What's new

Home Network Design help with L3 Switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So I setup the router and switch behind my att gateway. I just set the router to get it’s up from the gateway via DHCP and setup a VLAN1 on the 192.168.2.x domain with the router as the DHCP server.

The switch is setup to receive its IP address from the router via DHCP on the 192.168.2.x domain.

Connected my laptop via cable to the switch and got all the firmware’s updated and working smoothly.

I launched FindIT and everything was identified.

Then I added in the WAP581 to the switch via POE and connected my laptop via WiFi (disconnected the hardline). FindIT found the WAP at that point, but couldn’t find anything else. So I logged into the WAP and ran the setup wizard. I updated the firmware first, then set the WAP to DHCP, enabled a cluster, created an SSID on the 5ghz band using VLAN1, and that’s it. Everything working great. Internet is super quick.

*Edit* as with all things windows, a reboot fixed the problem with FindIT

However, FindIT is no longer working?

I can see the wap in my network infrastructure in windows explorer, but not the router or switch, and FindIT isn’t finding anything?

I want to get this basic stuff sorted out before I start getting too advanced :)

Thanks!

Russell

Last edited:
FindIT only works on 1 network without probes. So you want FindIT running on your management VLAN. I use VLAN1 for my management VLAN. I use VLAN1 which is the management VLAN for my LAN, desktop PCs and I run FindIT on a Windows7 PC. At some point I will need to move it to Windows10. So my FindIT PC sees all Cisco equipment but my router since I moved the router to a 30 bit mask VLAN. My router started on VLAN1 so FindIT saw all Cisco equipment at that point.

I don't use DHCP on the WAP581 as I let the L3 switch flow DHCP to the wireless devices. I don't like DHCP in multiple places. I like all my DHCP in 1 location so I can see the whole network picture of devices in 1 place.

Yes the Cisco WAP581 APs are pretty fast.

I run my management VLAN and my default VLAN both on VLAN1. It seems simpler on these small business switches and routers. It is a little bit of a security risk but I accept it.

Show me a screen shot under VLAN Management of Port to VLAN Membership and lets look at your port definitions. We can change your DHCP over to the switch for all VLANs.

Last edited:
I’ll try to grab some screenshots in the next day or 2. Going to be busy tonight with kids stuff and World Series :)

I should clarify that I only have the router doing DHCP. The switch and WAP are using DHCP to get their IP address, not assigning IP addresses. Or in other words, I haven’t set any static IP addresses for any of the Cisco equipment.

I just wanted to get everything connected and make sure it all works properly.

Now that I know everything works, I can start working through the proper setup with static IP’s for each piece of hardware as well as a few of my connected devices. I like to use static IP’s for all fixed location equipment (PC’s, media streamers, WiFi switches, etc). Laptops and other mobile equipment use DHCP as they often have to connect to multiple networks.

I’ll get everything setup on VLAN1 at first, and then progress through setting up a separate router VLAN and then other VLANS as necessary (still haven’t figured out what VLANS I want to use).

You can use DHCP for Cisco devices since your network is small and you are running FindIT. FindIT will keep track of all your hardware. Let's move forward and set your switch up. You can leave DHCP running on the router while you set up DHCP on the L3 switch. Once we have DHCP running on the switch we can turn it off on the router. Running both won't hurt anything it just means the devices on the router's DHCP will not see the other VLANs on the L3 switch.

Once you have DHCP running on the L3 switch you need to pull the WAP581 and factory reset and setup again so it will use DHCP off the L3 switch.

Sweet! Thanks.

I was poking around and I’m not entirely certain where/how to enable DHCP on the switch?

I currently have VLAN1 defined on the router using the 192.168.2.x domain with basically no changes to the switch as of now.

There is an IP Configuration menu under which you should be able to start DHCP server and then define your scope for DHCP VLAN1. The VLAN for the router and the switch should be the same until we move it which will be the last thing we do. Do not define VLANs on the router just add the network IP you want to use which I thought you were going to use 192.18.1.0. Where did 192.168.2.0 come from? It really does not matter on the IP network we just need to keep it straight. Once we define all the networks we won't want to change them later on. So are you going to use 192.168.2.0 for VLAN1 on the SG350 switch and RV340 router?

I don't believe there is a place on the SG350 switches to define layer3 mode. It is automatic.

PS
Maybe first step is define VLAN1, VLAN3, VLAN4, and VLAN5 IP networks. What about this? We will just skip VLAN2.
VLAN1 192.168.2.0
VLAN3 192.168.3.0
VLAN4 192.168.4.0
VLAN5 192.168.5.0

Last edited:
I’m currently running this in a test setup so I used 192.168.2.x so that I wouldn’t have any IP conflicts (the att gateway is using 192.168.1.x and is still acting as the DHCP server for the remainder of the devices on my network.)

I can (and would prefer to) switch to 192.168.1.x.

I’m definitely good to setup a few VLANs up front and then define the devices later.

I’ll also have to figure out how to setup LAG mode for the WAPs :)

Do not define VLANs on the router just add the network IP you want to use which I thought you were going to use 192.18.1.0.

Just so I’m understanding this, VLAN1 is automatically created on the router under the LAN->VLAN Settings screen. I’m not currently adding any additional VLANs.
On that VLAN settings page, the VLAN1 is currently setup as a DHCP server with range 192.168.1.100-149.

There is also a LAN/DHCP settings page which also shows VLAN1 operating as an IPv4 server with the range 192.168.1.100-149. Any changes I make on the VLAN page are reflected on the LAN/DHCP Settings page and vice versa.

