P.S. I just connected my laptop to a LAN port on a TM AC-1900 which I use as an AP at it had no problem downloading at 942 Mbps which is full gig speed less overhead.

Last edited:
Try a different cable?

And check the port you are connecting to is indeed transmitting at 1G
What he said. That result fits too neatly with the theory that your Ethernet port is running at 100Mbps rather than 1G. Sure, it could be something else, but no other sort of problem would lead to seeing exactly 100Mbps (minus overhead) rather than some other speed.

Not sure about the firmware you're using, but on reasonably recent ASUS firmware you can look in the "System Status/Status" tab on the main "Network Map" GUI page to see what speeds all the router's ports are running at.

If indeed it's running at 100Mbps, a sub-par cable is the most likely cause. Perhaps the port itself is faulty though, so you could try a different port.

I'm currently testing on a wired connection

The result is perhaps because of Fast Ethernet connection, not Gigabit. Check in GUI.

To get the full throughput you need to be sure hardware acceleration is enabled.

This router can do >200Mbps with NAT acceleration disabled. This is not the issue here.

I just connected my laptop to a LAN port on a TM AC-1900 which I use as an AP

When the "router" is in AP mode it turns into a switch with bridged Wi-Fi. This is not a Router anymore.

Disable all the extraneous crap and the speed should pick up.

I am using a Cat6E rated 1GBPS cable 25Ft.
What he said. That result fits too neatly with the theory that your Ethernet port is running at 100Mbps rather than 1G. Sure, it could be something else, but no other sort of problem would lead to seeing exactly 100Mbps (minus overhead) rather than some other speed.

Not sure about the firmware you're using, but on reasonably recent ASUS firmware you can look in the "System Status/Status" tab on the main "Network Map" GUI page to see what speeds all the router's ports are running at.

If indeed it's running at 100Mbps, a sub-par cable is the most likely cause. Perhaps the port itself is faulty though, so you could try a different port.
It is not. I just did some minor tweaking... and using Asus merlin firmware latest update have boosted my download speed to 150-250 mbps but not anywhere the advertised 800 mbps. i have everything turned off in my asus settings. qos, bandwidth limiter, tree spanning protocol, Jumbo Frame, AiProtection off etc

A quick test would be moving a huge file between two devices and clocking the speed. If it can't hit a gig then it's time for different hardware.

Just because it has gig ports doesn't mean it can do gig.

A quick test would be moving a huge file between two devices and clocking the speed. If it can't hit a gig then it's time for different hardware.

how is this done ?

UiEuN64.png

TpH6MDO.png

kShkdiP.png

After I enabled Nat acceleration... my speed jumped to 500+ Mbps.

NAT acceleration is enabled by default. Why did you have it disabled?? :rolleyes:
i started disabling everything so i can see why i was getting low down speeds. but i am making progress as i am getting 500 mbps but not 800.

Well that's an improvement. Now I'd bypass the router and make sure your PC can hit 800 or if it's an ISP issue. You'll need to reboot the modem to get an IP on the PC to test and again when connecting it back to the router.

@Boo, reset this router to factory defaults and don't change anything you don't know about. By default the router has TrendMicro components Disabled and NAT acceleration Enabled. This is your best chance to get up to 940Mbps (Gigabit) wired speeds from this router. On wireless it can do 400-500Mbps to common 2-stream AC client close to the router and depending on your Wi-Fi environment. Do minimal configuration with user/pass and wireless SSIDs/pass only, leave Professional settings on Default and test again.

@Boo, reset this router to factory defaults and don't change anything you don't know about. By default the router has TrendMicro components Disabled and NAT acceleration Enabled. This is your best chance to get up to 940Mbps (Gigabit) wired speeds from this router. On wireless it can do 400-500Mbps to common 2-stream AC client close to the router and depending on your Wi-Fi environment. Do minimal configuration with user/pass and wireless SSIDs/pass only, leave Professional settings on Default and test again.

Sounds good. I will do this. Gonna be PIA logging in all my WiFi devices all over again!

I am using t-mobile branded rt ac68c with asus merlin software.

Sounds good. I will do this. Gonna be PIA logging in all my WiFi devices all over again!

I am using t-mobile branded rt ac68c with asus merlin software.
You can set the SSID info the same but leave everything else as is before tweaking WIFI specific things.