I don’t really understand why there’s two locations to enter IP info?

Anyhow, just want to make sure that’s how I want it setup for now on the router.

Just so I’m understanding this, VLAN1 is automatically created on the router under the LAN->VLAN Settings screen. I’m not currently adding any additional VLANs.
On that VLAN settings page, the VLAN1 is currently setup as a DHCP server with range 192.168.1.100-149.

This sounds right to me on the RV340 router. We now need to connect the L3 switch. It will automatically do DHCP from the router. Once you figure out the MAC address for the switch try to set the IP for the switch to 192.168.1.254. This IP will become the default gateway for the switch in the future. If you can't figure out how to do this we can use any IP address but remember it will be used a lot as the default gateway in the future. If you can go in and just set a static on the switch that will work fine. At some point we are going to turn off DHCP on the router so we need a static IP. Please set the port on the switch to the router as an access port in VLAN1. Do not use a trunk port.
PS
I assume you decided to use network 192.168.1.0 for VLAN1. I will go with that.

After this setup we need DHCP setup on the switch with the IP network and any range I usually start with 50-150 so if I need statics in the management VLAN but this is flexible so we can use anything.

Last edited:
I’m trying to work through this setup on the switch. It’s not really clear to me where to set the IP address on the switch?

I can set an IPv4 interface address on VLAN1 on the switch. Is that the correct way to set the static IP address?

I’m not understanding what you mean regarding how to connect the switch to the router?

The interface for VLAN1 sounds right.

Connect switch with an Ethernet cable to port 1 on the router and using port 1 on the L3 switch. I think the default port is access on the SG350 switches. I don't have one yet I can't say for sure. The SG300 switches are defaulted to trunk so it needs to be changed.

Okay, so I’ve set the up address of the switch and I’ve connected the router to the switch via port 1 on the router and port26 on the switch (port 1 on the switch is a 60W PoE port so I didn’t want to use it for the router connection).

Now I presume I need to turn off DHCP on the router?

It is Ok to run both DHCPs at the same time right now. You must make the following changes first so routing will happen.

A couple of tidbits. The default gateway for your L3 switches needs to be the router IP address.

When setting up DHCP on the switch the 192.168.1.254 needs to be the default gateway. This is the IP for VLAN1 interface.

This means all local traffic will be sent to the L3 switch for routing. If the L3 switch does not find the IP network it will be forwarded to the router through the L3 switch's default gateway.

Last edited:
It is Ok to run both DHCPs at the same time right now. You must make the following changes first so routing will happen.

A couple of tidbits. The default gateway for your L3 switches needs to be the router IP address.

I’m a bit confused here. Are you saying the default gateway for my SG350 switch needs to be the router ip (192.168.1.1)? If so, where do I set the default gateway?

When setting up DHCP on the switch the 192.168.1.254 needs to be the default gateway. This is the IP for VLAN1 interface.

The DHCP screen for VLAN1 doesn’t have anywhere to enter the default gateway.

This means all traffic will be sent to the L3 switch for routing. If the L3 switch does not find the IP network it will be forwarded to the router through the L3 switch's default gateway.

They may have changed from default gateway to default route which is more correct since we are working at layer3. It is default gateway on my SG300 switch.

Look under IP configuration on the menu under IPv4 under IPv4 routes. I am not positive where it is on the SG350 switch as I don't have one.

Default gateway will not be under an interface as it is global. Look at statement above.

PS
You are looking for 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 going to your router IP address

Last edited:
Okay, found the switch default gateway under IPv4 static routes. It’s definitely not clear though.

I had to enter the destination prefix (0.0.0.0) the prefix length (0), the next hop (router IP). Hopefully that’s correct?

For the DHCP setup, I do see an option under the network pool dialog to specify the default router IP address. Is this what I should set to the switch IP address of 192.168.1.254?

Sounds good. The test now is plug your PC into an access port on the switch in VLAN1 and change over to DHCP on the switch. You can do this in Windows at least by rebooting or bring up a command prompt and type config /release then type config /renew. You should be on the switch's DHCP. Check by looking at the default gateway, 192.168.1.254. Type config on a command prompt and check the default gateway.

Let me know when this works. You should have internet access also. We can work on your wireless next.

PS
If I am not real straight forward it could be because I drank a bottle of wine. It seems to affect my typing fingers.

Last edited:
Lol! Now worries at all.

Everything seems to be working.

Ah, I spoke too soon. I’ve lost internet when I changed the DHCP default router to 192.168.1.254.

Actually, I’m not sure what broke the internet. I tried removing the default gateway info and I still don’t have internet.

I’m wondering if it’s a problem having the Cisco switch with the same IP and subnet as the ATT gateway?

Last edited:
Ready for wireless?

You need to create a trunk port for your wireless and connect it with a Ethernet cable. We will just start with VLAN1 and then add the guest LAN later. You will need to factory reset the wireless since it has DHCP on it. The wireless will receive an IP address in VLAN1. You can use it or assign a static IP in VLAN1. Then you need to run the wireless wizard for both radios but not for the guest just skip it. It should now work and all clients will be assigned a DHCP IP address from the switch. Make sure you configure single point setup since you have 2 WAP581 APs.

Configure the next WAP581 by joining the single point setup and a trunk port on the switch. The second WAP581 will receive the same setting from the first one.

Next we can build the guest VLAN.

Last edited: